Format: DVD|Change

on 14 October 2009
fantastic collection that i discovered quite accidently at amazon. Brings back a lot of childhood memories of having to wait to see one episode per week, watching reruns during the week and constantly wondering and discussing with friends what will dastardly be upto the next time.

Quite surprised at the good quality of the video ... ok its not high def or anything, but still good enough.

And a fantastic price as well !
on 3 January 2011
I absolutely loved Wacky Races as a boy and this has bought back loads of great memories but it's only when I watch them again now as an adult that I realise I'm watching the same thing every episode! It doesn't detract from what was a great cartoon though, the Anthill Mob are, if anything, even funnier than they were nearly 40 years ago, Dick Dastardly and Muttley are brilliant, all of them are just great. Buy it, you won't be disappointed and neither will your kids!
This classic Hanna-Barbera animated series is one of my favourite childhood memories. "Wacky Races" could also have been titled "The Misadventures Of Dick Dastardly", as the villainous, cheating Dick Dastardly (was I the only youngster who always wanted him to win?) embarked on an unrelenting cycle of failed attempts to win at least one race, aided by that lovable, snickering pooch, Muttley.
Were there any other schoolboys out there, like me, who envied racing car driver Peter Perfect, who was lucky enough to be on hand to offer assistance to that lovely damsel in distress, Penelope Pitstop?
An oddball collection of weird and comical characters line up to face the fiendishly devised plans of the delightfully mischievous Mr Dastardly.

This 3-disc boxset features the complete collection of thirty-four, 11 minute episodes. Picture and sound quality are OK. Oddly, the spoken/subtitle languages vary from disc to disc, which I have included below.

*VOLUME ONE.
Spoken languages: English, French, Spanish, Swedish.
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, Swedish, Arabic, Greek, Dutch.

*VOLUME TWO.
Spoken languages: English, French, Spanish, Italian, Swedish.
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, Italian, Swedish, Dutch, Hungarian, Portuguese, Greek, Arabic.

*VOLUME THREE.
Spoken languages: English, French, Italian.
Subtitles: English, French, Italian, Dutch.
on 14 July 2013
My mum bought this for me as I felt the need to have an older cartoon series to watch
like this one or the Flintstones. The Wacky Races had been put on TV for a short amount of time a
few years back but rarely came up. I am very impressed with the graphics within
this product. I have only got through Disc 1 of 3 and am very
excited to see what happens next.

All Episodes are inside this set.

(10 Year Old)

* * * * *
TV today can often seem boring and tiresome. I suppose that has always been true in anytime. But from time to time there are programmes that are pure magic that become well remembered classics.
I find that I end up avoiding much of modern TV and watching old programmes on DVD. This show, Wacky Races is a programme that fits that description well.
A classic programme from the late sixties, (that I remember from my childhood) is just great fun to watch again and is actually better than so much of TV today.
It is a series full of remember able characters. It is a great fun series of short animated episodes that are entertaining.
The series is by Hanna Barbara who made a whole load of fun animated classics such as Top Cat, Flintstones and Scooby Doo.
It is loosely based The Great Race. Here 11 teams take part in a wacky race to win the world's wackiest racer.
In car one the Boulder Mobile are cave men Slag Brothers Rock and Gravel.
In car two is the Gruesome Twosome in the Creepy Coup
In car three is Inventor Pat Pending in his Ring a Ding Converter car.
In car four is the Red Max in the Crimson Hay bailer
In car five is girl racer Penelope Pitstop in the Compact Pussycat
In car six is the General, Sgt Blast and Private Pinkley in the Army surplus special
In car seven is Gangster Clyde and the Ant Hill Mob in the Bullet proof Bomb.
In car eight is Luke and Blubber Bear in the Arkansas Chugabug
In car nine is all American Peter Perfect in his Turbo Terrific.
In Car ten is Rufus and Ruffcutt and Sawtooth in the Buzz Wagon.
And in car eleven is villain and appropriately named Dick Dastardly in the Mean Machine whose sole aim is to win at all costs, especially if it means cheating. Thankfully, usually through the ineptitude of his sniggering dog and side kick Muttley.
This show is such great fun and is suitable for all ages. The DVD set contains all the episodes and the only drawback is that each episode is very similar to the next (although different) so it is best to watch no more than two episodes at once.
The picture, colour and sound are all excellent and it is worth getting in a collection of classic TV on DVD.
There were two spin offs from this show. The Perils of Penelope Pitstop and Dastardly and Muttley in their flying machine.
on 27 January 2014
I loved Wacky Races when I was a kid, mumble years ago; so it was with slightly selfish motives that I bought this DVD for my kids.

I'm happy to say that they loved it too; and if that doesn't qualify Wacky Races as timeless, I don't know what does. The gags are all simple slapstick - but they still hold up well after all these years; and there have been some riotous family viewing sessions. Competitive sessions too, as my boys vie with each other in trying to predict the winner. My habit of always backing Dick Dastardly generates a healthy amount of sympathetic scorn.
on 16 January 2012
A brilliant release, all the episodes in chronoligical order. The quality is good, and you get to the gang go at it, racing ahead.
It's brilliant to see the old Hanna-Barbera cartoons being released at long last!

This is set a steal at just under 7 quid!

It can become a bit tedious watching this set from start to finish, I suggest a couple of cartoons at a time :)

All the same, excellent set, and cheers for reading.
on 22 December 2013
Sent for this for our ten year old grandson to watch after I had told him about it. The stories are great and fun to watch. I keep watching it as I remember it from when it was on tv regulary. Our grandson wasn't to keen and gave up with it. I have only given it four stars as the colour is a bit washed out which put our grandson off it. I still like it though and dont mind the colour though.
on 6 August 2013
I bought this because I had been thinking back to some of the cartoons I watched as a child. Wacky Races was always a favourite of mine.

I had forgotten how inventive this series was - some of the ideas and solutions to problems created are excellent. In addition, I had forgotten the brilliant use of alliteration in the "commentary" to the races!

Something I felt as a child is still there, though - that the episodes were intended to be longer, but were cut down quite brutally to a certain length. There are ideas that appear from nowhere and are thrown away without development, when it seems that there should have been more at each side of it.
A three disc dvd set containing all the episodes of classic 1960's cartoon series Wacky Races. Featuring an eclectic group of car drivers in often unusual vehicles, who compete to win the title of world's wackiest racer.

They compete. Dick Dastardly and his sidekick, sniggering hound Muttley, cheat instead. And come to grief in the process.

One of those shows that brings back fond memories of childhood. And creates the same for subsequent generations. Because the programme is very very funny. It proved popular enough that Dastardly and Muttley, Penelope Pitstop and the AntHill Mob all went on to other shows.

There were seventeen episodes. Each featuring two twelve minute long races. The dvd has all the races individually, which is why the box says thirty four episodes. Eleven on two discs, and twelve on the third.

This does appear to have been put together by putting individual releases into one, thus each disc has a different menu screen and different language and subtitle options:

Disc one:

Languages: English, French, Castilian Spanish, Swedish.
Subtitles: English, French, Castilian Spanish, Dutch, Persian, Greek.

Disc two:

Languages: English, French, Italian, Spanish, Swedish.
Subtitles: English, French, Castilian Spanish, Italian, Swedish, Dutch, Hungarian, Portuguese.

Disc three:

Languages: English, French, Italian.
Subtitles: English, French, Italian, Dutch.

The episodes can be watched individually, or all in a row.

The picture quality hasn't been restored, but it's perfectly viewable.

There no extras. But it's a big complete collection of a classic cartoon. So buy it. It is as good as you remembered. And it will create great new memories as well.