Colour: Black|Change

Maglite have been around for over 35 years now and still going relatively strong. The use of LED bulbs in their torches is very welcome! However their late implementation of this technology has most probably meant that Maglite lost part of its market-share. The competiton is stiff, with booming Chinese manufacturers producing very bright and cheap Cree LED torches (Ultrafire, Trustfire .... imitations of the market leader in quality "Surefire") Yet there is no doubt that Maglite uses far superior quality aluminium. Manufacturers using even superior materials than Maglite sell for over twice the price.

Now to the Maglite ST3D016. This torch is enormous, measuring nearly 13 inches or 32cm in length, with 13cm grip circumference and weighing up to nearly 800 grams(batteries included)! So I guess you get the idea when I say "dual purpose" in the title. I do not condone violence by any means, yet it makes for a great deterrent :) Having one in your car, just in case, is not a bad idea.

What I like:
• Robust build quality
• Bright light and great battery life
• Beam can be adjusted from wide to narrow, thus allowing for longer reach
• Even though heavy, the weight is well distributed
• Water resistant
• Price

If you are on the lookout for a quality torch, which doubles as a deterrent (after all we generally use torches at night), than you cannot go wrong with the Maglite. Highly recommended.
on 21 November 2009
Other reviews said it was also good for clonking an assailant, now I know what they mean.
Solid, weighty and nice and bright.
on 30 June 2013
Maglites have always impressed me with their quality, durability and great luminosity. I purchased this particular model after being recommended by a friend (who incidentally upgraded his using the LED upgrade kit). Once I saw this one come with the LED already built in, I didn't hesitate to buy it. The torch has a nice balance to it and has a very impressive brightness, perfect for camping trips and digging out those lost tools which are lurking in the darkest corner of the garden shed.

The use of LEDs in the torch allows for a very impressive lumen rating as well as provide much better battery life in comparison to a standard filament bulb found in the older models. This torch has served me well for the past 2-3 years and I'm sure it will continue to for many, many years to come without a doubt. My only niggle is the size and weight of the object in comparison to some smaller torches available on the market nowadays. I've since purchased a LED Lenser torch, which admittedly are a little pricier, but for the sheer reduction in size and weight without the sacrifice of brightness are fantastic.

Overall I don't think you can go wrong purchasing this torch. It is fantastically durable, hard to lose, very bright and reasonably priced.
on 26 July 2015
I had to replace a Maglite that I thought would last forever. However, the Duracell batteries leaked and could not be shifted. Duracells leaked. I thought they were guaranteed leakproof. Maybe in the past, but not now. Guarantee quietly dropped by Duracell. Well, you wouldn't want to shout about it from the rooftops, would you? I just did, but I'm not Duracell and now I know there are other makers who do guarantee.

Torch is great. Very powerful indeed.
on 26 March 2014
Maglite torches are one of the best you can buy for price, great range, durability and battery life, LED bulb excellent , very bright.
on 12 February 2009
Having owned a number of different torches of this type I am impressed with the build quality and materials used. The LED is incredibly bright and focusing from flood to spot is made easy, due to the textured focus ring which gives good grip even when your hands are cold and wet.

Great product and at less than £25.00 you can't beat it.
55 comments|33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 September 2011
Try any light from 4Sevens, Armytek, Eagletac, Fenix, Jetbeam, Klarus, Nitecore, Olight, Peak, Thrunite, Wolf Eyes, Zebralight and many others and you will realise just how unnecessarily large, heavy, poorly anodised and dim Maglites are. If you want a budget option then think about Solarforce or many other budget options like them.

Basically, all of the manufacturers listed above, and many others make a range of lights that are:

Brighter
Use higher grade, thicker Aluminium
Use a range of more efficient batteries (lithium-ion, AAA, AA, 18650 etc)
Have HA-III hard anodizing (Mag is type II, so will scratch up easily)
Have longer runtimes (3 x 18650 batteries would give you 83% more power, and they are smaller and lighter)
Have regulated output (Mag ouput will drop off quickly, test show a 40% drop in the first ten minutes!)
Have metal reflectors (Mag use plastic)
Have glass lenses (Mag use plastic, they scratch easily)
Have neater beams (Mag beam looks a bit wonky)
Have a host of modes, including SOS, strobe etc (No modes with this thing, just on and off!)

This torch is 313 mm long, 57 mm across weighs a whopping 856g without batteries!

There are other problems I found with all my D cell maglites too. The rubber boot cover that is over the button WILL come off and get lost, it is just a matter of time. The threads are not great and are not square cut. The light is not waterproof, so the lens can easily fog up and if submerged will let in water.

The use of Alkaline batteries means you cannot leave the cells in the light when in storage, as they will leak and ruin the torch. D cell re-chargeable batteries and charger are very hard to come by now, so you have little option.

"But wait, there are lots of good reviews on here all 5 stars, so why should I believe you?" I hear you ask. Well, don't. Try a Google search and find out for yourself what else is out there before you spend your hard-earned on a Maglite.

I wasted years using them, because I did not know any better. I am a serving Police Officer and have a lot of experience in using Maglites in actual duty, as well as many modern alternatives. Very few Police officers carry Maglites anymore, for good reason.
3131 comments|117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 April 2016
It's a good torch. I'm not sure how long it will survive, as the other (smaller) Maglites I've bought in the last two years have lost much of their anodizing and are looking quite tatty. Somehow I don't think Maglites are made in the USA anymore...
I bought it to replace a 2 x D cell Maglite with a conventional bulb and I can say that lighting wise, this 3 x D cell LED version is streets ahead. One is able to turn the head until the 'black hole' in the centre of the light spread disappears, and the LED light is bright and white, not yellow and dim like the older model with the conventional bulb.
on 29 April 2015
Identical in every way to my really old 2x D cell Maglite (but longer, of course!) but with LED bulb. Solid, heavy, nicely machined aluminium with a quality feel. The torch is really bright and the beam can be focused really well. Difficult to say how the batteries will last as I've not had it long enough... but I'm sure it will be much better than my old Maglite! That said, rather than pension the old one off I bought an LED upgrade bulb (about £15 from Amazon) and while it's not as bright as the new one (2x D cell v. 3x D cell) it's still pretty good. Two big Maglites... luxury!
on 21 May 2016
This is an absolute beast of a torch, an all time favorite! Owned Mag's for years and loved great build. Always was a pain with bulbs going and the batteries not lasting particularly long, but with an LED, it just seems to go on forever! Had it months now and use it everyday and haven't had to change batteries once. The LED is crazy bright with the same awesome Mag build quality. This is an amazing torch, I certainly would never buy anything different. Sure there are smaller and brighter lights on the market, but with this build, this is in my view the best torch available.