on 26 May 2010
Put simply, this bar is excellent for home use. The spin-lock collars can irritate if you are frequently changing plates but, since the weights shouldn't be sliding around if you're using good form, you don't have to lock them tight which saves time. The weight sleeves of the bar are a little short so you will need to opt for heavier weights and fewer of them if you want to push yourself. As has already been mentioned by another reviewer, this bar is not compatible with Olympic plates - the bar is only 1" in diameter. For the money this bar is a great addition to a home gym and can save a lot of wrist strain on your bicep curls.
on 30 July 2014
This bar, is a bar. It's made from solid metal, does weigh in at about 5.1kg and is a bit over 1 meter long in total with about 17 cm each side for weight plates.
It's good value.
It's not as angled as some would like.
I think it's fine.
All my standard (1") plates fit fine on it.
I originally received a yoga mat (?!) in the post. I then emailed Amazon after that. I returned the yoga mat and received the actual bar very quickly, so, good work there Amazon.
The bar wasn't packaged in much more than some plastic, it's not exactly like it's going to break though.
Thanks for reading.
on 18 December 2009
Great price spin-lock curling bar, and with free postage it's a real bargain. The gym I go to have this exact bar, and have had it for over three years, it's had a lot of use and abuse and it has withheld it well - so I know it's a hardy piece of equipment and will last me for years. A*.
on 22 May 2009
Same as the 6ft straight bar - Does exactly what its designed for. Spin lock design can be tedious if you're changing plates a lot but will work your wrists!
NOT suitable for Olympic size plates as I found out, only 1 inch diameter, don't make the same mistake I did through ignorance! I've now ordered an Olympic bar.
on 24 April 2013
Great additional piece of workout equipment for home, coupled with some 5kg plates this item is perfect for doing some upper body strengthening as part of my exercise regime. First time users may require gloves as the grips are quite abrasive and will cause calloused hands to begin with.
on 8 November 2015
Great bar! There is wealth of exercises you can do with this over a straight bar.
The spinlocks work nicely and quickly and hold the weights with no issues.
Please note this is a 'standard size' bar so do NOT buy Olympic weights as they will not fit on this bar.
on 20 July 2016
Arrived early. I purchased on a lightening deal as my teenage son has been looking at buying a bar for the last year - he currently just has dumb bells - so when I saw this on the lightening deal it was a must. Seems okay to me and as the bar itself weight 5 kilos it will take the amount of weights my son requires.
on 20 April 2016
Arrived very quickly (although it was left outside my front door even though I was inside at the time of delivery). Good sturdy well made item that I purchased to replace a hollow tube version I had been using previously. I purchased this to get a better quality bar, and also it added more weight as its solid rather than hollow. As mentioned in another review the hand grips don't seem to be as angled as I'm used to, or not as angled as my previous bar, but that may just need getting used to. Good quality product and the locking nuts work well.
on 8 July 2014
As curvy as it looks(i.e. not massively, but enough), despite what some people said.
Decent build quality. The locking thingers do tend to slowly undo themselves, but if you check them between sets, it's fine.
on 25 March 2014
I love this curl bar! It offers much more variety than a straight curl bar, allowing you to test a whole range of upper body muscles. My old clunky weights fit easily onto the bar, and the spin locks are sturdy without much movement. Overall, would highly recommend this item. York is a known entity in fitness equipment and this curl bar is representative of that.