on 21 March 2011
My son aged 9 has Aspergers and finds timing difficult. We tried egg-timers but he forgets to look at them or doesn't notice when they've run out. The local Autism group suggested the Time Tracker. All I can say is Wow!! This has exceeded all my expectations. It's really helped him with so many things. EG If he's playing his DS before school, he knows he has to save the game once its gone yellow, but can keep playing till the light changes to red, then has to get his shoes on before the buzzer goes off. Similarly for something he doesn't want to do, e.g. homework, he can see once it gets to yellow he hasn't got too much longer to go. It provides a clear visual indication that he can relate to, as it's like traffic lights! This is something that words alone, clock faces, digital displays or sand timers don't seem able to provide for him. It's big enough and bright enough to catch his attention and there is always the option of a sound to accompany the change from green/yellow or yellow/red. We now use it for everything from making sure he brushes his teeth long enough to how much time he's allowed on the computer, to getting dressed for school. In fact all the family use it...we may need to buy more!
The kids love the different range of sounds and although programming it is not particularly intuitive once you know how to do it it is actually quick and easy. If I could suggest one thing to the company it would be to make a mini version that you can sit on top of a PC or on their desk (about 10cm tall would be great) not to replace this one but just to allow it to fit onto small spaces. Especially if you could program a small one with a specific time then just hit one button to start it.
11 comment42 of 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 September 2009
Purchased this for my Autistic son, best thing i have brought in a longtime, it has totally changed our day to day life for the better and now we would be lost with it, would highly reccommend this to anyone and everyone (actually i already have)such a simple idea, easy to use and so versitile and now a total sanity saver.
0Comment32 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 December 2011
This is a great tool to get a job done in a certain amount of time. Used by all my children
on 27 November 2008
THIS IS AN INVALUABLE TOOL FOR ANY PARENT, BUT PARTICULARLY USEFUL IF YOUR CHILD HAS SPECIAL NEEDS -ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO HAVE DIFFICULTY MOVING ON FROM ONE THING TO THE NEXT.
YOU CAN SET HOW LONG YOU WANT TO TIME AND WITHIN THAT HOW LONG A "WARNING" YOU WANT FOR EACH STAGED COUNT DOWN, AND YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO USE THE NOISEY SIGNAL IF YOUR CHILD CANNOT TOLERATE IT, LIKE MINE.
THE ONLY DOWNSIDE, IF THERE IS ANY, IS THE LIGHTS BEING TOO BRIGHT FOR MY ASD CHILD-BUT THIS CAN EASILY BE FIXED WITH A BIT OF TRANSLUCENT MATERIAL OR SIMPLY TURNING THE LIGHT AWAY FROM THE CHILD SO THEY ONLY SEE THE "GLOW"/"REFLECTION". THIS IS A SUPER INVESTMENT!
11 comment49 of 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 December 2011
I found this item to be very good value for money. My child has severe autism, and this has been especially good for him. We use it for a number of things in his everyday life as he has to know how long every thing he does is going to take. Also it is very durable and can put up with his throwing tantrums. I would recommend this to anyone with any child.
on 29 May 2012
Lets children know at intervals how much longer they have left e.t.c. It can also be set for any length of time..
on 1 June 2011
Pretty simple but it works. Could be cheaper as the functions are pretty basic,
but it's definitely worth having.
on 13 June 2010
Excellent for children who find finishing an activity at a specific time. worked well with my child with ASD. Also good for people who are doing talks
on 31 July 2014
My 3 year old has autism and is a pain to get to bed at night. We've tried several things but without consistent time based, automatic methods we fail time and again.
Having other young children to sort out too we can set this, leave it to run its course and he often now goes to bed without putting up a fight and he even let's us turn off his dvd which was a massive part of the battle.
We even made up a rhyme for when the timer lights the red light we said "red means bed"
It's easy to set, you can manually set how long you want each segment to light or leave it on auto and it will split the total time 80/15/5 % across the 3 lights which is great for when you want the last light to be the one that warns them the time is nearly up.
You can set a sound for when it switches between colours and an end sound.
Very versatile and mine enjoyed helping me set it and understands it's "his timer"
Thoroughly recommend
on 26 June 2011
This product is fantastic!

I bought this product for my son who has ASD, and I wanted to use it as a visual timer for activities and also when he needs time out. And I must say it has certainly enabled me to do this.

My son likes it because he knows exactly when his time is coming to an end, and when time is up he is prepared and doesn't argue with the timer!

Although you have to read the instructions to figure out how to programme it first time, I found this helpful as it has meant that my son can not play with the timer himself.

The product has a volume dial so that you can either have it on silent or anywhere up to loud. Also if the lights are too bright, which is not an issue for my son but could be for some, you could use it turned to face a wall, the lights would illuminate the wall.