on 8 October 2007
Quite simply, Hairspray is in my opinion, one of the best films to have been on at the cinema this year. However, what makes it so successful is its fantastic soundtrack. Opening number 'Good Morning Baltimore' is a great feel good tune and other classic tracks such as 'Without Love' with lyrics such as 'I never looked inside myself but on the outside I looked good' and 'It's like getting my big break and laryingitus'(apologies for spelling!),you know you are onto a winner! As for the singing, all in all very good although I thought Nikki Blonsky's voice started to grate after a while, despite it being amazing compared to my own voice! All I can say is that we need more fantastic soundtracks and films like this as it is practically impossible to not smile when listening. Great stuff all round.
on 21 July 2007
Fantastic film - made fabulous by the superb music and the superb acting & dancing. Fabulous rock n roll music which will make sense once you've seen the film! I can honestly say this is the first film I've ever seen at the cinema, where people watching the film have actually stood up and started dancing! Why? Because of the music....
VINE VOICEon 2 August 2007
If you enjoyed the film, which I'd bet good money you did, then you'll absolutely adore this soundtrack. It includes all the songs, plus a couple more [heard in the credits] and they are pretty much in their entirety, giving you the full spirit and beat of the movie. A must-have for any musical collection!
on 25 July 2007
I have just returned from the cinema watching this film and the first thing I did was to order this soundtrack! The score is awesome, thesinging is AMAZING! Who'd have thought Christopher Walken could sing?

I recommend this CD to everyone in the entire world!
on 27 January 2015
Cheesy? check.... Makes you think? check.... catchy tunes? absolutely!

Love the movie, love the musical, love the soundtrack!

Favourites include the upbeat Hey mama welcome to the 60's, Nicest kids in town, and You can't stop the beat - but I still love Ms Baltimore Crabs... makes me laugh at how horrid the character is! All the songs are brilliant though - probably would have thought people wouldn't buy it without having seen the film / musical - but it's very cheesy, but also poignant with how it addresses racial equality / integration issues in the 60's - And John Travolta as Mama Turnblatt.... with Cristopher Walken as his husband (Timeless to me) is so lovely!

I like to listen to this on cold wintery mornings when I don't wanna get up or stuck in traffic... can't help smiling whilst listening.... or belting the songs out... However, if you haven't seen the film / show some of the characters are (ironically) racist - part of the issue that is raised and conquered in the movie, but listening to some of the lines, if you don't know the movie, potentially might upset people... and Amber's mum (superbly played by Michelle Pfeiffer) is essentially horrible and rude about Tracy's size too! Well played as I hated her!!! Hateful character, her counterpart being Queen Latifah - fabulous as always - belting out Big blonde and beautiful - love all of it... Listen to the samples if you can, and you'll get a feel for the tone, but can listen to this over and over.... also Zac Efron(Link) , Amanda Bynes (Penny) and James Marsden (Corny Collins) with Elijah Kelley (Seaweed) and Brittany Snow (Amber) also have great songs too! Cheery, cheesy but with a serious message - LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!
on 8 January 2009
This is an awesome soundtrack. Zac Eflon has a really nice voice..if I was a director I know a great character that he could be casted as with that voice!
The whole soundtrack is an upbeat, feel happy, don't be depressed piece which is great cos thats what we need at the moment, happy cheerful songs. My favorites on the soundtrack are "run and tell that", "Big, Blonde and Beautiful" and "It takes two". Sure its 60's ish..but its fun! Especially is you wanna do some karaoke with it...gives you one great time!
I’ve been a huge musical fan since my early days, and love the period of the big MGM musicals, from the 30’s, 40’s 50’s and 60’s.

I saw the film back in 2008 and really enjoyed the musical and decided to add this to my musical soundtrack collection.

With this CD you get a lovely little booklet that has all the lyrics to the songs in the movie.

Music is composed by MARC Shaiman and the Lyrics are by Scott Wittman and Marc Shaiman.

With this movie being set in 1960 the composers have come up with some great catchy melodies that are reminiscent of that time.

The cast of the movie did a great job with singing these wonderful songs. :-)

Although I love all the songs on this soundtrack my real favourite is “You can’t stop the beat”. :-)

It’s a great CD with uplifting and bouncy melodies that will put a smile on your face, (just like the film does). :-)

I can highly recommend this CD to anyone who loves a good musical. :-)
on 23 August 2010
Ever since I first saw the original John Waters non-musical film I have absolutely LOVED Hairspray and so you can imagine my delight when I heard that it was going to be a musical first on stage then in this 2007 film version. I had a totally fabulous time at the show and I feel that the film goes a long way to replicating the energy and excitement of the stage version. This cd soundtrack from the film is absolutely brilliant with excellent performances from all the cast, especially Nikki Blonsky as the exuberant and full of beans Tracy Turnblad. Among so many gems my especial favourite song has to be Michelle Pfeiffer's lament at the lack of talent in the youngsters these days compared to when she was "Miss Baltimore Crabs", she's wonderful camping it up to the max! I would recommend this soundtrack to all musical lovers who want to have a good time and guarantee you'll be humming and singing along in no time.
on 2 August 2009
This is a great soundtrack to an enjoyable movie.

The album book has all the words to every song so now you can sing along to your favourite track the soundtrack does express the feelings the America's had for blacks in the 1960's.

This soundtrack is a good gift for a fan of the film or and good CD if like music from musical.

There plenty of talent on this disc Zac Efron of High School Musical and the legend John Travolta from GREASE.

This is a great buy and a great price with Amazon prime.
on 21 July 2011
Hairspray - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Shows the segregation that occurred in the 60's in the very enjoyable way that bring the point home.
With all the characters playing along, in a very camp manner. Very enjoyable for all the family, that hits all levels, so that children get it on one level but adults are able to enjoy it at a different level, and can explain it so that it does not occur again!