Price:£16.50+ Free shipping

on 21 June 2013
As a relative new comer, I am still learning the pro's & con's of photography. My particular interest is wildlife.birds. To achieve this I tend to use a 300mm lens most of the time. One of the recommendations on improving your shots that keeps coming up in books and articles is the use of tripods and monopods to provide stability and reduce 'camera shake'. I have a 'Hama' tripod which I am very impressed with, but it can sometimes be a bit too bulky if I am just out opportunistically taking photos in the field, so I decided to try a monopod. After some research and comparing prices and reviews the Hama Star 78 came out tops, bearing in mind that I didn't want to pay a lot of money for something I was not familiar with. I was not disappointed. This item has proved to be extremely good value. It feels sturdy, the clips make extending/reducing the length very simple, and it telescopes down to make it easy to cart about in the very good carrying case provided. The quality of my shots have improved due to the extra stability of using a monopod, which is exactly the result I wanted. I would recommend this product.
on 16 March 2011
I bought this monopod not really expecting much but figured it was a cheap and cheerful option for being out and about with the camera without the desire to carry a tripod around.

I was pleasantly surprised. The monopod is very solid and has a nice sponge hand grip for comfort when holding. It is very quick to open up and close down to put away which is exactly what I wanted as an alternative to a tripod.

The clasps to keep the leg extensions extended or closed are plastic and snap open and closed so am not sure about the durability of them long term. The head is all plastic and gives me a similar concern.

The quick release plate is great and you can leave it attached to the bottom of your camera and just lock it into place on the top of the monopod when you need it. The head is not suitable for a heavy dSLR though as the head does bend a bit. If i use my 1000d with a 75-300 lens on then it is OK. However if I add my flash into the picture then it is too much weight for the head ideally. I am not saying it is not usable but it does seem overloaded.

When fully extended the monopod is really tall! Perfect for me as I am 6'1" and it is still way above my eye level!

If you are looking for a professional use monopod then this is not the answer but for the price and if your gear is not too heave then it is ideal so go buy one!
on 19 November 2010
As soon as I connected my 7D to this I could see why it was so cheap! The leg itself is nice but the head! Oh dear..... VERY cheap and nasty! It's might be fine for lighter units but for something substantial forget it, it bends and flexes at the hinge under the weight and is utterly useless! No free lunch for me :o(
on 11 March 2010
I have a Hama tripod with the detachable camera attachment and so it made sense to buy this monopod.The quality is very good for the price.
For those who say that the handle gets in the way, I'm not being clever but the fitting allows for 4 different angles of connection with the handle at either the front, rear and left or right.
I am 6ft tall and this monopod opens longer than I need when stood on level ground.
I am very happy with it and would recommend it for those on a budget.
on 10 August 2009
It's only £12 so what do you expect?

The Aluminium tubes are good quality and the base does have a ball/socket end to help get a secure footing and to help with panning.

The mount is all plastic and isn't particularily attractive but functions adequately (also has a level on it) - however the handle always gets in the way so a different mount would be better.

As with anything else "Made in China" these days it has that awful epoxy resin/glue smell to it - yuk!
on 28 July 2010
Excellent value for money, if you take pictures for a living you would want to spent more, but for the keen 'slightly better than just a snapshot' like me its OK. Its also very light weight which is good if, like me, you might need to carry it all day. Probably will not last forever...but then neither will I!
on 5 March 2010
Hama 78 mono, it is as good as it says it is, the handle is mounted on the left hand side of the head assembly which leaves your right hand for the camera control, it seems to extend forever so if you need to use it on the top of a bank or if you are stood on a wall this is the one.

For the price it would be hard to beat it, it's lightweight and easy to carry in the bag provided the only thing I would like is a quick fit foot rest as a Hama extra but the quick fit camera mount is good and with nomal use (not used as a walking stick) it will last just as well as some of the more highly priced items available.
on 15 October 2011
i use telephoto lens all the time ,sometimes when the light is low i need to select a slower shutter speed than i would like to so the solution is to use a tripod.tripods tend to be a bit heavy the monopod is brilliant for the job.
on 24 May 2011
A good, solid feeling monopod. For the money you can't really worth go wrong. The quick release plate is useful.

The only drawback with this style of monopod, or even similar tripods, is the traditional style panning handle is more suited to use with camcorders and as such can make it awkward for photographers to comfortably use their cameras viewfinder as it sticks out too far. Not a problem if using it with compact digital cameras or if you have time to use your dslr's "live view" mode or the equivalent.

For this reason i ordered a manfrotto monopod with a tilt and pan friction control head. Being specifically designed for use with cameras all of the tilt, pan etc handles are much shorter and don't get in the way.

so if you're on a tight budget or just want an inexpensive back up then this will do you just fine, if you have got the cash i'd recommend any of the manfrotto range.
on 19 August 2008
This product seemed to be a bargain at just over £15, so I snapped one up. But it was too good to be true.

When it was delivered, upon closer inspection, I found this product to be very poorly made.

The release catches on the leg were poorly manufactured as was the monopod head. The handle was on the left hand side of the head and made it hard to use.

Although designed to be small and light, this just felt flimsy and fragile. The only redeeming feature was the very comfortable grip under the head, suitable when using for long periods of time.
33 comments|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse