on 6 June 2008
The Amplug is excellent for practicing. It's small, light and easily portable with good sound quality and reasonable volume levels. The ease of use makes this a valuable bit of kit and well worth the investment.
Unfortunately the construction feels and looks quite cheap and fragile, the gain has to be turned up quite high to allow the volume control to remain low to avoid unwanted hiss. Also the jack struggles to reach comfortably down the Strat style lead burrow and has to rest on the bridge on my Ibanez, which is a bit annoying.
All that said, I still would recommend the Amplug Ac30 as these are niggles rather than significant problems. I advise listening to the examples of the AC30, Classic and Metal Amplugs on the Vox website to choose the correct sound for you.
0Comment42 of 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 October 2010
Received promptly from Amazon.I tried this on my electric guitars and it enables you to not only play your guitar without disturbing anyone but you can play late at night.It might not sound the same as playing through your amplifier but even through the headphones it gives a realistic simulation.I have several guitars and listening through the headphones this little amplifiers shows the different tones of the pick ups.Very pleased with this unit.
on 25 January 2014
If I had time to teach I would insist all students buy this little box. Not only does it allow you to practice at all times without disturbing anybody but it is remarkably clear before being driven which means you can hear all the scuffs and scrapes you might be practising into your playing and correct them. Turning up the drive will satisfy all the rockers but high volume does create hiss - hard to avoid with such a small gadget but still avoidable if kept at an acceptable level. Something so useful could perhaps be more ruggedly built but perhaps this is the price you pay for paying a reasonable price.
on 1 February 2009
I bought this for my boyfriend who is gadget/guitar obsessed. I was worried that he would think that it is a bit of a novelty present, but he loves it. The sound quality is actually quite good and it is extremely usable.
on 25 February 2014
The only good things you can say about this product is that it is cheap and that it works. Other than that the sound quality is appalling (God knows why they market these as 'models' of real amps, there is no way they sound anything other than like a digital tin can) and the build quality feels like something from a Poundland budget range. It sounds so awful I couldn't bear to play with it more than twice: it just felt like listening to a mosquito. I bought it with the mini cab, and the attachment is so flimsy it made constant static noise every time the guitar moved. Invest some money in an apogee jam or irig HD so you can at least feel like you're playing a guitar. This is nonsense.
on 30 March 2010
A good item and handy too for late night practice. There is some extra noise but nothing too annoying and this can be reduced by altering the tone settings etc. A good product especially for beginners with neighbours and/or families!!
on 31 October 2014
I’ve never owned an AC30 but I am familiar with the sound, used by the Beatles, The Stones, Kings Of Leon.. so after
listening to demos on YouTube I decided to give this a try – and I am glad I did!
It has three controls, Gain, Tone and Volume, I set them all around 6 or so (volume above 8 tends to add too much
extra static noise for my liking), then I use my tone and volume on the guitar to shape my sound.
It really does teach you how to select the right pickup, volume and tone controls instead of leaving them on full.
You can go from nice clean tones to light distortion just be rolling the volume on the guitar. If you want more overdrive
adjust the gain, AC/DC tones can be found, anything heavier then look elsewhere.
The only negative for me (as others have stated is that it may not be that robust (I wouldn’t say flimsy), I ordered a
short extension lead for mine so the plug isn’t resting on my leg whilst playing, it also means that the controls are
more visible as they are away from you whilst in operation.
A nice set of headphone’s and you can play without upsetting the whole family, the price range means to can access
a flavour for the amps that most of us can only dream of. I spent £300 on an amp and wish I’d have purchased this first!

Listen to sound samples and give one a go, I have the Night Train version also, see separate review.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 October 2013
Can now play my electric guitar as loud as I like without disturbing the family or the neighbours and there is quite a good range of sounds that it produces.
on 28 February 2014
It's not real quality; it might disappoint but, if you are looking for something you can put in your pocket and get a reasonable sound from, then it's alright. If quality is more important and you have a bit more space - and morney - then a proper mini amp is much better. I have two mini amps from reputable brands and found that there is a world of difference between what you get for £40 and £80.
on 6 March 2014
Crystal clear sound, no buzz, exceptionally clean when compared to Rockman as an example. Could have had more crunch and definition on top gain, but what to expect from such a tiny box? - for what it is, it does an amazing job. Easily 4 out of 5, but could have given 5 just the same... perhaps if the feel of the box and volume knobs was not such "cheap plastic", could improve there...