4.6 out of 5 stars1,051
Colour: Midnight BlueChange

on 9 November 2009
This is the first time I've ever written a review about something I have bought, but this Stainless King is worth the effort to do so.

I was looking for a small, compact but effective food flask for the forthcoming winter months in order to allow me to warm up during work and break the monotony of the sandwiches and salads. After looking at the reviews on here I decided that despite the slightly higher price tag than I had originally thought of paying, the 'you get what you pay for' mantra would be very relevant when I was sitting there with cold soup.. NOT what I was hoping to achieve!

So I made a decision and parted with my money... and boy am I pleased I did!!

First outing today and after warming the flask as recommended with boiling water for 10 minutes, my bubbling hot tin of Spaghetti Bolognese (from a well known pickle manufacturer) went in and the lid was firmly screwed in to place at 7.15am and the anticipation started.

1pm arrives and I sat down with my work colleagues and plonked the flask down on the dinner table and with confidence unscrewed the lid, to be met with steam..that's right ..'steam'. I tucked in, straight from the flask and unbelievably it was actually red hot, and in some parts was 'almost' too hot to eat. Needless to say, some flask envy ensued.

The other great thing about the flask is the size of the opening. It's easy to fill, eat straight from and to clean... it's all good.

So if you are looking for a compact, easy to use and most of all 'effective' food flask... this is the one you want.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 January 2015
I have never left a review before but I feel like I now have to! We don't have a microwave at work so I started to get fed up of eating salads in the winter and wanted soup instead. This flask is definitely worth the money & I would highly recommend! I read up on reviews before I bought it as it is more expensive than others flasks, and after following other reviewers recommendations I have just finished my soup and it was still hot! I put boiling water in the flask to warm up for just over 10 mins before work and warmed my soup up more than I would if I was going to eat it straight away (7am) almost 6 hours later the soup was still hot and I actually had to keep stirring to cool it down! A definite must buy.
on 6 August 2013
Good bit of gear I haven't really tried it over a long time but over 2-3 hours it keeps my soup or haggis warm and warm haggis by the river on a cold morning is one of my joys in life.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 October 2010
I recently bought 2 of these flasks, its that time of year when my husband and I start taking soup to work for lunch as opposed to a salad. We bought flasks last year that just didn't keep the soup hot enough so we searched carefully for the right flask this year.
We heat our soup so it is very hot and it goes in the pre-heated (with hot water) flasks at around 6.30am. I do not eat my soup until around 1.30-2pm and I am happy to say that it is still hot at that time, often hot enough that I need to blow on it before I eat it. The foldaway spoon is fantastic and the fact that it is wide enough that you can eat your soup straight from the flask is an added bonus. I highly recommend this flask.
on 5 January 2014
This food flask is simply amazing and saves me so much money!

I bought this food flask before starting university as a way for me to save money. Being on a student budget, I find it difficult to find a nice, filling yet healthy lunch which I can buy on campus - and if there are healthy options available they are very over priced. This food flask is the perfect solution for me! I now take home-cooked, healthy food to university every day!

I had read the previous reviews and it seemed to be a good product, so I bought it with fairly high hopes. After the first day of using it I was surprised as to how well the flask kept my food hot. I now take this food flask with me to university every day and have used it for nearly every type of food: curry and rice, pasta bake, lasagne, stir fry, soup, etc. Even quite dry dishes such as lasagne are kept warm (you should add a little boiling water to dry foods to keep them moist and to stop them from drying out in the flask - and this keeps the food warmer for longer)

Before I go to university I fill my flask with boiling water and 10 mins later I empty out the water and fill the flask with my microwave warmed food. I find this is enough time for the inside of the flask to be heated by the boiling water so that your food stays warmer for longer.

On some days, when I have been in a rush, I have filled my flask with microwave warmed food without having pre-heated it with boiling water and when I have come to eat my food at lunch time the food was warm but not hot, so I recommend that you take the extra time to pre-heat it in the morning. (I fill my flask with boiling water before having my breakfast and then empty it after I have finished eating)

I fill my food flask in the morning at around 8am and when I come to eat my lunch between 12-1pm my food is almost always hot (sometimes too hot and I have to leave the lid off for a few minutes for it to cool down!) I even sometimes forget to eat my lunch if I am very busy and eat my food on the way home (4/5pm) and I am sometimes pleasantly surprised to find my food is still quite warm.

My food flask has never leaked and the seal on the lid is very good (I do not close my food flask too tightly as it is sometimes very hard to open after being left for a few hours). The size of the flask is also quite good - I can fit a large bowl of food into the flask.

I have not yet used the flask to store cold foods or liquids but I am sure it would be just as good or even better and would be a great idea to use as a way to cool down on hot summer days (if I am so lucky, here in the north!)

When I come home from university I put my food flask to soak in hot water for 30 mins and then it is very easy to clean. It is not a good idea to leave left over food in the flask for a long time as it becomes smelly and less easy to clean.

The flask comes with a metal spoon which fits in the lid and it is quite noisy against the inside of the flask when you are trying to get the last bits of food out of the bottom. I am sometimes forced to leave a little food in the bottom of the flask if I am eating in a quiet area, however, most of the time the noise is not too much of a problem and I still choose to use the spoon provided. If you eat lunch in a quiet area and do not want to make too much noise when finishing your food, I would suggest buying a small plastic spoon to eat with.

I love this food flask so much that I am buying another, so that I can take two hot meals to university for those long, tiring days!

I give it 5 stars!
on 8 December 2008
I bought this food flask a couple of weeks ago and have used it every day since. It is just the right size for tins of big soup, tins of spaghetti, stews etc. It keeps everything piping hot for hours. There is a telescopic spoon in the lid which is perfect. It even stayed intact when it fell out of my bag and down the whole length of a coach and down the stairs to the door!!! I am even going to buy another flask for my husband as it is perfect for these cold winter days.

Definately a 5 out of 5! Sandra
on 10 January 2014
I'm a university student and I use this when I need to cram in the library. It's more lightweight than I thought, but sturdy. Kept food steaming hot for 8 hours. The spoon folds and fits on a space on the inner lid. The inner lid can be quite difficult to get off if you seal it completely - probably my only niggle. Before use, I pre-heat it by letting it hold just-boiled water for about 10 minutes, as directed. Cleaning is pretty easy, haven't tried it in a dishwasher though. So far I've eaten various rice dishes, bacon, tofu, stir fries etc from it straight from the pan, I reckon its suitable for just about all hot food. Very happy.
on 14 July 2013
Brought this product and my initial thought was tht it was way too small, but looks can be decieving. Great product made out of good quality material. In mornings warm fask for 5 to 10 mins with boiling water, heat food place in flask and 6-8 hours later food is still hot. My partner uses fask mst mornings for soup or beans and is happy with results. T even comes equipped wth a travel spoon which attatches to lid which is pretty handy, as he constantly lost cutlery at work in past. The product was a bit pricey, but well worth the money spent. Holds a full 400ml tin of soup with room for more. So glad i purchased the item.
on 15 February 2015
I bought one of these flasks having given up on a few others as this is a vacuum flask. Having followed the instructions I thought I would give it a test before I used it on a cold wet day, so I filled it with boiling water and warmed it up, then a few minutes later I filled it up with boiling water and sealed it up. The intention was to leave it for four and half hours and see how hot the water was, as that's how long in need it to remain hot. However I forgot about it and left it for five and a half hours.
When I took the lid off, I was greeted by a good waft of steam, and put in a thermometer to check how hot the water was, and low and behold it was still 75C, certainly hot enough for my soup, and at 470ml, its nigh on perfect for tinned soup too.
Being steel, it will take a good bit of abuse, and the fold up spoon in the lid is a bonus too.
on 2 February 2015
The base lets no heat out, it has a good thermal insulating vacuum. Unfortunately the lid is rubbish and does let all the heat out. I filled the flask with piping hot contents in the morning and they were pretty much cold just 5 hours later even though the lid was on so securely it was difficult to undo. Very disappointing and not what the manufacturer promises. A very expensive failure.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse