1,160

I was recently told by my dentist that i had to buy an electric toothbrush if i wanted to keep my teeth into my old age.

He recommended 2, a Braun professional and one of these.

I read all the reviews, and this came out better so i ordered this one.

I have had it a week now and i can see the difference already, my teeth are noticeably whiter than before, and my teeth were pretty dark to be fair, but that's because i have naturally dark dentine according to my dentist, but 10 years of coffee stains had built up (dental phobia) and within a week they have all gone, i was shocked to say the least.

The one thing i will also say is how pleasant it is to use, it isn't harsh or abrasive but a nice and gentle humming feeling.

It also clicks off automatically after 2 minutes but before it does that it beeps every 30 seconds to tell you to move onto the next quadrant of your mouth, that was pretty handy for me because its hard to judge it yourself when you are brushing.

Personally i brush 2 minutes on the top and 2 on the bottom, but that's just personal preference and my teeth feel like silk when i have finished.

Cant comment on battery life really, i charged it up and it has gone 8 minutes a day for 7 days so far and i haven't had to recharge it, that to me seems pretty good.

Also whilst a lot of people are complaining that it packs in after 18 months, there is a 2 year warranty on it so you would get a free replacement, and i paid £75 for this and if it breaks after 18 months i get a new one, if it breaks after 2 years i will buy a new one anyway because quite frankly its still cheaper than having your teeth professionally cleaned.

Again heads, Philips Sonicare HX6013/02 ProResults Standard Toothbrush Heads - 3-Pack some people say are expensive but i think £5 per head is pretty damn cheap to be honest and you only need to change them about every 3 months, there is an indicator on the head that changes from blue to white to let you know when you need too anyway.

I also love the case that comes with it, perfect for travelling, and you can pop 2 heads in there so you always have a spare.

Nothing negative to say at all :0)
0Comment| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 17 December 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been using an older sonicare model for about a year and am absolutely delighted with the results. This one is a little slimmer, has simplified buttons and boasts a new "whitening" setting.

The brush sets up turbulance in your saliva and toothpaste as it slops around your teeth, so as well as the physical rubbing of the bristles, you get a between tooth clean from the liquid being pushed through. Its no substitute for flossing but really makes a big improvement over brushing with a traditional brush.

This can seem a lot of money for a toothbrush, but then again, its tough to get an NHS dentist these days and the costs of dental work make the tag on this gadget seem altogether reasonable when you think about it.

I had to buy a special plug adapter for it as I don't have a shaver socket in my house. An included adapter would have been nice at these prices, and this can't be that rare a situation.

This brush is every bit as good as my previous model, but I am not that impressed with the new whitening mode.

I would say that if you don't have an electronic toothbrush already then this is a very good one to get. If however you already have a previous sonicare model, then do not be tempted to upgrade purely by the new "whitening" setting. Its no great advance and no reason to upgrade.

You have to suspect gimmicks like this are an attempt to get existing users to shell out again. If they come up with a significant breakthrough, then fair enough, but this isn't one of those.
99 comments| 508 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 October 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Fairly new to using an electric toothbrush really, well part from the Oral B one which is still going strong I hasten to add.

I was a little dubious about using this if I am honest (sonicare sounds more like one of those sonic bathroom/kitchen cleaning brushes, that are supposed to be quite lethal). But I was brave and can honestly say there was no blood! Just whiter looking teeth and it certainly does boost your confidence knowing that your teeth are clean and white, even if you are a red wine drinker like myself.

The one gripe I have with this toothbrush is the fact that it doesn't come with a adapter (two pin plug) and you must remember that not every bathroom has one of these. I found one from one of my other appliances, but for the cost of this I would have thought that one would come as standard! Come on Philip's you are letting your standards down on this one. You gain points in my estimation though as you give it a 2 year warranty! Plus a guarantee of noticeable results etc or a full refund, what more can you ask for!

The brush has three modes, clean, sensitive, clean and white and reslly is the most easiest thing to use. I have been using mine all week now and it still has power, eventually got used to the shape of it, as I have small hands and this is slightly bigger than the Oral B I am familar with. Also the brush head is more like the shape of a conventional toothbrush, not small and rounded like the previous one I have used. Yet I have to confess I am a fan, the feeling it leaves me with is that of having been to the dentist for a scale and polish, really clean, smoother feeling teeth (but with no dental fees!)

The instructions are clear and easy to follow, you must read these first as there is a method of using it at the begining which you really should follow!

I have noticed an improvement on an old crown where it was removed then filled, the tooth is brighter, and feels smooth when my tongue touches it.

It is also safe to use on teeth that are veneered, sensitive, implant material or even with braces, what cann't this be used on ? (false ones I think).
What I also like about it is the fact that it comes with different coloured rings so up to three people can use it (each with a different head of course) just buy the extra heads then you are away, and talking of that it does come with a travel case, so no more grubby brush on your trips.

The charger is not too big or bulky another plus if needing it to travel with or even if you are short of bathroom surface space. Plus it is easy to wrap the cord around, no tangles.

I have actually seen this item advertised in Company magazine as being the best if combined along dental floss and a good quality toothpaste, so rather than get a bleach/whitening kit pricey done at home or the dentist use this instead (a lot cheaper too).

This does what it says it should! An easy to use quality made product which actually delivers excellent results.

I have to keep smiling now just to show off my brighter looking teeth, they really do look like I have spent a fortune at the dentist, but no I have spent less than the cost of one dental checkup.

Will I go back to using my old brush, lets just say I have cleaned it up and put it away in the airing cupboard, as this Sonicare has convinced me this is the one!

It is the middle of January 2009 now and it is still going strong, have been using it now for the last 4 months and I can say that there is a big difference in the colour of my teeth (whiter).

Have just changed the head on the brush, an easy job to do. It does say to change the head every three months like you would a normal manual toothbrush, but I had flu so wanted that to clear up then start afresh with a new toothbrush head.

It still keeps its charge like at the start, charge it up and it lasts a full week.

So have been using this for a quarter of the year and wouldn't change anything about it.

As of May 2009 mine is still working, (fully functional) have read that a couple of others have had a problem after about 7 months. I suppose it is a bit like anything there is always going to be an odd one or two with a problem, whether this is down to the design or users not sure.

The big thing about this toothbrush is that it does come with a guarantee (2 years) so if you do get an issue with it, you can always get some help with it.

As I have raved about this toothbrush so much at home, my husband now wants to try one out ..... so either he thinks it does a pretty dammed good job, or he is just feed up of me going on about it!
22 comments| 286 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 November 2009
I have used sonic toothbrushes for years and have switched between sonicare and braun models. I have found the Sonicare better than the Braun for cleaning performance. However, we have just returned the second one of these (Amazon have been very good with the returns) and this time I asked for a refund. The problem it seems a link between the toothbrush head and motor breaks. This is exactly the same as the last one. We haven't dropped it and we have a normal usage pattern; my husband and I use it twice a day. It is a shame. When Sonicare wasn't owned by Philips, the toothbrshes were a lot better. This has strengthened my view that all Philips products are rubbish - anything I own with a Philips badge on it either breaks or doesn't perform very well. Maybe I am unlucky!
1515 comments| 155 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 October 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the second Philips Electric Toothbrush I have owned from the Sonicare range and there is a reason that I have gone back to them. The Sonicare is a very powerful toothbrush that seems to brush my teeth better than other competitors I have tried. The difference between this HealthyWhite Deluxe model and my previous model is that this is about £100 cheaper! The amazing thing is you lose hardly anything by buying the cheaper model. There are three options on the HealthyWhite, this is all you need. The Clean and White option in particular works brilliantly to clean your teeth. This model does not come with a UV cleaner! Great! I did not need one and found it excessive in the first place.

The only misgiving I have with the HealthyWhite is the build quality. My previous brush broke within the year and needed replacing. However, don't worry as this comes with a FREE 2 year guarantee just remember to send it off (unlike I did : ( ). People with sensitive teeth and gums should also be careful as it is very powerful and can cause bleeding gums if used incorrectly. To help you in this the device starts off with 14 weaker cleans slowly building up in power as you become more confident. This is a great idea and really helps you get to grips with the techniques needed for optimum use.

Despite these small misgivings I am very impressed with the HealthyWhite. Your teeth feel very smooth after cleaning and I do notice some whitening effect. Just make sure you look after it and you should be in for a few years good cleaning.
33 comments| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This toothbrush is similar to the Philips Sonicare FlexCare Rechargeable Sonic Toothbrush with Sanitizer in many ways:

1. It gives you "dentist clean" with every brushing
2. It breaks you in gently to the sonic cleaning experience
3. You have a choice of two brushing heads with caps, and it uses the same brushes as the FlexCare.
4. It's easy to set up and easy to use
5. There's an indicator to tell you when it needs recharging
6. It has a timer that lets you know when the recommended brushing time is up, with a thirty second indicator for switching your brushing zones
7. It comes with a small charger for when you're traveling, and a case for the toothbrush and heads
8. The base of the charger has a groove where you can tuck away some of the power cord so it doesn't dangle or tangle.

The differences are:

1. This one is geared towards tooth whitening, particularly for teeth stained by the usual suspects like coffee and tobacco
2. There are three brushing modes (The FlexCare has three modes and two routines)
i. Clean
ii. Sensitive
iii. Clean and White (Clean mode plus 30 seconds for whitening your front teeth)
3. You can only switch between modes when the toothbrush is turned on, so if you want the Sensitive mode, you have to apply toothpaste and press the start button twice. It's better to do this with the toothbrush in your mouth if you don't want toothpaste all over the bathroom mirror and sink.
4. The travel charger fits neatly in the base of the regular charger for storage, so you just have to take it out when needed.
5. This model doesn't have the UV Sanitizer (sold separately) but has places for brush heads for two users. It comes with color rings for identification purposes.
6. The travel case is made of sturdy white plastic with compartments for the brush and two heads.

This one is recommended for the couple that smokes and/or drinks coffee, tea or red wine together, to make sure they stay together with white and healthy smiles. It's also pretty good for smokin' singles.

Amanda Richards
on 19 July 2012
Yes, this brush cleans very well. However, as many others have said, it has a short lifespan. Mine died after 14 months. The primary issue appears to be the fact that IT IS NOT WATERTIGHT. Really, a toothbrush of all things, you'd think, would be sealed. It all started when I noticed black gunky mold appeared to be growing in the rubber seal, despite me rinsing it off after each use. Then I started noticing a foul smell when it was used. I eventually bleached the area and within 1 month, the motor died. I opened it up and saw that the inside was covered with moisture and gunk. Not sure if I'll get a replacement or not... not even sure if I want one, frankly. For the hefty price I was expecting something high quality...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been using this toothbrush for about three weeks now which has given me time to compare it with the electric toothbrush I've been using for some time before - the Oral-B 8000. This Philips toothbrush retails at double the price of that one so I was looking forward to see how it compares.
This brush has 3 basic settings for
a. Standard sonic clean.
b. Sensitive teeth
c. Sonic cleaning and whitening
All of the settings have a handy 2 minute timer so that you know how long to brush for, and using it you certainly feel like your teeth are getting a good clean. The handset indicators are simple to understand and it holds its charge well too; I'm only just having to charge the handset up now which is pretty good going.
The cleaning results from this brush were very good but to be honest they don't appear to be any better than my old `non-sonic' electric toothbrush. Using floss afterwards I still seem to get the same amount of residue as I did before and I haven't actually noticed any whitening of my teeth, though to be fair I didn't use a colour chart or anything like that to monitor any improvements.
Overall I think I prefer the smaller rotary head of my Oral-B 8000 to this Philips model. I missed the grippy surface of the handle on that one too (much better for wet hands to hold), and the smaller head is easier to fit into awkward places in the mouth. Don't get me wrong, I think this is a very good toothbrush - and for anyone still using a manual brush then I'd recommend it heartily. But for anyone who is already using an Oral-B who thinks that they'd be better off with a sonicare brush then I'd say to think twice.
VINE VOICEon 20 October 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The toothbrush comes with a brush head, travel case and charger. It has 3 programmes which have timers in built in them to make you move to another section of your mouth. Basically the toothbrush makes a different noise and you know to move, eg to the lower front side of your teeth. The timer covers the 4 sections of your mouth (lower front and back, upper front and back of teeth, plus the white mode also has an extra two timers for your front teeth upper and lower.

After using the toothbrush I felt my teeth were clean and I was pleased with the result. I didn't notice any difference between the quality of the clean between my last toothbrush and this one. I would add that my last toothbrush was the Philips Sonicare with the Sanitiser unit (their most expensive model I believe). I would buy this cheaper toothbrush over the more expensive one.

I have to add to this review now on 29th November. Last December I received another expensive Phillips toothbrush courtesy of Amazon Vine, a couple of months ago it totally died. I went on the net, contacted Phillips, received a return number, sent the toothbrush back and a few week's later received a replacement toothbrush as the toothbrush was guaranteed for 2 years. I add this comment to illustrate that if things do go wrong a replacement is efficiently sent to you and that you can buy with confidence from Phillips. Well done.

My only reservation with the Philips toothbrush is its life. As I just said my last toothbrush was their most expensive one, courtesy of the Vine Program back in December, but it has now broken after 10 months of use. This makes me a bit wary of how long the product is going to last. Though Philips offer a two year guarantee on their toothbrushes so I presume if it breaks you should be able to get a replacement but really I don't expect to be paying out a lot of money and then finding it breaks after less than a year's use. I am hoping this toothbrush will be different.

As a toothbrush I can recommend it for doing its job. My only reservation is, is it going to break a lot earlier than you would expect.
on 1 May 2010
Up until about 2 days ago I was very pleased with this. Up until then the only downside was the packaging - inside the box the brush was hermetically sealed in plastic and I actually broke a pair of scissors getting it open! The cleaning was good - certainly better than our old Sonicare Elite which finally gave up the ghost after a number of years.

Then it just stopped working only three and a bit months after purchase! It still buzzes but the head doesn't vibrate. The brush had not been dropped or maltreated in any way so there was no obvious reason for the failure. Maybe I was unlucky but there are a number of reviewers who have had similar problems so I opted for a refund rather than a replacement. Usual great service from Amazon who processed the refund without any problem.