on 24 June 2011
I have been using this Barbell Pad for a few days now and what a difference it makes, when doing squats i was getting fed up with my neck and shoulders aching every time i did a set of squats, it is very comfortable to use and does not allow the bar to move and more importantly it allows me to move onto heavier weights with no added discomfort so i can recommend this product good price and does the job
on 26 June 2014
Was not expecting much for the price but this turned out to be a great addition to my bench. I do agree with others about the velcro coming open if placed a certain way on your back but resolved this by using electrical tape around the foam insert then wrapping it in the original outer. Hasn't done it since.
on 15 July 2012
I needed a bit of padding for one of my barbells as I do Seated Calf Raises and using any reasonable amount of weight meant that the bar was digging into and bruising the tops of my legs just above the knees.
So I bought the 1" Barbell Pad from York. As with all York's gear (well, certainly the stuff I've bought), it's well made and sturdy. It fits snugly on my 5ft, 1" bar and I was able to put 100kg on without having any problems. In that past, I've been using pillows just above my knees but this pad does the job 101% better (and it stops my wife nagging me when I take them from her side of the bed).
The only downside is that I've found that you need to position it just right, with the opening at the top. Otherwise, they barbell has a tendency to roll a bit and slip out. But that's a minor point and as long as you keep the bar steady, it's no problem.
I've not squatted with it (I use an Olympic bar for that and don't have a problem with taking the weight unpadded) but I have also used it for Good Mornings and again found it very comfortable.
All in all, a good buy.
on 24 January 2016
Rubbish compared to competitor products. Foam is too thin. Also foam is not attached to the sleeve so slips out when being fitted so a pain. Also a very tight fit so not simple to velcro on. I also have the same barbell pad made by We R which cost about £1 more but which is vastly superior
on 12 November 2015
I love this barbell pad!!

Not only does it give you the support on your neck for squats but also, used on seated barbell calf raises, it gives support on the knees for calf raises.

Cheap, easy to put on the bar. Fits perfectly and, above all, extremely comfortable....
on 17 November 2011
Bought this to use with my spare barbell in my home gym and wasn't disappointed. It comes in two parts, the foam middle which is cut to easily place over the barbell and then the outer padding which is wrapped around this and held in place with Velcro. This is great because it means its easy and fast to remove if you are wanting to do dead lifts with your hands close together and then you can easily pop it back on to do squats. The pad is large enough to accommodate those with broad shoulders and is very comfortable. The outer padding is quite robust so it should last a long long time. A great and cheap addition to make squats more bearable.
on 30 September 2014
I was very uncomfortable in the gym with the bar, now it's all a thing of the past. if the trainer calls for the bar, I whip it out of my bag! fits one perfectly, does not get in the way, makes for a comfortable exercise
on 24 February 2014
I was looking for something to give extra support for my neck when doing squats, this pad fits the standard barbell and provides great comfort meaning I could do more leg/back training! The pad wraps around the bar easily and doesn't give too much movement when training. Would definitely recommend.
on 18 June 2014
...I end up sometimes just relaxing with a Pimms and a punnet of strawberries after a set of squats whilst perusing the latest at Wimbledon!

Seriously, I'm using it on a 1'York bar and it makes squats a LOT easier IMO. As your legs and back are the biggest muscle areas in your body it's vital to get these exercised if you are training/lifting and anything that helps you do that with less than the discomfort of your own effort is not to be dismissed.

In all other seriousness I do have a PC in the spare/gym room at home so the tennis has been on, as well as the footy, darts, cricket, rugby and snooker! Pimms is yet to make an appearance but there's still time yet!

Edit some time on: I advise this for beginners only, once you start to stack up the weight a pad won't make much difference. You may also get accused in the gym of being a girl and using the cat pad which is all fine if you are a girl but not otherwise!
on 9 July 2014
Good product but easy room for improvements!

This is much thicker and better than the cheap £2 one I bought to begin with. The 2 inch thick pad provides support for your back/shoulders when squatting however the red fold around literally just folds around!

It is not connected/attached to the pad at all and I find it annoying to fit each time so I just use the black cushion bit.