Format: Audio CDChange

I loved all the songs on the first Dreamboats And Petticoats compilation, but I prefer this album because although there are all sorts of wonderful hits, there are some lesser known but wonderful songs from the period also included.

You'll find enough to keep you happy as a fan of the era, and you'll learn some new songs you probably didn't know before, as well as the fact that this is a gloriously nostalgic album, whether or not you were around to hear these songs when they were initially released.

The music sounds as fresh today as it ever did, and I am really thrilled that there are albums like this being released to both recapture those times for those who were there the first time around, and to attract new listeners who more than likely weren't.

A great trip back in time to the dance halls of the 50s and 60s, and an essential album for fans of the era who want an overview of such music.
55 comments35 of 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
In the Mid-Fifties 'Bill Hayley' and the 'Comets' featured in the film 'Rock around the Clock' since when his name has always been associated with the birth of 'rock n roll' most certainly the music scene was changed forever, it was truly the beginning of a golden age of 'Rock' and 'Pop'.
Many of the top artists of that time are featured on this album which covers hits from the mid-fifties through to the early and mid sixties,
Of course many major artists are not featured, but there are a few 'one-hit' wonders on board.
However included are some rock legends like 'fats domino' 'Little Richard' ( one of the great stage performers of the era ) 'Jerry Lee' who's best remembered 'Great Balls of Fire' is included, as of course is 'Bill Hayley'
I will just highlight a few examples of what can be expected on each of the two discs........disc one........'Three Steps To Heaven' --
'Eddie Cochrane'........'Roy Orbison' --'In Dreams'........'Adam Faith' --'Poor Me'........'Bryan Hyland' --'Sealed With a Kiss'........'Bill Hayley' --'Shake Rattle and Roll'........and........'Tab Hunter' --'Young Love'...........just a sample of the many memories to be found on disc one..........disc two........'Elvis' --'It's Now or Never'........'The Everlys' --'Till I Kissed Her'........'Buddy Holly' --'Rave On'........
'Tommy Roe' --'Shelia'........'Billy Fury' --'I'll Never Find Another You'........'Conway Twitty' --'It's Only Make Believe'........and........
'The Platters' --'The Great Pretender'........again just a few of the fondly remembered tracks to be found on disc two......it's got to
be worth checking out the complete play-list if you like the look of the few i've highlighted.
Sadly many of the artists featured are no longer with us including 'The King'..'Elvis' the big 'O' Roy Orbison' and of course the great ' Buddy Holly' and 'Eddie Cochrane' the latter two having died in tragic accidents.
'Adam faith' and 'Billy fury' are also among those no longer with us, earlier this year we also lost one-half of The Everlys, youngest brother, 'Phil' ....there are several more among the cast that are no longer with us, ...but their star shines bright..........the music they left behind lives on along with the memories many of us still have of them.
22 comments3 of 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 December 2008
Listening to this CD set brought back so many memories of my childhood. Not my music, but my parents!

As a small child I remember The Everley Brothers, Billy Fury, Elvis, Connie Francis, Brenda Lee and all of the others being played on our stereogram. It's music I grew up with, my father twirling me round while dancing with me. Even though I was only a small child I recognize most of the songs on this compilation, they've stood the test of time and sound just as great today as they did back then - pure nostalgia!

A double CD set with over 50 tracks, a great collection and a must buy for any fan of music from the 50's and 60's.
0Comment25 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 November 2008
What a great compilation, fab songs, what a great era for music!! And what a treat, the Jason Donovan song is fantastic! I have just heard it on the radio and although its a new song its sounds just like Jason is doing a guest vocal spot on an original Shadows track! And its actually Hank Marvin playing on it! Buy it now!!
VINE VOICEon 16 February 2009
Another great compilation.most of these were pre Beatles so they were and are not played as much as they should be.The Beatles swept away a whole swathe of both British and US artistes who we never heard of again but were very good. Del Shannon survived and was headlining the Beatles first tour.

My early teen years was populated by Bobby Vee Lesley Gore and Brian Hyland. Bill Haley brought acceptable rock and roll to Britain in the fifties with Rock around the clock.Roy Orbison was loved in Britain

In Britain by the mid sixties you could hear almost continuous pop music but when these songs first came out we did not have access to so much. I always look for tracks that are not so often on compilations .

On this one for instance there is To know him is to love him on CD one and on CD two the great Like I do by Maureen Evans and Please Don't ever change by the Crickets.These tracks you never hear on the radio.

There is a good mix of the well known with the less well known.

It takes you back to post war Britain holidays at the seaside fish and chips the end of National service.

It is hard to believe how things were shops closed ON Sundays, only BBC to listen to. Nowadays we have unlimited music but is it worth listening to?

Great nostalgia and great music that has stood the test of time.
11 comment10 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 November 2008
The tag-line says "Original Hits, Original Artists" but the Jerry Lee Lewis hit "Great Balls OF Fire" is not the 1950s studio recording with the great timing that I remember, but some live version from '63 wirh girl backing singers and a rather laid-back rendition. Maybe the original song, but not the original hit recording. Shame, beacuse I was hoping to have that recording on CD, as I only have it on vinyl. I was also puzzled by the lone Elvis song "It's Now Or Never", when I would have preferred songs like "Jailhouse Rock", "Heartbreak Hotel", "Blue Suede Shoes", "Hound Dog" or "All Shook Up" rather than a song from Elvis' post-army period. Probably down to licensing costs (again). However the sound quality of the recordings, like the first compilation in the series is great!
11 comment24 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 April 2009
Dreamboats & Petticoats 2If you bought the first one of these, you will love this one too. Takes me back to the 60's. These are on my ipod now and will be on holiday with me this year. Great!!
on 7 June 2009
We went as a family to see the show and thought it was so fab we had to get the sound track. My kids love singing Rock 'n Roll and this compilation is a regular favourite in our house. Well recommended!
on 2 February 2010
Fabulous compilation and very, very nostalgic. There are some tracks that I have not heard since they were in the "Hit Parade". Takes me right back to Radio Caroline and taping the music on my huge Grundig tape recorder in my bedroom. Sitting at the window waiting and watching for my boyfriend of the day speeding up the road to pick me up on his Triumph Tiger 650....... or getting dressed up in my gingham full swingy out skirt ready to got to the local hop. FABULOUS!
on 29 January 2009
This album really took me back to my childhood and it had a selection of songs that were really enjoyable, can't wait for the next one!!