Format: DVD|Change

on 18 November 2008
I've watched almost every episode of Mock the Week and think that Frankie Boyle is the true star of the programme. Whilst I respect he's not to everyone's taste his 'close to the knuckle' style of humour always makes me wet myself, although I do sometimes find myself cringing in disbelief at some of the stuff he comes out with.

When I heard he was coming to my home town of Taunton I immediately snapped up tickets to see him. It's not often an act of his stature comes to visit. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the show and was in stitches throughout, as were the rest of the audience from what I could see. Yes, some of the jokes I had heard before on Mock the Week but this only accounted for around 10% of the show. The rest was fresh to my ears and some of it was obviously brand new material as he was talking about events that had only happened that week. Personally I thought that on the night his interaction with the audience was fantastic and appeared to be 'off the cuff', even if the "what do you do?" line did wear a bit thin come the end. However, be warned... If you don't like the use of the word 'c**t' do not go to see Frankie as it's used very frequently.

So good was Frankie's performance that I had to go out and buy the DVD. To be honest it was a bit of a waste of money cos the routine was exactly the same as the show, minus the recent topical stuff. Even the cruel remarks to the audience were the same. So much for being off the cuff! It soon became clear why he kept asking the audience what they did for work. Any other questions would have required Frankie to make something up on the spot instead of the well rehearsed replies he used at both the live show I went to and the DVD. To be fair to him though I was kind of expecting this to be the case. It was exactly the same when I watched Alan Carr's DVD after seeing him live. I guess most comedians have a well rehearsed routine that they adapt slightly as the tour progresses. Some clearly adapt more than others. However, I have to say that despite all of this I did find myself watching the whole DVD from start to finish and laughing at all the same jokes and put downs as I had the night before. There's just no denying that this guy is extremely funny. Whether Frankie will be remembered in time to come for his stand up routines or his television work on shows such as Mock the Week remains to be seen. I for one shall be watching with interest.

In summary this DVD is a must buy if you haven't seen one of Frankie's live shows. However if you have seen him live, unless you want a memento of your night I would save your pennies and buy something else.
on 17 March 2016
Bought for my other half who loves frankie boyle although i must admit i wasnt to keen on him myself at first but after watching a few off his dvd,s now i cant help but laugh along with him,but you have to understand his humour b4 your on his wavelength,hes just very strait to the point and says it in a sarcastic humour,u either love or hate him lol,del quick also
😀👍🏻
on 11 November 2008
Okay, after much eager anticipation on waiting for this DVD to be released, it finally happenned and I went out and bought myself a copy last night. Up until this point, for any Frankie Boyle stuff its either been mock the week or youtube.

From the get go on this DVD however, it was a tad disappointing. As said in other reviews, 90-99% OF THE MATERIAL ON THIS DVD HAS BEEN ON MOCK THE WEEK. Because of this, I was a bit annoyed. I understand the nature of standup (i.e. having set jokes, opening up sets of people in the audience to come back to later in the night etc) but to use this amount of material again is unbelieveable.

From his fast wit, off the cuff, shock factor humour on mock the week to this...i don't know, it's a bit difficult to explain. When you watch this DVD and you see the exact same jokes, same hand movements, same everything (when you believed what you saw on mock the week was totally off the cuff & original) then you'll see what I mean & what i'm trying to explain.

On this DVD in particular, he just seems like he's out to do a job and theres no genuine connection between the entertainer & the audience...when he presumably can't think of any jokes of hand, he then picks off people in the audience for what becomes, for the most part, predictable.

I don't want to cause any arguments here, but check out Billy Connelly...yes, they go down different routes in terms of humour but with Billy Connelly, you genuinely believe & feel a connection...and he comes out wanting to make that connection.

Bit of advice...don't buy this DVD - if you're needing some Frankie Boyle stuff, buy the mock the week DVD instead. The fast paced environment of mock the week is much more suited to his humour.
77 comments| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 November 2008
Having waited impatiently for the release of this DVD since Amazon listed it, i have to say this is everything it promised to be.

Frankie Boyle's humour isn't to everyone's taste, not so much near the knuckle as dead on it; crude, rude and offensively hilarious.

It's true that you've heard quite a number of the jokes before, but 90-99% of them? Come on. Each of the old favourites we've all heard before from Mock the Week was sandwiched between new, extremely funny observations and quick witted remarks. I'm the sort of sad freak who's watched all the Mock the Week episodes and relived them all on Dave. (So glad i wasn't sitting front row for any of Frankie's shows, he'd have had a field day taking the P out of me, i'm sure!) So if he's said the jokes before, i've heard 'em. And you know what? It's still bust a gut funny. Afterall, you go and see the bands you like live and buy their cds to hear your favourite songs, why isn't it the same for comedians and jokes?

In conclusion, this is an absolute must for Frankie fans, but if you'll be disappointed by anything less than a whole new act of jokes, then maybe have a re-think before clicking 'add to basket'.

~x~
on 27 December 2008
Well it annoys me to start like this. But I have to given the negative reaction.

The re-use of material - Frankie is in an unusual position. Because of the exposure Mock the Week has - and the amount of time he gets on it - he gets through a lot of his own material during a series on the show. And because of his over-exposure (and TV channel 'DAVE' - which shows endless repeats of old series) - there an overspill of material onto this DVD. I don't see this as a problem - its his material - he's written it, he's entitled to use it on his DVD. The way some people review on here is like he's done a 'Peter Kay' and re-released a DVD of Mock the Week jokes - he hasn't.

Secondly. To whatever person said that "90-99% of the jokes are from Mock The Week" - wrong. I can't tell you a rough amount, purely because I've seen endless runs of Mock the Week, I've seen him live on tour, I've watched him on Live at the Apollo, and now this DVD - so I've forgotten what material was used on Mock The Week and what wasn't. But I can say with a fair amount of confidence that its no more than 40-50% at tops. And even so, the 'A' material is only on this DVD - which in itself makes it worth buying.

So to the review. It's four stars mainly because of his interaction with the audience - is poor. It's funny, he'll rip people about how bad their jobs are till the cows come home - but it begins to become a tad predictable - still funny though - it's not predictable to the point where you're not going to laugh.

Outside of that, the material is of a brilliant standard. It's offensive - sure, but unlike some, its not uncomfortably offensive, its laugh out loud offensive. If you think he's crude on Mock the Week, thats a mild chedder compared to the stilton that rears its head at times during the DVD. His observations are brilliant, he takes fairly mundane news stories and turns them into amazing one-liners.

He's not to everyone's taste - if you're looking for family humour, steer clear of this and look at Michael McIntyre or Dara O'Briain (Or better still, make sure the kids are asleep before you watch it). But I still think the guy is a genius. Forget the "Mock The Week - repetition" rubbish. Sure there are jokes you'll remember - but Frankie is entitled to re-use his material as he sees fit - and it sure doesn't take away from the brilliance of this DVD.
on 25 May 2015
Hilarious dvd. Different content to other dvds he has produced. Very offensive, exactly what you expect from frankie, not one to watch with parents but then again what frankie boyle dvd is.. A good purchase if youre a frankie fan
I'm a fan of stand up comedy and have enjoyed Frankie's wicked wit on `Mock The Week' so I was looking forward to seeing some of his uncensored stuff on this `near the knuckle' DVD. Boyle spends an awful lot of time interacting with the audience and taking the mickey out of them in a fairly cruel manner. There's loads of swearing, but that is to be expected of a certificate 18 DVD. Material wise, most of it has been heard before on television, which was always the reason a number of comics preferred not to grace the box. I did find myself laughing out loud at several bits but generally it went on too long and 90 minutes is a little too much of Boyle as he grates a little towards the end. There are a few extras: namely a behind the scenes bit on Boyle's UK tour and sketches extracted from the little-known BBC3 comedy show `Rush Hour'.
on 12 February 2014
So funny, I laughed all the way through. Having watch Frankie Boyle live and he fell flat on his face. This confirms my friend's experience, this video shows all the best takes and funniest moments and it is hilarious.
on 21 March 2014
Frankie Boyle isn't everyones cup of tea as a comedian but i think he is hilarious he tells it like it is to the very bones so if raw vulgar humour isn't what you like then stay away but if it is then i can't recommend him enough
on 12 November 2008
I think Frankie Boyle is amazing on Mock the Week and is definately one of the main reasons I watch the show - he's cutting edge and fearless wit never fails to shock and/or amuse and this DVD is no different. His new material is hilarious, combining topical observations with his general dislike of most things in society. The DVD is interspersed with some of the stuff you may have seen on Mock the Week slightly repackaged, but there's plenty of gaps in between and its his delivery that makes it once again funny.

One of the highlights of the DVD is the parts where he interacts with the audience - his reputation as a 'doesn't hold back comedian' precedes him, and the audience look permantly on edge as to whether he is going to prey on them and it is pure brilliance to watch the way he diligently and comically tortures a wide variety of people, from the 'big fellers' to the ones with boring jobs. No one is safe.

Although he is without a doubt a shocking and quite ruthless comedian, there is a softer side beneath the sarcastic veneer that can be seen (only briefly, mind) when mentioning his children and elderly people, and occasionally in the extras.

This would be a brilliant addition to anyone's comedy collection, whether you are a FB fan already or you have only just briefly heard him mentioned and want to check out the Scottish master at work - but newcomers beware, his style of comedy is harsh and makes comparable comedy performers seem quite tame.