on 28 February 2009
I bought this on the off chance and it turned out to be a very flexible miniature tripod. It is a little larger than I anticipated, but still fairly compact.

The instructions are useless and it took me a little while to discover its curiously good features.

- To lock and unlock the extending legs, twist clockwise until they click.
- To unlock the extending foam covered 'hand grip'/extender, twist each section anti-clockwise. Can be done in one move for all three sections it extends by
- Twist it clockwise to lock it
- At the top of the tripod legs is a large screw that is knurled and about 3cm in diameter. Unscrewing (anticlockwise) this allows the legs to spread further. Screwing it clockwise reduces the spread of the legs
- The camera can mount directly on the tripod legs without the head, but you lose some of the angle control by not taking it from the telescopic handle and putting that on the leg section

All in all pretty good for a pocket tripod.
on 31 May 2009
An excellent product for quick recording. I've used it a number of times as a teacher for recording music in class on the spur of the moment. It takes about 2 minutes for me to screw my digital recorder (Zoom H2) to the base or extended arm and set up ready to record. The only down side to it is that at full extension of legs and arm it is slightly unstable. It is also light-weight so I don't recommend using anything heavier than my recording device. The plus side is the variety of things it can be used for. A definite recommend for quick and easy general work.
on 3 October 2012
I read some reviews and was prepared for disappointment. It's good! Small enough to carry in a pocket, and offers new photo opportunities with a 3 feet lightweight extension for your arm. Quick to extend and lock, it takes a while to understand how the legs unlock, just play with it patiently for a while. If you like mechanical devices you'll appreciate it. Obviously too limp wristed to hold an SLR, it's fine for a compact.
review image
on 17 February 2012
I bought this to take with me on a snowboarding holiday. I've also got a decent-size tripod (too big and bulky to take away) and a Joby mini gorillapod (good but not versatile enough). I wanted something to hold my ContourGPS for various shots.

This little tripod is superb. It's well-constructed and is basically in three parts: a tripod with extendable legs and an adjuster ring to hold the legs at a set width, a hand-held monopod which extends and locks easily and has a foam grip section, and a ball-joint head unit. Each of the three units has a standard-threaded screw on the top, so you can combine them as you like.

I used the tripod alone, legs wide and low and taped to a car dashboard, for a time-lapse journey shot. With the ball head on top we used it for static shots filming at the side of a jump; I used the monopod, extended, with the ball head, for "self-shooting", pointed at my face while snowboarding. And with all three units screwed together, tripod legs and monopod extended fully, the whole setup reaches over a metre high so was setup on a table to film a room at around head-height. The tripod was stable and sturdy each time.

The only criticisms I can think of are _very_ minor ones. For some reason the domed ring section under the screw thread of the tripod occasionally came loose; this wasn't a problem as it pressed back into place. Also, I'd be wary of mounting heavy cameras like dSLRs on the ball head; the rest of the tripod seems sturdy enough but I'd guess you'd have to tighten the fixing screw on the ball head very tight to hold a heavy camera in place, which could give durability problems. As we only used mini POV cameras and a Canon Powershot-style camera, this wasn't a problem.

I've given this tripod five stars because it's not only well thought-out and well-made, making it very versatile, but at not much over £10 it's incredible value. I would have been happy to pay £30-40 if I'd known how good it was.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 9 January 2013
Bought this to mount an Edirol R09HR digital recorder on... and for that purpose, it's excellent (and considerably better quality than the tiny plastic Edirol-branded one that I got which lasted all of literally two days).

Generally, it feels pretty solid and of decent quality... with the exception of anything on it that 'telescopes' (main monopod/extender tube and the legs) which feel a little bit scratchy and loose in operation, but they all do up tight enough so not a real issue. The ball joint also feels reasonably solid but has quite a small wing-bolt to tighten it up with... and you do get the feeling that you shouldn't give it too much work to do.

Probably worth noting that it comes with absolutely no instructions... but is easy enough to figure out.

All in all, a versatile mini tripod (for light duties I'd suggest) and excellent value. Recommended.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 2 September 2013
Not something I would recommend for a heavy DSLR, but certainly a must for lighter digital cameras with standard tripod screw hole - no idea what the technical term is!

Tripod legs simply pull out and self lock into place, then firm push to close up again. A collar above the legs adjusts the spread width of the legs. The telescopic tube can be attached to the tripod to add some height and you have a funky looking tripod which is fairly stable.

The telescopic tube takes a little getting used to (twist and pull to extend, twist again to lock). The camera screw plate can be angled to look down the tube, so you can hold it whist having the camera looking at you. Great for pictures of couples where you don't have a 3rd person to take the picture for you (timer needed). Also good if you need to add some height to your camera to get above a crowd- again with timer

Lightweight and doesn't take up a great deal of space in a bag. I bought this when it was 10GBP which I thought was a bargain. The current price of nearly 13GBP is still a good buy.
on 9 January 2013
This is a great product because it allows a lot of varieties of small to medium height tripods while compacting down to a really small convenient size. First test was with a Cannon 550D Rebel T2i: the Telescopic Tube (sometimes referred to as an extendable Grenade Grip) can support the weight of the 550D Rebel T2i body and really light lenses but if you use a medium to heavy lens then it starts to become unstable and wobbly so that is the limit of what it will take. However, for GoPro's, compact cameras, microphones ect it works great.
Of special note is the excellent table-top tripod. I have gone through a lot of different brands and designs of these, some of them got lost, some were flimsily made and broke but this one is a keeper. Compared to many variations of this product this feels heavy duty, it's thicker, sturdier and more durable. This is the perfect Table-Top Tripod for DSLR's and heavier cameras, also it looks pretty cool and professional compared to some cheaper models. Delivery was great, the price is excellent and the product is a full five star.
on 23 July 2012
After using this tripod twice, the end that has the female thread on the extension (Telescopic) tube came off in my hands. This end cap seems to have been poorly glued in place. As I won't to keep the unit, I will have to Araldite it, together with some small self tapping screws to re-fix. I am of course wondering what else will fall apart.

I foolishly thought that Hama was a trusted manufacture, silly me. But, maybe this is a one-off? I will never know. As I now have bought the unit I will make it into something sturdy, even if it means I have to weld it together. It does look the part and felt OK, until it feel apart. The suppliers were prompt in sending it. I really can't be bothered to return it as I will make it good.

I have quantity two, 3mm stainless steel screws, holding the threaded portion to the aluminium extrusion together with some araldite. Maybe you will have to do something similar.
on 8 April 2015
The one star is to get your attention (as there are so many reviews).
Hope the moderators understand this approach.

Overall, excellent. Really versatile, compact, light.

The telescopic tube attaches to the base via a 1/4" female thread. That is in a lump of aluminum that is separate from the tube. The two metal parts are glued together. Today, I noticed some give in the whole thing, and it turns out that joint failed.

The bung and the tube separated. They now need counseling.

To fix it, you need an anodized aluminum-to-anodized aluminum glue joint.

I've just fixed mine using a LOT of Superglue - all surfaces, not just a single drop.

Seems to be working, but you do need to be aware of this weak point.

Otherwise, superb piece of kit.

Best uses?
Extend the legs fully and very low to get an excellent plonk-where-you-like stable tripod.
Extend one leg to tuck under your forearm, and extend another as a steadying rod. Instant steady cam rig :-)

So, one-star for the single point of failure you need to be aware of.

The final solution?

To really fix this point, drill a hole through the side of the tube and into the bung that joins with the 1/4" screw on the base.
Fit a self-tapping screw.
Do this three times if paranoid.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 November 2012
The tripod itself is very good the telescopic tube is also very useful. However the reason for only 2 stars is the poor quality of the ball head it was always a bit loose but now after a few uses it has stopped gripping the ball even when the screw is fully tightened, I have ordered another tripod (Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod) and the heads should be inter-changable, if this works all will be well and and I shall have a second slightly larger tripod, just so long as the ball head of my new one works?