1,473
Colour Name: Black|Change

on 13 December 2010
Got these a replacement to the CX300 mk1s which I have been using every day as I walk to an from work.

First thing to note is the build quality. A bigger, gold plated jack looks and feels alot sturdier. Its bigger size has however not been a hinderance. The junction reinforcement, where each cable splits off has also been beefed up making these feel much more resilient. Not much has visually changed with the driver unit, it has now got a sloped back but overall looks to be the same size etc.

The biggest difference comes in the sound department (where it matters!). The bass response is much better and is pretty astounding for in-ear headphones at this price. I quite like walking along to the odd dance track and tunes like Mylo - Destroy Rock 'n' Roll (Tom Neville Clean remix) sound excellent. The bass has plenty of weight and presence and the high end is tight & crisp.

I'm not going to comment on how well these head phones fit as that is a completely personal interaction, they either will or they wont. There are three different sized rubber ear pieces included, so hopefully one pair will work. There is also a soft sprung clasp pouch included, for stowing the headphones when no in use. This is a welcome extra but I've reverted back to my usual hard shelled tin as it offers a bit more protection whilst bouncing round my bag.

To summarise, if you already own CX300s, the mark twos are a worthwhile upgrade. If you are in the market for in-ear headphones, these should not be overlooked. Top Quality Sound and Build for next to nothing.

**** ONE YEAR EDIT ****

Well after a year of daily use (hour walk to and from work) a connection in the left ear has gone. Resulting in only faintly audible levels coming from the left hand side. There's a two year warranty so it should be covered.
1010 comments| 244 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 May 2014
Alas, I am no longer at the mercy of rubbish, overpriced Apple earphones.

I was once happy to call myself a proud owner of Sennheiser earphones. I used them everyday, starting from the moment I'd leave the house, and couldn't be more pleased with the quality of sound delivered. On one fateful day, over 2 years after they were purchased, they were snagged by a hook on the train, which rendered them useless and left me feeling utterly desolated.

Having bought an iPhone 5, the newest, coolest phone on the block at the time, I was sure their redesigned earphones would do the trick. Ah, if only that were the case. They work alright when I'm at home in utter silence, but if I dare attempt to use them in a noisy environment, I hear nothing but faint voices and murmurs in the background. Maybe it's my brain telling me it's time to get some Sennheisers.

I am pleased to have succumbed to this temptation. I bought these only 2 days ago but I have not enjoyed my music this much in a long time. The sound is crisp, the bass is thick and distinguished, the voices sound natural and clear. You know that loud, annoying group of friends chatting hysterically when you just want to listen to your damn music? You can forget about them. And the wailing baby. And the vigorous roar of the bus engine. The Sennheisers will clog your ear up, and you won't hear squat from the world around you unless it damn pleases you.

All in all, 5 stars. Does exactly what I want it to and no more.
0Comment| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 September 2009
Do you want to listen to music without other people hearing it? Do you like black things with little shiny silver bits on them? Then these might just be for you!

Features include:
- decent sound quality, as far as I can tell. But I'm just some pleb listening to 256kbps MP3s, not George Martin with a DAT machine.
- pretty good bottom end, if you like that sort of thing. If you don't like that sort of thing, change the EQ setting and I'm sure you'll be fine; otherwise it's a bit like sticking your pinky finger too far into your earhole.
- reasonably durable. I've had them a couple of weeks and they haven't broken yet.
- fairly comfortable, insofar as sticking foreign objects into your ear ever can be.
- sensibly priced. But if you want to spend £200 on a pair of headphones, that's your call. Look elsewhere.
- okay accessories. Comes with extra rubber ear-plug bits that double as fake beauty spots and a spring-clasped carrying case. The latter can be clipped onto your nose if you want to pretend to be a koala.

There is some cable noise, which I know aggravates some people. You can ameliorate this by sticking the cable inside your shirt, which tickles pleasantly, or you can embrace it and adjust your stride to sync with the music, adding an extra layer of percussion. If it's a big deal, spring for wireless headphones and accept that you're going to look like Lando Calrissian's factotum in 'The Empire Strikes Back'.

In short, I like them as much as, if not more than, other earphones I've tried.
77 comments| 228 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 December 2010
Yes, I wrote a review for this product, the CX300-iis, not too long ago, praising its great sound quality at a value price. I have had these earphones since July 2010 and everything seemed fine - I had looked after them perfectly, treated them well, no physical breakage whatsoever. I had stated in my earlier review how some of these reviewers may have bought fakes, or treated them badly, because mine seemed to have a long lifespan ahead of them. It's a shame that they decided to break now - I had used them in the morning one day, perfectly fine. Went back to try and use them in the evening and for all of a sudden no sound came out of the left earpiece - how annoying and odd at the same time. I have no clue how and why this happened. It just goes to show that looking after these earphones has ABSOLUTELY NO POSITIVE OR LONG TERM EFFECT TOWARDS ENHANCING THEIR LIFESPAN.

I'm not prepared to buy another pair of these earphones. I still trust Sennheiser and their products, but for them to release a product with such commonplace issues that many reviewers have stated and voiced AGAIN and AGAIN without doing anything about it, is ridiculous and unacceptable. For cheap headphones, I would strongly urge you to look to another brand. For any audio equipment above £25, I would recommend Sennheiser products due to the staggering increase in the build quality of their products.

So for anyone buying these, just be prepared to have low expectations regarding how long you expect them to last for, in order to avoid disappointment like myself and many, many others. If they last over 6 months, you should be happy! For all other consumers who feel that their money should be invested in something that will last/be worthwhile, avoid this like the plague.

By the way, most of these 5 star reviews - I bet you - are from those who have just bought and tried the earphones. Wait to see their faces and review scores when they break before 6 months of usage...

AGREE WITH THIS REVIEW SO THAT POTENTIAL BUYERS KNOW THE TRUTH, PEOPLE! WE CONSUMERS HAVE THE POWER!

EDIT 12th July 2011: It's great to see the overwhelming response I've had. I recently just tried the earphones again to see if the problem still persists, but it's actually become worse; both earpieces don't play any sound at all. It's pretty much useless now. I highly recommend that you buy off trusted sellers, even if it's more expensive (e.g. Amazon). That way, if anything happens, you can at least obtain warranty easier if something goes wrong.

At least it still blocks out a good amount of external noise when inserted - its only function for me is to act as earplugs at nighttime!
5858 comments| 371 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 April 2009
Bought these when I got my ipod nano after reading a review on the What Hi-fi website. Great quality for the size and price and a huge improvement over the standard ipod earphones. The only complaint, as with a previous review, is that due to the design of the headphones, any rubbing or vibration of the wires does result in a lot of noise. Ok for me, but maybe a problem if you intend to wear these while exercising.
11 comment| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 January 2015
I bought these earphones almost 7 years ago, in a shop on the town high-street. That in itself is quite a feat, the fact that they haven't broken, haven't deteriorated in sound quality and still look pristine is amazing.
I have used them in every which situation, took them with me to school and used them for a few hours every day, come home and exercise with them in. This includes running, lifting unpleasant heavy things, and boxing. They've been stood on, thrown about, even gone through the wash a couple of times and yet they remain defiant and undefeated.

Although I claim these to be the best earphones I've ever had, due to the longevity of these things - I haven't much of a basis for comparison. Before I got really interested in tech I was a fan of Skullcandy, mostly because they looked cool when I was 12. I had a few pairs of them. These absolutely blow them out the water in every single aspect, Sennheiser really are at the very top of my list for audio-related needs now.

They sound quality really was brilliant when I first got them, and they remain so nowadays. Obviously in-ear buds won't ever be able to compare to the likes of over-ear headphones like the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X's, but this really is top of the line for it's field, in my opinion. The lows, mids and highs are all so clear and crisp, and they're really capable of adjusting when you fancy pushing the limits on the equaliser. Not to mention the noise isolation, which really does work very nicely. Especially if like I did, you had to get a very loud and overcrowded 50-minute bus journey to school and back every day.

Congratulations Sennheiser, you da bomb.

EDIT: They finally kicked the bucket in January, and I bought another pair immediately. Still going strong now in June, and hopefully will last me until 2023. Long live Sennheiser!
review image review image
on 18 June 2009
Ok, I'm not a total Audiophile but I do appreciate a good sound and listen to all kinds of music through my 20 year old celestion speakers at home.

I can understand that these type of earphones are not suited to everybody. However they seem to be suited to most people and I love them. There not so expensive that you have to worry every time it rains but they give good enough sound for a really enjoyable listening experience. Having owned the original cx300's for 2.5 years they finally gave up and I decided to try out the newer incarnation.

Can't tell if they are that much better than the orginal cx300's, but they certainly seem to give a good rounded sound with all the high's and lows that I'd expect. To test my old used, abused and busted cx300's side by side wouldn't be fair.

Some people like the asymmetric cable design (1 side is longer than other and goes round back of head), others don't. I actually ordered a pair of CX400II's but cancelled the order as soon as I realised that they were symmetric as I just find this design to save me so much hastle.

One point I should make is that these headphones do sound better after a few hours of use so don't pull them out of the box, decide that they sound naff and come on here and post a review.

Also, these headphones do block a fair amount of noise as long as you get a good fit in your ear (which is paramount on this design). I sometimes use them on my motorbike, which I'm sure some people will abuse me for but personally I love cruising along on a nice summer day weaving to my favourite chillout tunes.
33 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2014
First, I will admit to not being in any way, shape of form an audiophile. I am partial to quality headphones though.

First, the sound. It's decent, and extremely well balanced. I find all the Sennheisers I own to produce exactly the same type of sound that I would best describe as crisp yet flat. There is almost no natural bass, which I personally think is a good thing. I'd rather hear the nuances of each song rather than have such details drowned out by bass. These headphones are no different, they produce clean and crisp sound.

Second, the build quality. I get through a paid of headphones every 3 months or so and it's always the same thing, the sound just stops in one of the ear-phones. I know I should take more care of them, I know I probably shouldnt wrap them up into a ball when I'm not using them, I know I shouldn't pull them so hard out my ears....So I was a little disappointed to see these sennheisers have an unexpectedly thin cable which I feel is not going to stand the test of time. Bear in mind they are about 1 month old and still working perfectly, I just feel they are even more fragile than a paid of OEM apple headphones. I really hope I am wrong and they continue to perform for another 2 years, but I am noticibly more gentle with them for this precise reason.

All in all decent headphones for the money I paid. If they do stop working I would probably just buy another paid for the price they are on amazon.
on 9 October 2010
I was very happy with these phones for the first couple of weeks, but after only 2 months of using it the left ear phone just stopped working!!!
I tried to contact the seller (Sound bites) and the answer was inexistent!!! I am terribly disappointed with this product and even more with the seller!!! better luck if you go for it...The 2 year warranty is a myth!!!
44 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 January 2010
I have the previous version of these headphones (the CX300 I) and the major differences are i) the mark II have a longer cable and ii) the mark II have a 'rubberised' housing around the jack plug.

The problem with the longer cable is that it's too long. I'm 6'4" and so have a longer than average body (I guess) and there's still a lot of excess cable when my iPod is in my pocket and I have the 'phones in. This can get snagged on things which in turn pulls the ear pieces out or worse still the jack plug, which brings me onto ii).

The 'rubberised' jack plug housing is soft, flexible and quite large. This means it moves around while the player it's attached to is in a pocket or a carrier. I have found that the jack plug has now pulled away from the housing to expose bare wires underneath. I don't envisage these wires being connected to the jack plug much longer as it's not a very strong connection.

I've only had these phones two weeks and this has happened already. I use the 'phones attached to my iPod nano in a holder when I'm cycling and in my pocket when I'm out and about. I'm going to be contacting Amazon and Sennheiser about this as it's really poor build quality and these are not cheapo headphones.

I should add I was very happy with the mark I version and got long service from them which lead me to buy the mark II's. Another example of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. Unfortunately it is broke...