1,397
Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Earphones - Black
Colour Name: BlackChange
Price:£22.75+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 13 December 2010
Got these a replacement to the CX300 mk1s which I have been using every day as I walk to an from work.

First thing to note is the build quality. A bigger, gold plated jack looks and feels alot sturdier. Its bigger size has however not been a hinderance. The junction reinforcement, where each cable splits off has also been beefed up making these feel much more resilient. Not much has visually changed with the driver unit, it has now got a sloped back but overall looks to be the same size etc.

The biggest difference comes in the sound department (where it matters!). The bass response is much better and is pretty astounding for in-ear headphones at this price. I quite like walking along to the odd dance track and tunes like Mylo - Destroy Rock 'n' Roll (Tom Neville Clean remix) sound excellent. The bass has plenty of weight and presence and the high end is tight & crisp.

I'm not going to comment on how well these head phones fit as that is a completely personal interaction, they either will or they wont. There are three different sized rubber ear pieces included, so hopefully one pair will work. There is also a soft sprung clasp pouch included, for stowing the headphones when no in use. This is a welcome extra but I've reverted back to my usual hard shelled tin as it offers a bit more protection whilst bouncing round my bag.

To summarise, if you already own CX300s, the mark twos are a worthwhile upgrade. If you are in the market for in-ear headphones, these should not be overlooked. Top Quality Sound and Build for next to nothing.

**** ONE YEAR EDIT ****

Well after a year of daily use (hour walk to and from work) a connection in the left ear has gone. Resulting in only faintly audible levels coming from the left hand side. There's a two year warranty so it should be covered.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 May 2014
Alas, I am no longer at the mercy of rubbish, overpriced Apple earphones.

I was once happy to call myself a proud owner of Sennheiser earphones. I used them everyday, starting from the moment I'd leave the house, and couldn't be more pleased with the quality of sound delivered. On one fateful day, over 2 years after they were purchased, they were snagged by a hook on the train, which rendered them useless and left me feeling utterly desolated.

Having bought an iPhone 5, the newest, coolest phone on the block at the time, I was sure their redesigned earphones would do the trick. Ah, if only that were the case. They work alright when I'm at home in utter silence, but if I dare attempt to use them in a noisy environment, I hear nothing but faint voices and murmurs in the background. Maybe it's my brain telling me it's time to get some Sennheisers.

I am pleased to have succumbed to this temptation. I bought these only 2 days ago but I have not enjoyed my music this much in a long time. The sound is crisp, the bass is thick and distinguished, the voices sound natural and clear. You know that loud, annoying group of friends chatting hysterically when you just want to listen to your damn music? You can forget about them. And the wailing baby. And the vigorous roar of the bus engine. The Sennheisers will clog your ear up, and you won't hear squat from the world around you unless it damn pleases you.

All in all, 5 stars. Does exactly what I want it to and no more.
on 22 October 2010
okay, usually i never leave reviews (i know) but this time i wanted to.

i got an ipod nano on offer with a new mac, and wanted to get a pair of headphones for it (the apple ones don't stay in my ears, and they're not the best). after looking around for a while, i settled on the sennheiser 448s. these are large, fantastic headphones, don't get me wrong, and are great plugged ionto my hi-fi, but not for an ipod (especially with the e.u. noise-cap). they just did not go loud enough, and i'm not someone who listens loud. really, the ipod was not powering them.

so, i bought a fiio e5 headphone amp...not much difference, in fact hardly any. so don't go there...

then i decided to try another pair of sennheisers, recommended to me by a friend. cx300(II)s, in-ear. and what a difference! they go louder than i need (maybe the 448 drivers were too big, needed too much power), have a great sound right out of the box, cost half of the 448s, and are small enough to carry around with no problems.

i highly recommend these headphones. i looked at beyerdynamic, klipsch, but at the end of the day, for £25 what more do you want? small, great sound, and powered more than well enough by the ipod nano. the bass is nice and present, without any distortion, the treble end is clear without whining or grating and the middle is nice and full. Really, before getting these i had almost given up on the ipod, and they have been one of the few products that i have been genuinely surprised by. i'd definitely buy them again.
on 9 January 2010
In the lead up to the purchase of these headphone, my sony x series walkman (NWZ 1060) died on me after 4 months of use. So i ordered a 32gb ipod touch BUT the headphones given are the worst ever made. The sound was awful SO

I thought i should buy some better ones.

These are the only headphones you will ever need!!!! Well at least in terms of sound and the quality of it. These headphones easily fit my extremely tricky ears (tricky in the sense that those headphones that come with the ipod touch just fall out of my head everytime and any way i put them in!). Okay they didn't fit out of the box, i had to change the buds with the small ones supplied but that expecting a bit too much. The sound is just awesome!!! i couldn't hear the alarm when i set it off in my house!!!!! NOW THATS WHAT I CALL NOISE CANCELLING!! the wire is perfect in terms of length for me.

BUT as written in previous reviews, people did say that durability was a factor in these headphones eg sound would cut out in left headphone if your tugged just a little bit on the wire. That was the same case for me...accidently yanked it and the sound cut out/stuttered. A lot of people said that these headphones die after a few months of usage, i have only these for a few days so i will update
this review.

UPDATE: :( these headphones just died on Monday. The right earphone started to cut out randomly and now wont play any sound unless i fiddle around with the wire. Gonna see if i can get another pair or at least something more durable.
on 13 July 2010
I had high hopes when I purchased the Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Ear-canal Phones, following some generally good reviews. It was well presented in its packaging and as expected came with different sized heads for the earphones. Sadly, in my own experience the product did not meet my expectations. I didn't find the earphones particularly comfortable and the sound quality did not seem any better than the standard earphones I had hoped they would replace. I didn't notice any significant increase in sound quality- though in fairness, I am using a Sansa Fuze with customised firmware from 'Rockbox'- and as for the 'noise isolation,' this certainly wasn't what I expected. It simply didn't block out external noises and the icing on the cake was the sound being distorted each time I made contact with the jack end of the headphones.

Some reviews mentioned this, but that this was a problem within minutes of using the product, I decided it wasn't for me.

In short, I suppose they are OK if you don't mind being stationary whilst using them, but if you do a lot of walking like me, you want earphones that play your music well.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Do you want to listen to music without other people hearing it? Do you like black things with little shiny silver bits on them? Then these might just be for you!

Features include:
- decent sound quality, as far as I can tell. But I'm just some pleb listening to 256kbps MP3s, not George Martin with a DAT machine.
- pretty good bottom end, if you like that sort of thing. If you don't like that sort of thing, change the EQ setting and I'm sure you'll be fine; otherwise it's a bit like sticking your pinky finger too far into your earhole.
- reasonably durable. I've had them a couple of weeks and they haven't broken yet.
- fairly comfortable, insofar as sticking foreign objects into your ear ever can be.
- sensibly priced. But if you want to spend £200 on a pair of headphones, that's your call. Look elsewhere.
- okay accessories. Comes with extra rubber ear-plug bits that double as fake beauty spots and a spring-clasped carrying case. The latter can be clipped onto your nose if you want to pretend to be a koala.

There is some cable noise, which I know aggravates some people. You can ameliorate this by sticking the cable inside your shirt, which tickles pleasantly, or you can embrace it and adjust your stride to sync with the music, adding an extra layer of percussion. If it's a big deal, spring for wireless headphones and accept that you're going to look like Lando Calrissian's factotum in 'The Empire Strikes Back'.

In short, I like them as much as, if not more than, other earphones I've tried.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 31 January 2012
I had the CX 500s which were fantastic but suffered an unfortunate snag and I damaged the cable meaning I had to shop for new headphones. As the 500s don't seem to be on sale anymore I went for the 300 IIs after hearing they're great.

I've used them for most of the day today and am sadly less than impressed.

The sound quality is poor - this is my main qualm with the headphones. There's a noticeable hissing noise whilst listening. In addition to the hissing noise, drum sounds are tinny and noticeably wrong sounding.

The packaging is non customer friendly - a blister pack means that to open them the packaging basically ends up destroyed, probably reducing my chance, if not completely ruining my chance to return the item.

For the £10 more than the 500s, they come with fewer earpiece sizes, and no fold away case (Granted I knew this before purchasing but it's just something else worth mentioning.

There is also no cable volume control.

On a positive note, the noise cancelling qualities are very good, they can be very loud if that's your thing.

The headphone cable lengths after the Y split aren't the same length for anyone who might want to know before purchasing.
on 11 February 2010
When I got them, I was quite pleased with these earphones. I used them in the gym and on the train. However, after about two weeks, one earpiece stopped working. They are just too fragile for day to day use.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 29 January 2015
I bought these earphones almost 7 years ago, in a shop on the town high-street. That in itself is quite a feat, the fact that they haven't broken, haven't deteriorated in sound quality and still look pristine is amazing.
I have used them in every which situation, took them with me to school and used them for a few hours every day, come home and exercise with them in. This includes running, lifting unpleasant heavy things, and boxing. They've been stood on, thrown about, even gone through the wash a couple of times and yet they remain defiant and undefeated.

Although I claim these to be the best earphones I've ever had, due to the longevity of these things - I haven't much of a basis for comparison. Before I got really interested in tech I was a fan of Skullcandy, mostly because they looked cool when I was 12. I had a few pairs of them. These absolutely blow them out the water in every single aspect, Sennheiser really are at the very top of my list for audio-related needs now.

They sound quality really was brilliant when I first got them, and they remain so nowadays. Obviously in-ear buds won't ever be able to compare to the likes of over-ear headphones like the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X's, but this really is top of the line for it's field, in my opinion. The lows, mids and highs are all so clear and crisp, and they're really capable of adjusting when you fancy pushing the limits on the equaliser. Not to mention the noise isolation, which really does work very nicely. Especially if like I did, you had to get a very loud and overcrowded 50-minute bus journey to school and back every day.

Congratulations Sennheiser, you da bomb.
review image review image
on 9 October 2010
I was very happy with these phones for the first couple of weeks, but after only 2 months of using it the left ear phone just stopped working!!!
I tried to contact the seller (Sound bites) and the answer was inexistent!!! I am terribly disappointed with this product and even more with the seller!!! better luck if you go for it...The 2 year warranty is a myth!!!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...