4.0 out of 5 stars1,617
Colour Name: BlackChange

on 13 December 2010
Got these a replacement to the CX300 mk1s which I have been using every day as I walk to an from work.

First thing to note is the build quality. A bigger, gold plated jack looks and feels alot sturdier. Its bigger size has however not been a hinderance. The junction reinforcement, where each cable splits off has also been beefed up making these feel much more resilient. Not much has visually changed with the driver unit, it has now got a sloped back but overall looks to be the same size etc.

The biggest difference comes in the sound department (where it matters!). The bass response is much better and is pretty astounding for in-ear headphones at this price. I quite like walking along to the odd dance track and tunes like Mylo - Destroy Rock 'n' Roll (Tom Neville Clean remix) sound excellent. The bass has plenty of weight and presence and the high end is tight & crisp.

I'm not going to comment on how well these head phones fit as that is a completely personal interaction, they either will or they wont. There are three different sized rubber ear pieces included, so hopefully one pair will work. There is also a soft sprung clasp pouch included, for stowing the headphones when no in use. This is a welcome extra but I've reverted back to my usual hard shelled tin as it offers a bit more protection whilst bouncing round my bag.

To summarise, if you already own CX300s, the mark twos are a worthwhile upgrade. If you are in the market for in-ear headphones, these should not be overlooked. Top Quality Sound and Build for next to nothing.

**** ONE YEAR EDIT ****

Well after a year of daily use (hour walk to and from work) a connection in the left ear has gone. Resulting in only faintly audible levels coming from the left hand side. There's a two year warranty so it should be covered.
99 comments230 of 238 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 May 2014
Alas, I am no longer at the mercy of rubbish, overpriced Apple earphones.

I was once happy to call myself a proud owner of Sennheiser earphones. I used them everyday, starting from the moment I'd leave the house, and couldn't be more pleased with the quality of sound delivered. On one fateful day, over 2 years after they were purchased, they were snagged by a hook on the train, which rendered them useless and left me feeling utterly desolated.

Having bought an iPhone 5, the newest, coolest phone on the block at the time, I was sure their redesigned earphones would do the trick. Ah, if only that were the case. They work alright when I'm at home in utter silence, but if I dare attempt to use them in a noisy environment, I hear nothing but faint voices and murmurs in the background. Maybe it's my brain telling me it's time to get some Sennheisers.

I am pleased to have succumbed to this temptation. I bought these only 2 days ago but I have not enjoyed my music this much in a long time. The sound is crisp, the bass is thick and distinguished, the voices sound natural and clear. You know that loud, annoying group of friends chatting hysterically when you just want to listen to your damn music? You can forget about them. And the wailing baby. And the vigorous roar of the bus engine. The Sennheisers will clog your ear up, and you won't hear squat from the world around you unless it damn pleases you.

All in all, 5 stars. Does exactly what I want it to and no more.
0Comment106 of 111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 January 2015
I bought these earphones almost 7 years ago, in a shop on the town high-street. That in itself is quite a feat, the fact that they haven't broken, haven't deteriorated in sound quality and still look pristine is amazing.
I have used them in every which situation, took them with me to school and used them for a few hours every day, come home and exercise with them in. This includes running, lifting unpleasant heavy things, and boxing. They've been stood on, thrown about, even gone through the wash a couple of times and yet they remain defiant and undefeated.

Although I claim these to be the best earphones I've ever had, due to the longevity of these things - I haven't much of a basis for comparison. Before I got really interested in tech I was a fan of Skullcandy, mostly because they looked cool when I was 12. I had a few pairs of them. These absolutely blow them out the water in every single aspect, Sennheiser really are at the very top of my list for audio-related needs now.

They sound quality really was brilliant when I first got them, and they remain so nowadays. Obviously in-ear buds won't ever be able to compare to the likes of over-ear headphones like the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X's, but this really is top of the line for it's field, in my opinion. The lows, mids and highs are all so clear and crisp, and they're really capable of adjusting when you fancy pushing the limits on the equaliser. Not to mention the noise isolation, which really does work very nicely. Especially if like I did, you had to get a very loud and overcrowded 50-minute bus journey to school and back every day.

Congratulations Sennheiser, you da bomb.
review image review image
0Comment23 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 October 2010
okay, usually i never leave reviews (i know) but this time i wanted to.

i got an ipod nano on offer with a new mac, and wanted to get a pair of headphones for it (the apple ones don't stay in my ears, and they're not the best). after looking around for a while, i settled on the sennheiser 448s. these are large, fantastic headphones, don't get me wrong, and are great plugged ionto my hi-fi, but not for an ipod (especially with the e.u. noise-cap). they just did not go loud enough, and i'm not someone who listens loud. really, the ipod was not powering them.

so, i bought a fiio e5 headphone amp...not much difference, in fact hardly any. so don't go there...

then i decided to try another pair of sennheisers, recommended to me by a friend. cx300(II)s, in-ear. and what a difference! they go louder than i need (maybe the 448 drivers were too big, needed too much power), have a great sound right out of the box, cost half of the 448s, and are small enough to carry around with no problems.

i highly recommend these headphones. i looked at beyerdynamic, klipsch, but at the end of the day, for £25 what more do you want? small, great sound, and powered more than well enough by the ipod nano. the bass is nice and present, without any distortion, the treble end is clear without whining or grating and the middle is nice and full. Really, before getting these i had almost given up on the ipod, and they have been one of the few products that i have been genuinely surprised by. i'd definitely buy them again.
on 19 February 2013
(27/09/2013) Update: I bought these in February 2013 and the earphones are still going strong. Just to give you an idea of what kind of stresses I put these things under :I wind them around my mp3 player and wind them back again at least 3 times a day during the week (I travel by bus and make several journeys a day) and once or twice a day at the weekend. I'm not very careful with these earphones and after use just put them, along with my mp3 player, in a pocket in my rucksack filled with all sorts of rubbish. It seems to me that these earphones are a lot more rugged and durable than some people have experienced. My original review is below:

Hello there. On first sight I was impressed by the cabling, the places where the cables tend to go weak, such as near the earpieces or near the jack, look a lot stronger than the previous earphones I've used (mainly Philips, the last being the SHE8500/10, which I bought for £25 at HMV R.I.P.) and those earphones lasted anywhere between a year and a 2 years with my every-day usage. I've only had these earphones for about 2 months now (Feb 2013) so can't comment on whether the more rugged appearance is a true indication of their ruggedness.

When I first started using these 'phones the sound was awful. The bass was overpowering and muddied the mid-range and the high-end sounded scratchy, however after a bit of fiddle with my equaliser settings and a few more days of action they started to sound great. I guess that some earphones, just as some of the other reviews suggest, do need a 'breaking-in period'.
on 31 January 2012
I had the CX 500s which were fantastic but suffered an unfortunate snag and I damaged the cable meaning I had to shop for new headphones. As the 500s don't seem to be on sale anymore I went for the 300 IIs after hearing they're great.

I've used them for most of the day today and am sadly less than impressed.

The sound quality is poor - this is my main qualm with the headphones. There's a noticeable hissing noise whilst listening. In addition to the hissing noise, drum sounds are tinny and noticeably wrong sounding.

The packaging is non customer friendly - a blister pack means that to open them the packaging basically ends up destroyed, probably reducing my chance, if not completely ruining my chance to return the item.

For the £10 more than the 500s, they come with fewer earpiece sizes, and no fold away case (Granted I knew this before purchasing but it's just something else worth mentioning.

There is also no cable volume control.

On a positive note, the noise cancelling qualities are very good, they can be very loud if that's your thing.

The headphone cable lengths after the Y split aren't the same length for anyone who might want to know before purchasing.
on 11 February 2010
When I got them, I was quite pleased with these earphones. I used them in the gym and on the train. However, after about two weeks, one earpiece stopped working. They are just too fragile for day to day use.
33 comments28 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 September 2009
Do you want to listen to music without other people hearing it? Do you like black things with little shiny silver bits on them? Then these might just be for you!

Features include:
- decent sound quality, as far as I can tell. But I'm just some pleb listening to 256kbps MP3s, not George Martin with a DAT machine.
- pretty good bottom end, if you like that sort of thing. If you don't like that sort of thing, change the EQ setting and I'm sure you'll be fine; otherwise it's a bit like sticking your pinky finger too far into your earhole.
- reasonably durable. I've had them a couple of weeks and they haven't broken yet.
- fairly comfortable, insofar as sticking foreign objects into your ear ever can be.
- sensibly priced. But if you want to spend £200 on a pair of headphones, that's your call. Look elsewhere.
- okay accessories. Comes with extra rubber ear-plug bits that double as fake beauty spots and a spring-clasped carrying case. The latter can be clipped onto your nose if you want to pretend to be a koala.

There is some cable noise, which I know aggravates some people. You can ameliorate this by sticking the cable inside your shirt, which tickles pleasantly, or you can embrace it and adjust your stride to sync with the music, adding an extra layer of percussion. If it's a big deal, spring for wireless headphones and accept that you're going to look like Lando Calrissian's factotum in 'The Empire Strikes Back'.

In short, I like them as much as, if not more than, other earphones I've tried.
77 comments210 of 237 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 January 2015
Awful. Supposedly 'enhanced bass' on these, but nothing but trashy, brittle hi mods and trebles. Says the frequency response is as low as 19Hz, but I couldn't make out anything below about 200!

And - as has been mentioned already in some reviews, the packaging is made in such a way that you have to destroy it to get the item out, thus making it non-returnable.

The stock earphones that came with my iPhone 5c are infinitely better.
22 comments3 of 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 June 2012
TL/DR summary: If you wear a beany hat/ear muffs a lot, then they'll probably be fine for you, but if you have some extra cash to spend, there are probably better products out there ( RHA MA-350 Aluminium Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones - 3 year warranty for instance, which I had before these, and were awesome, if it weren't for the connection breaking)

---

I wanted to like these ear phones, but yet again, I've ended up with another £30 sub-standard listening devices. The sound quality is fine, but there are several things about these I don't like:

The wires are asymmetrical - where they split to go to left and right ear, the wire to the left is about 4 inches, whereas the wire on the right is over double. This means that the left ear bud falls out a lot when walking. The force of the weight of the wire isn't towards your centre, but straight down, so the left ear bud always works its way out of my ear. Once that one falls out, the wire tightens and the right ear bud gets tugged out pretty quickly afterwards.

Second, the wire is made out of some very uncomfortably sweaty black plastic, which knots itself in my pocket.

Third, the connection jack is at right angles, which is great if your phone has the headphone socket on the side of the phone, but mine is on top where any sensible phone would have it, so when the phone is in my pocket, the wire has to do an S shaped bend. That'll probably shorten the lifespan of this product for me, as the jack connection is usually the first thing to go. I predict about 8 months of use will kill the wire connection.

Lastly, when I'm trying to secure the earbuds in my ear by pushing them gently, I often get some very loud popping/scratching noises in my ear.

But on the plus side, the actual sound quality isn't bad, and they do a good job of isolating noise, for as long as they sit in your ears correctly.