on 11 December 2009
Just received the 4x5kg cast iron discs to replace my vinyl stock of the same weight category, at first glance I was impressed as they are exactly as described and are suitable for the 1 inch diametre, 14inch long spinlock York dumbell bars I had already.
They come in a box of four 5kg discs which gave the local postman a slight shock as he went to lift them out of the van and apart from this each is cast with the weight and York logo clearly visible on each side of the disc.
Being thinner than my vinyl weights allows you to stack more weight on each dumbell bar which is an obvious advantage and the reason for the purchase.
I've deducted one star as the black paint is slightly powdery and rubs off on the hands when first using the discs, however a good rub of a damp cloth and this problem is easily solved. Overall very good quality product but make sure your aware your bars diameter size prior to ordering, i.e. standard=1inch olympic=2inches!
on 29 December 2010
I bought the 4 x 5kg weights to add to my 20kg York dumbell set bought from Amazon. Just before paying £30 for them on Amazon, however, I checked Argos and found they were available for just under £25. Turns out they've both gone out of stock today so I'm made up I took the plunge and bought them!

It's worth pointing out that the discs do look different to the product picture here (not sure if it's just the lighting though). They are identical in finish to the discs in the afforementioned 20kg York dumbell set. Basically matte black with a slightly rough surface. A small amount of powder-esque substance rubs off at first but a damp cloth will sort this. "York" and "5kg" are cast onto both sides. In my opinion they look pretty tidy as they compliment the chrome dumbell bars I use.

The thickness of the discs is the same as that of the 2.5kg variants: ~ 27mm. I can fit 3 x 5kg discs onto each end of the dumbell with the spinlocks secured. In case you want to know, the diameter of the discs is roughly 190mm. Seems they've manufactured them with a good balance between thickness and diameter. Considering they're made of cast iron, you can slap on a hefty amount of weight without them being overly massive like an equivalent sand-filled disc.

Mine came in a deceptively small cardboard box, which gave the guy at the counter in Argos a shock as he nearly keeled over right in front of me!

Think that covers it; any questions feel free to ask.
on 6 January 2013
They're metal, heavy, round and fit a 1" bar.

If these are not your requirements then you will be entirely disappointed with this product.
on 4 September 2009
I wanted 4x 5kg lumps of metal to go on my dumbells and thats exactly what I got. Fab stuff.
on 21 August 2011
I ordered the 4 x 2.5kg set here together with the York 20kg Dumbell set, and am very happy with the lot.

30kg is much better than the 20kg dumbells alone, the extra weight makes all the diffrence.

See also my uploaded photos of these weights, together with the York 20kg Dumbell set.
review image review image review image
on 15 December 2011
I originally wanted 2 10kg plates, however the price for those is ridiculous - £40.

With these you get the same weight, but half the price. This is because 4 5kg plates take up more space on the bar than 2 10kg plates.

I have a big bar so it doesn't make a difference to me...it would be a waste of money getting 2 10's.

Regarding the actual weights, they're what you expect.

There are small scratches on 2 out of the 4 plates but they don't affect anything apart from looks, which don't matter.

I accurately weighed each plate, the average is 4.9925 kg per plate which is basically 5.

Delivery was excellent. I chose the free super saver option and the weights were delivered within 2 days.
on 5 June 2010
These are great. The packaging is good, the price is very good and the free delivery makes these the cheapest I can find anywhere. I bought the 4x 2.5 and 5kg weights to replace my vinyl plates that were taking up too much space on the dumbells. Now I can go a lot heavier, which is always good :).
on 23 March 2012
Worth the price if only to see the delivery man struggle down my path with them. 20kg's man what's wrong with you?

York is a great brand who's products I've owned before. If I would pick on something negative (and this is grasping here) the only thing that comes to mind is the deafening CHIIINNNGGGG!!! you get every time you clatter two of these together. Ear piercing I think.

That said, I'm glad I bought the individual 2.5kg's and 5kg's plates to start with instead of opting for the 50kg set that comes with those pointless 0.5's or 1.25's
on 17 September 2012
I ordered these weights to add to the resistance of my York 15kg Chrome dumbell set, although they should work with any 1" diameter dumbell or barbell bars. The 4x 2.5kg discs arrived in a huge box, which when opened revealed alot of airbags and a tiny box just barely big enough for the weights inside, this confused the courier as it was a large box which was heavy in one small area only.

The weights once unpacked are exactly what I expected, rougher in finish than the chrome weights I have but this is an unexpected advantage as when they are the largest weight used on a dumbell its rougher surface makes it less prone to rolling away.

I've been using these weights now for nearly a month and they work perfectly, I have noticed a tiny bit of wear around the inner faces of the discs, like as if black paint is wearing away, but it does not effect the usage of them.

Best of all I researched the weights at York fitness' own website prior to purchasing and the price here was far less than direct from the factory outlet online.

So not only would I recommend these weight discs, but I will likely buy a second set in the near future.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have brought these, and must say they do the job pretty well.

Firstly: They don't look the best plates. However, if you are working out at home, in your garage or whatever, does that really matter?

Secondly: The finish. It chips. This is a simple annoyance, but worth being aware of.

Essentially, I like these, and will probably buy more, or the 7.5 kilo ones :D. I am not really bothered about apperance, as its only me using them.