4.6 out of 5 stars1,209
Colour: Midnight BlueChange

on 9 November 2009
This is the first time I've ever written a review about something I have bought, but this Stainless King is worth the effort to do so.

I was looking for a small, compact but effective food flask for the forthcoming winter months in order to allow me to warm up during work and break the monotony of the sandwiches and salads. After looking at the reviews on here I decided that despite the slightly higher price tag than I had originally thought of paying, the 'you get what you pay for' mantra would be very relevant when I was sitting there with cold soup.. NOT what I was hoping to achieve!

So I made a decision and parted with my money... and boy am I pleased I did!!

First outing today and after warming the flask as recommended with boiling water for 10 minutes, my bubbling hot tin of Spaghetti Bolognese (from a well known pickle manufacturer) went in and the lid was firmly screwed in to place at 7.15am and the anticipation started.

1pm arrives and I sat down with my work colleagues and plonked the flask down on the dinner table and with confidence unscrewed the lid, to be met with steam..that's right ..'steam'. I tucked in, straight from the flask and unbelievably it was actually red hot, and in some parts was 'almost' too hot to eat. Needless to say, some flask envy ensued.

The other great thing about the flask is the size of the opening. It's easy to fill, eat straight from and to clean... it's all good.

So if you are looking for a compact, easy to use and most of all 'effective' food flask... this is the one you want.
99 comments550 of 561 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 January 2015
I have never left a review before but I feel like I now have to! We don't have a microwave at work so I started to get fed up of eating salads in the winter and wanted soup instead. This flask is definitely worth the money & I would highly recommend! I read up on reviews before I bought it as it is more expensive than others flasks, and after following other reviewers recommendations I have just finished my soup and it was still hot! I put boiling water in the flask to warm up for just over 10 mins before work and warmed my soup up more than I would if I was going to eat it straight away (7am) almost 6 hours later the soup was still hot and I actually had to keep stirring to cool it down! A definite must buy.
0Comment39 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 August 2013
Good bit of gear I haven't really tried it over a long time but over 2-3 hours it keeps my soup or haggis warm and warm haggis by the river on a cold morning is one of my joys in life.
22 comments61 of 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 January 2014
This food flask is simply amazing and saves me so much money!

I bought this food flask before starting university as a way for me to save money. Being on a student budget, I find it difficult to find a nice, filling yet healthy lunch which I can buy on campus - and if there are healthy options available they are very over priced. This food flask is the perfect solution for me! I now take home-cooked, healthy food to university every day!

I had read the previous reviews and it seemed to be a good product, so I bought it with fairly high hopes. After the first day of using it I was surprised as to how well the flask kept my food hot. I now take this food flask with me to university every day and have used it for nearly every type of food: curry and rice, pasta bake, lasagne, stir fry, soup, etc. Even quite dry dishes such as lasagne are kept warm (you should add a little boiling water to dry foods to keep them moist and to stop them from drying out in the flask - and this keeps the food warmer for longer)

Before I go to university I fill my flask with boiling water and 10 mins later I empty out the water and fill the flask with my microwave warmed food. I find this is enough time for the inside of the flask to be heated by the boiling water so that your food stays warmer for longer.

On some days, when I have been in a rush, I have filled my flask with microwave warmed food without having pre-heated it with boiling water and when I have come to eat my food at lunch time the food was warm but not hot, so I recommend that you take the extra time to pre-heat it in the morning. (I fill my flask with boiling water before having my breakfast and then empty it after I have finished eating)

I fill my food flask in the morning at around 8am and when I come to eat my lunch between 12-1pm my food is almost always hot (sometimes too hot and I have to leave the lid off for a few minutes for it to cool down!) I even sometimes forget to eat my lunch if I am very busy and eat my food on the way home (4/5pm) and I am sometimes pleasantly surprised to find my food is still quite warm.

My food flask has never leaked and the seal on the lid is very good (I do not close my food flask too tightly as it is sometimes very hard to open after being left for a few hours). The size of the flask is also quite good - I can fit a large bowl of food into the flask.

I have not yet used the flask to store cold foods or liquids but I am sure it would be just as good or even better and would be a great idea to use as a way to cool down on hot summer days (if I am so lucky, here in the north!)

When I come home from university I put my food flask to soak in hot water for 30 mins and then it is very easy to clean. It is not a good idea to leave left over food in the flask for a long time as it becomes smelly and less easy to clean.

The flask comes with a metal spoon which fits in the lid and it is quite noisy against the inside of the flask when you are trying to get the last bits of food out of the bottom. I am sometimes forced to leave a little food in the bottom of the flask if I am eating in a quiet area, however, most of the time the noise is not too much of a problem and I still choose to use the spoon provided. If you eat lunch in a quiet area and do not want to make too much noise when finishing your food, I would suggest buying a small plastic spoon to eat with.

I love this food flask so much that I am buying another, so that I can take two hot meals to university for those long, tiring days!

I give it 5 stars!
0Comment97 of 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 January 2016
This flask has revolutionised packed lunches in our household. We put hot food and soup into it around 7.30am and it is still piping hot at lunchtime. This means my daughter can have a hot meal at lunch time and not just salad, especially as she is gluten free, so it opens up more options for packed lunches. There is a small folding spoon in the lid and a small cup on the top. This capacity is great for one person. The lid just screws on and doesn't have the open/close mechanism that some other flasks have - for me that is a bonus as it is the open/close mechanisms that have failed previously, so this is much simpler and better for it.
on 8 December 2008
I bought this food flask a couple of weeks ago and have used it every day since. It is just the right size for tins of big soup, tins of spaghetti, stews etc. It keeps everything piping hot for hours. There is a telescopic spoon in the lid which is perfect. It even stayed intact when it fell out of my bag and down the whole length of a coach and down the stairs to the door!!! I am even going to buy another flask for my husband as it is perfect for these cold winter days.

Definately a 5 out of 5! Sandra
0Comment128 of 147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 November 2013
This was fabulous to begin with however it didn't last and the food/soup just didn't stay hot and bordered on lukewarm
on 24 June 2015
In a word - Fantastic. (Thermos Food Flash 470ml Blue) bought direct from Amazon on Prime 1 day delivery.

What can I say, I mean, just read the other reviews for more detail, I dont write reviews often but I just HAD to chime in and confirm this was indeed a good... GREAT buy.
I'll try to be brief. I've used it for 3 days so far. The flask keeps the food hot, simple. And the metal spoon is great. It folds away neatle and is STRONG too. None of this plastic spoon rubbish. And it looks good on the desk too (The blue one is the one I have).

Just to give a better idea than, its great, its hot. Heres some timings.

Day 1
8am - Add hot water as per instruction to pre-heat. Removed after 10 minutes and took to hotel breakfast restaurant.
8.30am - Hotel Microwaved my diet food soup and put into flask. Off to work.
Approx 1pm - Opened the flask. The food was hot!!! Great!

Day 2
Ddint use it in the day, but thought I would be inventive. Im in a hotel, limited and bought some of those typical hot-dogs-in-a-tin (mine were in plastic wrapping but same thing). I WAS going to have them cold. BUT, then I saw the Thermos flask on the desk. *Lightbulb moment*
Broke the hotdogs in half, threw them into the flask, boiled some water, and put the lid on. Watched some TV, about 10 minutes later, opened the flask, got the foldable spoon out, and fished out the hotdogs. They were piping hot!!! Fantastic. Boil-your-own-food-in-a-flask at the hotel moment. Normally the hot water into a mug wouldnt stay hot enough to properly heat the hotdogs, but this worked great!

So needless to say, im even happier now! Maybe this will even work for instant noodles.

Day 3
This time I was too rushed to pre-heat the flask, and I went straight down to breakfast.
8.30am - Hotel microwaved my diet food soup and put into flask. Off to work.
Approx 2pm (So an hour later than the pre-heated day 1) Opened the flask. The soup was hot!! Like hot as in had to sip it a little hot. Not warm, hot!

If I was going to be picky, I wouldnt say steaming hot, but none-the-less. But what do you expect, it was actually microwaved food, so I didnt think that would stay as hot as actual cooked or boiled food. And I forgot to pre-heat the flask. But this STILL exceeded my expectations.

Any questions, or anything you want me to try with the Thermos (within reason) leave a comment, and I'll see how I can help.
55 comments7 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 March 2015
Look carefully at the returns policy. I bought this item on the 18th Jan this year and have only used a handful of times. Despite following heating instructions to the letter it is no longer keeping food warm. On inspection today the thread of the cap doesn't not sit properly in the flask and has now completely ceased. I cannot open the flask. All avenues of trying to return this item to Amazon have been closed down. I had only one month to do so. This item does not meet the standards i expected and I am one really unhappy customer.
11 comment7 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 February 2015
It is stylish. It feels sturdy. And it keeps food warm, not hot. However, the rubber seal that comes with the lid came away within a couple of uses. What is more, it is fiddly to replace. I have since stopped using it, and would therefore not recommend this flask to anyone. I should have returned it. What a waste!