on 4 May 2009
I bought the York Handgrips for my dad who suffers from MS, as his hands feel numb at times he feels that excercising them helps them and this product does the trick.

He uses them every day now and say's that his hands are definately a lot stronger than before.
22 comments20 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 March 2010
Happy with the product. But more info on the strength needed to use them , other than 'strong" would be better.
Bought as an excercisor for strengthening movement following hand injury, on advice by physiotherapist. Too strong to use initially.
on 28 June 2007
This product is an inexpensive hand grip that does the job it's designed to do although the ergonomics (how it fits on hand) is not great.

Great value for money.

GOOD:

Cheap;

Durable;

Does the job.

BAD:

Ergonomics.
on 9 December 2012
Definitely helping to strengthen my arthritic wrist and hand. I usually squeeze and repeat about fifty times and then hold closed for a count of fifty. Use once or twice a day.
on 21 March 2009
I've no idea if my grip strength is improving but these are fairly comfortable. It's quite annoying how these are already making a squeaky sound when I use them after just 2 weeks. My plan was just just use them when watching tv but now they squeak it makes it quite annoying. But they are fairly comfortable and I didn't get any bruising like other people complain about with other hand grip products.
VINE VOICEon 22 June 2007
There's nothing special about this set of handgrips, which pretty much sums up the York range in general. As the other reviewer has said, you get what you pay for: the grip is slightly uncomfortable and they're not the most durable when compared to better (and more expensive) products on the market. But hey, they're under a fiver and they definitely have had an effect. After a week, I felt an appreciable extra strength in my forearms and hands so this represents good value for money.

Well worth a purchase, especially if you just want a set as an addition to your existing weight routine.
on 27 May 2007
I have only had these for 3 days now, but I thought I would my share opinion on them for anyone that is thinking of buying this product. I will do a follow up review later at some point if I change my mind on them.

Firstly I'm kind of gutted that amazon reduced the price by a quid a day after I ordered them. You do get what you pay for, I mean they are only £4 now so don't expect anything amazing. Even so, they are relatively effective, as far as I can tell so far, at toning up your forearms and strengthening your grip. A problem would be that they are slightly uncomfortable to use, and get some getting use to. Although, this may be exaggerated slightly in that I don't have very big hands. They are useful because the hand grips add a bit of variety to my workout, especially since I play racket sports and need a strong forearm.

There are better hand grips on the market, but the york one's are cheap and relatively effective. The only problems I can foresee are that the resistance in the grips may weaken over time and the actual grips on them is already slightly discoloured.

Hope this was useful.
11 comment35 of 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 July 2009
I bought these as my first pair of handgrips so they were a little difficult for me at first. However, after a few days they were a bit easier to use. I don't think this will be solely due to muscle build-up but more because they seemed to slacken off a bit. Now I find them the perfect strength.
on 20 November 2013
The York Strong Hand Grips does definitiely to what the say.... and they really are very strong which makes them a little hard to use, and as a result of that are rather uncomfortable for me. On the plus side they did send the item very quickly.
on 31 May 2015
When first recieved they were really stiff and hard use. After a day or two it became easier to use because it weakened. Then only four days later they both start making an annoying squeak sound when squeezed. Can't use while watching TV or an online video because they are too loud, even through headphones. Wouldn't really recommend for the £6 price tag only 6 days later they are more or less unusable.

UPDATE:
A few days after writing this review I've realised that the handgrips have weakened so much that my younger brother of 13 years can use them easily. Absolutely no point buying these. They become useless after a few days.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse