Format: Audio CDChange

on 15 February 2009
Even if you think you have everything possible to possess by 'The Marvelettes', buy this CD.There are [unfortunately] many great tracks that have been missed, for example 'When you are young and in love' but..for once someone out there has put together a collection that has been sharpened. All too often this group has been at the mercy of a hastily thrown together compilation , muddy tracks, hurried notes and the worst possible photographs. This has great pictures and the quality of the sound is as it should have been..Motown at its most dance floor best. even the minor hits such as 'Forever' and 'Strange i know' are cleaner.The jewels in this crown are..A slightly different version of "The hunter get captured by the game' and a version of 'I'll keep holding on' which has got a different drum and piano track so it is crisp and pure northern soul dance around the carpet heaven.
If like me you have collected this type of music from the age of 14 you will hear the difference on many tracks included here..thank heavens at last we have been granted a good 'Marvelettes' package that sounds as good as the brand new records did. I hope you enjoy it .
on 24 August 2011
I must take issue with the other two reviews thus far posted here, but not on the quality of the music. I have given this cd a 3 star rating not on the basis of the music,which is of course fabulous as the other reviewers correctly state, but on the title 'Definitive'. I am so heartily sick of record companies titling collections such as this as 'definitive',ultimate' or 'the very best' etc, etc,when quite clearly they are not. Sincere corporate claims such as 'New' and 'Improved' spring to mind.

The ommissions here are many, and of course Marvelettes/Motown fans may disgree on what should and should not have been included, but to call this 'Definitive' and leave out 'When you're young and in love' on an 18 track cd of only just over 46 minutes running time is just sloppy, sloppy work from the compiler/s and an insult to the buyer.

In addition, the sleeve notes fail to give release dates for the tracks, which is always annoying on historic compilations.

This cd does indeed have a slightly more polished sound than the 2000 US compilation 'The Ultimate Collection' but is a poor substitute in terms of value and material presented.

When will this wonderful, criminally underrated Motown act get the collection it deserves, because this most certainly isn't it. And as long as Universal is managing the Motown catalogue, given their track record thus far, I'm not holding my breath.
on 12 August 2015
I have never for some inexplicable reason had "Please Mr Postman" in my collection which is frankly criminal on my part. This collection has the original recordings digitally remastered and if I only wanted that one song it really had to be this collection. The cd naturally kicks off with "Please Mr Postman" and it is superb. Gladys Hortons rasping vocals tear at the lyrics and the backing singers are crisp and clear. The louder you play it the better it gets.

The Marvelettes bridge that gap between the doowop/ballad girl groups of the late 50s early 60s such as The Chantels and the girl groups of Tamla and this collection comprises some classic late 50s/early 60s pop songs and some great slow songs ("Strange I Know"). If you listen hard enough you might convince yourself that the lead singer on "Someday Someway" is a very young Smokey Robinson.

So why 4 rather than 5 stars. Apart from The Temptations when produced by Norman Whitfield, I was never a fan of the Tamla sound. I found it brassy,somewhat thin and tinny although obviously very danceable. And the latter section of this collection is taken over by Smokey Robinson and
some of the latter tracks just sound like any other Tamla artist coming of the conveyor belt.

So give me the early Marvelettes when Gladys was lead singer any time.

Nevertheless this collection is good value and I am glad at last to have "that song" in my collection.
on 26 January 2010
I agree with earlier review, a good compilation - pity about the omissions but all of their well known hits are here.
I bought this for Beechwood 4-5789 (note to proof readers of Dionne Bromfields CD: not Beachwood!!) and I'm very glad I did as it contains very few fillers - maybe a couple of B sides could have been dropped.
Personal favourites are Too many fish in the sea, You're my remedy, I'll keep holding on, Beechwood 4-5789 and of course Mr Postman.
Worth buying if you like 60's TM sound or Northern soul genre
on 19 March 2013
I already had a Marvelettes Greatest Hits collection from another source and although a proprietry label brand it was more expensive and did not contain some essential tracks. The only significant track omitted here is Destination Anywhere Otherwise it is essential.
on 22 October 2014
My favourite Motown Girl group includes the brilliant Don't mess with Bill, Danger Hearbreak Dead Ahead, and the magical Hunter gets captured by the game they should have been huge. I also recommend Forever More vols 1 and 2.
on 19 November 2014
Not as good as I thought, so I bought another cd with a more comprehensive collection of their work