4.3 out of 5 stars2,972

on 24 November 2006
Everyone giving these phones a 5 star rating is quite right. I really wanted a pair of Sennheiser headphones and thought I'd give the HD201 model a try. For the price, I expected something fairly mediocre. How wrong can you be?

The sound quality is absolutely outstanding. If I'd paid £100 for these, I'd have been happy. I'm no DJ or sound expert, but still cannot believe the clarity and rich sound. I'm not convinced the bass is as deep as some have said and I think it does need a little boost from an amp, but the phones handle it with no distortion. After buying these, I listened to various genres of music (from classical to trance) and wasn't disappointed with any. I then left them connected overnight with a playlist of the different music styles to bed them in. It does make a huge difference to the sound and is worth the effort.

No wonder Sennheiser have such a good reputation! Don't be fooled by the price of these, they look and sound a lot more expensive!!
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 December 2013
I honestly don't know what some people are doing with their headphones to have them break within a few weeks. Nor can I comprehend what they consider "good sound quality". I mean I'm just baffled as to what more you could ask for at this price. I've had them for around 2 years now without any faults and I can easily sit with them on all day without a comfort issues. This is on top of wearing glasses. The band has only now just started to lose its tension, such that they will slip off my head if I'm too vigorous, but they never pinched or hurt my ears, not even when they were brand new.

I've never had any distortion through them, as lower scoring reviews have suggested, even when pushing volume and whatever else to max. Honestly if you don't think you can get decent volume or sound quality from these then you're being far too picky, are very much in the wrong price bracket for your needs or are listening to your music far, far too loud.

Similarly, if they are breaking within a few weeks then you are either seriously mistreating them, they've been damaged in the post or you have received a faulty product. Mine have suffered numerous drops and prangs, and I've run over the cable with my desk chair more than I care to admit. They still perform flawlessly. Unfortunately, that same cable is the only reason it doesn't get 5 stars. Occasionally I've been very thankful that it's so long but when using them while on the PC or to watch TV late at night you have alot of extra cable trailing across the floor. And of course it will get inexplicably tangled in whatever it can (as cables do) unless you tie it up.

I have had nothing but a positive experience with these and would buy another pair in a heartbeat. Again, for the price, these are simply an amazing pair of headphones. The best I have ever owned. They more than deliver for their cost and I can't help but feel the negative reviewers have been too quick to judge or have somewhat unrealistic expectations/standards for sound quality.
on 17 October 2006
These headphones sound great with my ipod and my macbook, and has superb clarity, treble and bass. I recently bought the sony MDR-V300 Headphones and these are way better! The sound is way clearer, compared to the sony's which have way too much bass in my opinion. Also these are much more comfortable than the sony for extended periods of time...Solid purchase!!!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 March 2006
These are probably the best cans in the WORLD for under £20. They are balanced, have great bass response, strong mids and sparkling highs. Although a little on the bright side for some, they do offer superb sound reproduction at this price. They are also sealed, and have a low impedance (32ohm), making them ideal for portable use. (rember to break them in)
>Loud (32ohm) and sealed shutting out outside sound and sealing your music in.
>They are VERY light AND comfortable
>Unrivalled sound quality at this price point
>If you are one of the anti-Grado fashion-esque folk then these headphones are stunners, the look COOL and expensive.
> The cable doesnt have an uptake and is quite long, so youll need a hairband or elastic band to keep the 3m cable under control.
>For the lazy hermits among you, there is no volume control, though i dont really see this as a disadvantage (they damage sound quality)
>They will make you/your teenager yearn for better sounding phones and when your kid starts begging you for the Senn HD650s dont complain.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 July 2011
Having read many favourable reviews about the Sennheiser HD201 headphones I decided to buy a pair. Having heard that new phones need to be"run in" like speakers before they give of their best performance I decided to connect them up to my Mac and put iTunes onto random play overnight to get them really well loosened up before giving them a good listening test. My listening test the following day revealed the Sennheisers to be among the best phones I have ever listened to, having very well defined and tuneful bass,very clear and relatively uncoloured midrange and sweet if slightly muted treble. They are also pretty light and comfortable to wear. So ticking all the boxes it has got to make them a good buy at such a reasonable price,yes,BUT................The box they come in is emblazened with a sticker-iPod compatable,which to be honest is a pretty marginal statement. Yes if you connect an iPod you will get sound out of the phones,but not much,the phones have a quoted impedance of 32ohms which unfortunately has caused them to have quite low sensitivity,not a problem if you use the output from a HiFi amp or CD Player or even the output from a Mac or PC, but iPods or MP3 players are fairly low output so don't suit the phones well. My iPod shuffle has to be turned up full and then it is only barely loud enough with these phones with modern recordings which have been recorded up to the digital loudness maximum (0db),some of my older music from the 70's and 80's which was recorded at a much lower level just will not play loud enough. If the low sensitivity is not a problem then I don't think you can beat these phones at their price point.
on 21 July 2012
Seriously, if you are thinking about spending £40 on a pair of headphones because you think you'll get better quality than these... well don't bother. I have owned loads of different pairs of 'general use' budget over-ear headphones in the last 10 years, from pretty much all of the main brands, and these are better than all of them by a long way. I use them for general recording and studio work (although I do have an expensive set for mixing), watching movies on the train, and listening to music on the move. The quality of audio is pretty much the same across all Sennheiser headphones whether you buy high end or low end... it is always crisp, clear and well balanced. I generally use EQ with these phones as although there is a decent amount of bass, the overall quality can be enhanced with a little bit of work.

Overall, I thoroughly recommend these for anyone on a budget, for general music use, movies or gaming. You'll need to wear them in a bit as they do feel tight at first, but only a few days and they'll be snug and comfortable.
on 16 November 2014
Sound Is On Point.
review image
on 25 July 2006
If you needed more positive feedback, then here it is. These are very comfortable to wear - light and adjustable. Sound reproduction is excellent. Listening to many different genres, and at reasonable volumes; bass is well defined, trebles don't sound too bright, and the midrange is superb. Depending on your needs the very long cable is a benefit. The best value for money I have spent on anything for quite some time. I haven't tried more expensive headphones, so I can't make a comparison, but how much better can sound reproduction get per pound? Not much I think.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 January 2008
FACT - These headphones are a BARGAIN price. Even if you do buy a set and decide you dont like them, hell, it's only pretty much a tenner....

FACT - These headphones are QUIET. I have to pretty much double the volume of anything I plug them into compared to my other 'phones... BUT... they are selaed, closed back headphones so DO cut out background noise at lower volumes....

FACT - The sound quality is VERY GOOD. If you want to get near audiophile-quality from your personal music player or home stereo then these 'phones will definately do them justice.

FACT - There is NO point buying £150+ true audiophile headphones unless you have a pretty decent 24bit hifi system / headphone amplifier to drive them... if you just have some £150 stereo then these will more than suffice.

FACT - These headphones LACK POUNDING BASS. If you want ear-shaking bass from your tunes perhaps these 'phones arent for you... BUT... some may argue poudning bass would just mask the true quality of the music coming out of these headphones so is better without
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 August 2007
I run a small recording studio and needed extra/spare headphones in case of any unexpected breakages or unexpeceted extra musicians. I bought these cos they were so cheap and the reviews at were so positive. I expected at best just to not hate them, but Im actually astounded by them. For headphones that cost me £10, these are absolutely unbelievable.
Naturally they can't compare to £50+ sets out there, but how close they come is frightening. They're extremely light and comfortable, the mids dont honk like all other cheaper sets, and theres an evenness to the tone that suits a studios needs really well. I had an extremely talented pianist wear them all day in a very long session and he made no comment. He just never guessed that they were imposters in a professional environment.
The only quibble you could make is that they're a little quiet, so they need cranking, but me - I instantly ordered another set.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse