Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£3.99

on 20 June 2011
I collect and listen to albums lot more than greatest hits, best of, very best of, collection CDs from any band. Half the songs in such compilations are never my favourites. I'm album-oriented listener. There's a whole lotta joy listening to music holding the CD cover in hand going through lyrics, infos, arts and photos. That way I can imagine and get the whole picture of the album, the band and their music, message and philosophy.

But this Journey's Greatest Hits is different. I never listened to any album by Journey in the 80's. 80's being great era of rock 'n' roll when it ruled. I got introduced to Journey with this 'Greatest Hits'. Since I am hooked to it and I feel it's one of the great rock album ever made rather than compilations. I became a great fan of Journey. I was not new to Steve Perry though. I loved his voice in 'If Only For The Moment Girl' from 'USA for Africa', and 'Oh Sherrie' and 'Foolish Heart' from 'Street Talk'.

Steve Perry's voice and Neal Schon's guitar are what make Journey distinctive I think. That's why maybe, after Steve Perry, the band always sought for singer whose voice sounds similar to Steve's. Steve Augeri, Arnel Pinada and etc. But in my opinion, despite all being great singers, no one could top Steve Perry. He has the originality. I wish Mr. Perry would come back.

I recently attended Journey concert together with other great bands Foreigner and Styx. The current singer Arnel Pinada is of course talented, wonderful and powerful. The band did two albums with him - 'Revelation' and 'Eclipse'. Both great albums. But most of the songs they performed were from here. All the songs that you need to know about Journey are here in this Greatest Hits. This album is what Journey is all about. This album has been what Journey means to me. These are the songs that defined Journey. The journey of Journey.
on 1 July 2004
This CD is a wonderful collection of great Journey songs. The one I received has fifteen songs, which includes everything on the list above, plus Who's Crying Now. The sound quality is excellent, and plays fantastically in my headphones. The paperwork in the case folds out to a small poster with the words to the songs on one side, and color pictures of the band and albums on the other. This is a great CD, with great songs. I highly recommend it!
0Comment42 of 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 November 2000
I heard' Don't Stop Believin' and it blew me away. So I bought this album and guess what? It blew me away too. Journey are one of the finest bands ever. Brilliant musicianship, excellent songwriting, and Steve Perry's voice has to be the most amazing ever. This is a truly great compilation and is guaranteed not to disappoint.
0Comment36 of 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2016
One of the strongest hits collections ever assembled, this is a superb selection of supreme tracks by a band whose phenomenal musical output surely puts them up there with the best rock bands of all time. Steve Perry's singing is unsurpassed in the annals of popular music, and it could justifiably be argued that only a handful of other vocalists have reached his astonishing level. Perry turns each and every song into an event. Despite the soaring qualities of his voice, he avoids over-playing it and doesn't need to resort to histrionics to blow the listener away. As it that's not enough, we then have the guitar work of Neal Schon, a veritable maestro who makes his each and every contribution a telling one. And then there are the songs themselves: timeless, priceless works of art, ranging from touching ballads to all-out rock, with not a dull moment in between. Many are familiar with the perenially acclaimed "Don't Stop Believin'", a thrilling example of a top band at its best. But you will find many more nuggets of gold here: "The Girl Can't Help It" is a smooth AOR blockbuster with fantastic harmonies, and a lesson in how a rousing chorus can be achieved with just a few musical notes; "Wheel in the Sky" is a grower, requiring a handful of listens before hitting home with a vengeance; and "Open Arms" is a beautiful ballad, and another example of Steve Perry's ability to interpret a song in a way which leaves no room for improvement. Amazon are offering this CD for a paltry penny short of six quid - and with a free MP3 version thrown in, this represents top-notch value for money. There is no filler on this album: you get 15 brilliant tracks, courtesy of one of the best bands around.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is one of the better places to go to start listening to the music of Journey. You get a good selection of tracks, which covers their most well known songs and a few others for good measure. The booklet folds out into a poster and the artwork is great. From tracks like 'Don't stop believing' to 'Who's crying now' you know you're on familiar ground and if you like 70's and 80's rock you can't really go wrong. If you want an introduction to this classic rock band then this is the place to go.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
0Comment14 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 April 2015
In the UK, Journey are almost one-hit wonders in terms of singles (their only other sizeable hit over here was 'Who's Crying Now', which rose no higher than no.46), but this American rock band had far more success stateside than that one song, 'Don't Stop Believin'', which has become their signature song and a true power ballad.

This classic greatest hits album from 1988 has been re-issued several times, and provides an excellent playlist of songs. This is good, uplifting music that will appeal to people who wouldn't consider 'rock' to be one of their favourite genres, and yet, it's never really cheesy. I particularly enjoy 'Wheel in the Sky', 'Only the Young', 'Any Way You Want It', 'Ask The Lonely', and the ballad 'Faithfully'. With good song writing, a soulful vocal courtesy of Steve Perry, and most of the tracks have '1980s' written all over them, I do like the CD very much.

If you only know Journey for the one song, you'll find yourself some more favourites on this 15 track compilation. All the essentials are here, making it perfect for the casual fan.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 October 2010
Hi there folks, just a short review my wife is an avid journey fan and said she would like their greatest hits cd looked in the stores but found that no one could beat Amazon on price and it also had free delivery. Its got to make sense to buy from these guys, will always use them first rather than the high street.
on 6 September 2010
This album is fantastic, I have never owned a Journey album before this, had heard quite a few of their tracks, but I am so pleased I bought it, its just fab can listen to it anytime now loaded onto ipod. Fantastic
on 30 April 2010
brilliant, excellent value for money.not a journey fan in my youth but had heard "dont stop believin" which i think the original is best sorry joe.
found other tracks great too. good place to start on your jouney with journey.
on 4 January 2010
I think that this must be the most amazing greatest hits collection I have ever come across!
' Don't stop believing ' had been one of my most favourite tracks forever but I'd never encountered anything else by Journey that was until I stumbled upon this. There are no dud songs just total entertainment throughout. I first played it driving cross country and for once did't care less about traffic jams- I just wanted to hear the next track!! A must buy for anyone out there. One play and you'll be asking Bon Jovi who?!!!