Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 14 February 2011
I bought this ice crew top, to go walking in and also to wear when I train outdoors in the winter time, I swing kettlebells out doors, and between sets you can cool down a bit too much in the winter months , so I tried the Ice crew, I wore it for a couple of days walking the dogs, then I trained for an hour wearing it and ran in it to see if it started to smell prior to washing it.
I was amazed that It was still odour free after all that working out, whereas the ordinary non merino wool Lifas tend to stink after a few hours wearing them.
I am going Skiing soon and will be wearing it then too, and I am pretty convinced this will be a good baselayer, we always wore the original polyester Lifas on winter warefare excercises when I was with the Royal Marines, though this newer merino wool mix is even better.
Good Kit !!
on 11 February 2011
Have been cycling for many years and only recently came across the concept of a base layer jersey for primarily winter riding. Typically I had just used a T-shirt or similar with a wool jumper and long sleeved cycling top to ward off the chills on winter rides.

However that combination inevitably left me with that uncomfortable clammy feel of the sweaty T-shirt towards the end of the ride. Also if I had to spend any time travelling or otherwise before accessing changing facilities it was even more noticable.

Ordered this base layer and WOW what a difference. The claims are well justified in that the inner layer does act very effectively in "wicking away" any sweat so that you never get that cold clammy sensation. The outer layer also works well as one of the layers to ward off the cold on winter rides.

The item also has a quality feel to it and fits very well.

Am definitely going to buy another one in a different colour probably to give a change option.

It's good enough to be worn on its own when your off the bike.

A great buy all round
on 30 April 2013
I do alot of outdoor exercise in a mountain rescue team, polyester base layers go straight in to the wash after a job as I do sweat excessively. I wear pure merino for longer hiking expeditions for smell reasons although they do not wick as well as say paramo base layers which is the only thing that manages my excessive sweat. Then I bought one of these, the next day was a sweaty strenuous 10 hour search. this base layer managed my sweat effectively, kept me reasonably warm, it was a chilly april day, and the day after I could still wear it, great stuff. I will be buying more.
on 19 February 2012
We went to St.Anton for snowboarding and we had no fancy clothing. We had up to -25 degrees on the piste. I bought this and HHpants for me and my partner. The 57% Merino content works. This was the 1st layer, 2nd was a thin lambswool jumper, 3rd was a woolen jumper and 4th a Winterjacket. Absolute sufficient and sometimes when the sun came out even to hot. Perfect drying over night. Some say it's itchy due to the Merino, not so for me and my partner. No 500.- fancy gore-tex thingy needed. I love it.
on 18 March 2013
I have 2 long sleeved HH Warm shirts myself (very pleased with those) and decided to treat my dad (his shoulders and elbows are very cold-sensitive). So I just assumed those white stripes are painted on (just like my own shirts). I was wrong - these striped details are of a flimsy and thin material, making my purchase totally pointless. Helly Hansen's designers have messed up this one... The places that needed to be covered with that nice warm merino wool are covered by a thin synthetic strip of fabric.
I wore this top as a base layer, all winter long when cycling to and from work.

It wicked nicely, was very lightweight, but the biggest plus was having something that insulated my lower arms. Things have become so hi-tec now with clothing materials and this top is a brilliant example.
11 comment10 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 January 2011
After listening to some frineds about HH base layer, I decided to buy one for those cold days...really impressive!
Smooth, very light, but still protective from harsh days in winter time.
I strongly recommend it for those riders who don't stay home when temperature are on minus side...
on 4 April 2011
Bought this a base layer for snowboarding - I was looking for a nice balance of quality and function versus price and this was just the job.

Worn in a snowdome at about -6 degrees with only a jumper on top it still keeps you nice and warm enough to work up a sweat!

The merino wool works nicely with the under layer, only thing is what others have said about the cuffs feeling tight, although they are now better after a few uses and washes.

Would recommend and buy again for sure.
on 16 June 2013
Felt uncomfortable. I just wanted a super warm thermal undergarment for UK winters, fuel saving. I found the material scratchy. Too expensive to keep. After trying out several brans I found Campri/ Sports Direct do the best base layers for casual wear. Perhaps this garment functions well for sport but as a cozy vest for winter- not for me.
on 6 February 2016
Great product, nice and warm as the second of about 5 layers (depending on the day) that I wore in Antarctica.

If you are interested, I had a very strange experience with the purchase. This is part of the message I sent to Amazon:

"I can't say if it's definitely the wrong item or not. The HH box label says it is 'L/G Hommes' which is correct as I ordered Large for Men. BUT the label attached to the garment says "L/G Femmes" - i.e. Women. Why they aren't labelled in English is another question!

I think it more likely that the garment label is correct - unless a batch has been labelled wrongly. While nothing is overtly feminine shape, how can I tell without wearing garment which I don't want to do if it needs to be exchanged?

Can you investigate and get back to me asap?"

Amazon CS were brilliant. Phoned me up and said as the next day was a holiday and they couldn't check their shelves to see if this was a batch mistake or a one-off shipping error, they'd just immediately send me another definitely men's, and I could keep the first! Which they did, and my partner was pleased to receive the first one.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse