on 24 July 2013
I heard this album in early 1993, when a friend made me a copy on a cassette tape. The album cover caught my eye previously in HMV and I wondered what this band would sound like. When the friend said I should have a listen, I was hooked. I had never heard anything like this before.
I would call this album flawless from start to finish and have yet to hear another that had the same impact on me as a 16 year old, pre-internet - I have fond memories of going through two CD's in one year as I wore them both out.
Coincidentally, Tom Morello said he had the same feelings when he first heard The Clash's 'London Calling', and I can completely empathise with him over this release.
As grunge made the previous genre of metal seem silly, this makes grunge seem pointless and vain. It doesn't let up from the very first opening seconds to chaotic closure. I can still put this on and feel a tingle down my back 20 years later.
Thankfully, the band didn't really sell out to mass appeal, and followed up with another great album, Evil Empire.

I feel sorry for kids looking for something outside of the pop charts realm who no longer have this type of on offer. The 90's was a pretty good era for energetic, intelligent, breakaway bands.
on 4 January 2010
Now this is great music. Rage are one of the most underutilized bands the has been. With meaningful, political lyrics from Zack De La Rocha, Amazing guitar riffs from Tom Morello and funky and catchy bass work by Tim Commerford and drum beats by Brad Wilk. Certainly one of the best albums i've ever heard.
1.Bombtrack- Excellent opener that stright away puts together rages best qualities, with some of the best guitar riffs i've hear'd.10/10
2.Killing in the Name- One of rages best known songs. Mostly known for it's last swear word packed verse. But the song is a classic with some superb guitar riffs.
3.Take the Power Back- Great song which consentrates on funky beats and Zacks political rapping.9/10
4.Settle for Nothing- The weakest song on the album but still very good, keeps quiet and increasingly gets loud.8/10
5.Bullet in the Head- Excellent and very catchy tune with some grat guitar and bass playing.9/10
6.Know Your Enemy- Fantastic song with some brilliant guitar playing and catchy rythem.10/10
7.Wake Up- Another brilliant song with alot of raw power on display and excellent effects.10/10
8.Fistful of Steel- Underrated song that has an excellent beat to it and the last minute and a half is brilliant.9/10
9.Township Rebellion- Great song that's tune changes and becomes a strong message.9/10
10.Freedom- Fantastic end song thats very powerful.10/10
on 22 December 2011
rage against the machine are a class act and you will reach for this album again and again, also check out their other albums !!!
on 7 January 2013
There is meaning within:. You tell me how many words to write!? You got a bullet in your head! Listen to the words.
on 13 July 2013
I got this on MP3 to replace the tape I copied from a friend in high school. It still has the same impact!
on 23 May 2015
Not what I had expected
on 12 February 2012
Handle with care as this LP psychs you up for angry confrontation. For example do not listen to this then try intalellectual debate - if u can spell it - coz u will just rant and then smash something and look stoopid - nuff said ;)
on 10 May 2009
Remember the clubs when your feet stuck to the floor, there was no quibble over buying alcohol at buy one get one free and you weren't worried about fighting because people were too busy dancing their botties off to cracking rock tunes like 'Bullet in the head'? Then this is one album you should already have, and if not why not?