4.7 out of 5 stars1,282
Style Name: Steps Baby WalkerChange

on 7 January 2006
This was a lovely gift for my son, he was 5 months and loved to lie down on his mat and kick the buttons, by 6 months he was sitting in front of it unaided and pushing the buttons, by 8 months I would prop it against the sofa and he would climb up the front to stand in front and play with the higher buttons and by 9 months he was pushing it around. Now he is 15 months and he still loves it. He still plays with the buttons and the phone and despite the use it has had it still looks new. I have not yet seen a design better than this in all the baby clubs we go to. This is the best walker on the market.

The wheels don't lock (none do) the idea is to use it for support when cruising and it's not a walker in the sense of the sit in style, so the baby must be quite steady and strong on their feet before attempting to push it along. It must be used with supervision, as not surprisingly the wheels will roll if the child pushes it, I found it quite sturdy.
44 comments246 of 255 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 December 2012
This is a great toy for little one. We purchased this when our little one was 7 1/2 months old. She loved the various activities available on the front panel, and quickly started to use the walker to stand (note: she was already able to stand up by herself whilst holding on to something).

Obviously, the key function of this toy is to help Baby take her first steps. This works wonderfully - on carpet. As other reviewers have pointed out, the wheels slip and don't spin on slick surface (e.g., wooden floors). So when out little one started using the walker to walk (10 months old), its use was limited to carpeted areas of our flat. Worse, when she tried her luck on wooden floors, she lost confidence. Even on carpet, the walker was sometimes too fast for our baby.

Having checked reviews for other walkers, this seems to be a widespread issue with walkers.

Luckily, there is a solution.

I fitted the wheels with "homemade tyres". I put a few elastic bands on each wheel, kept in place by 3 thin strips of duck tape. Obviously, there is no need to ensure the elastic bands sit perfectly flat on the wheels. Quite the opposite actually,
This set up does the trick nicely. The walker's wheels now spin properly on every surface, and our little one can go wherever she wants.
0Comment84 of 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 September 2007
Pros: we bought this baby-walker about 2 weeks ago for our 8 m.o. daughter. she was already standing firmly on her legs and she also was able to move her feet in an attempt to walk, but nothing by herself. since then, she progressed impressively fastly and she now can 'walk' alone ... under a strict surveillance. the toy is just the right height&width.the interactive board is also quite entertaining & she likes lights and buttons, activities are good too with 2 educational modes (music and ABC). easy to handle & carry, it should be used quite often in many situations & independently from the walker.

Cons: nothing really serious... at the beginning it must be used under a strict surveillance as the baby will sooner or later fall (when tired or because of balance). when the baby falls or moves backwards, the toy might be pulled backwards at the same time(would be better if could be weighted on the front) but no risk of getting hurt with it as it's only made of light plastic. there's no way to 'block' the wheels unless we place it against an obstacle. but on the other hand, it's a great exercise to learn balance. so, as long as the baby is not walking firmly, it must be used under a close control.
0Comment95 of 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 May 2006
My son got this at Christmas when he was 9 months - hasn't used it yet as a walker but he loves the activity board on it which can be removed from the walker so its handy to put in the cot for entertainment or to put in the car. The tunes are lively and they don't get too annoying even after the 1000th time on hearing them!
0Comment71 of 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Pro's: It is brightly coloured and interactive. It has been enjoyed by two children now and the telephone attachment has been a great success. My toddler, now she is a little old to use it as a walker spends hours chattering away to Peppa Pig on the the attached phone! Our one year old likes pressing all the buttons and seems to be learning some cause and effect from the product.

Con's: The only big draw back with this walker is the speed at which it takes off with child frantically clinging to it. Either child goes with it when learning to walk and falls flat on face or walker seems to take on a life of its own and shoot forward, leaving bewildered child wobbling precariously for a moment before falling. It is simply to fast for a child who is learning to walk.

Having said that, once the child is a little steadier on their feet but trying to gain confidence and steadiness, this walker is ideal.
This was bought for my son for Christmas by his 81 year old Great Grandmother and her absolutely loves it. We have purchased a couple ourselves for gifts for family members and friends who are expecting this year as the great thing about it is that the front panel comes off of the walker so even a young baby can play with it prior to it being re-set on the front and an older baby using it as a walking aid. The only tiny gripe I have with it is that I wish Vtech had put little brakes on the wheels that you could set so that the walker didn't whizz off when your little one is trying to learn to stand whilst using it. It teaches numbers, colours, animal sounds, shapes and so much more so definitely a worthwhile toy for your little one. Brilliant and would definitely recommend it. Oh almost forgot to add that this is so simple to assemble too and other than inserting the battery no tools are needed:)
on 18 August 2010
I got this for my 7 month old son as an entertainment system and also to help him with walking. It has many features that my little one loves, mainly he uses the front to pull himself up. He plays with the butterfly and cogs most of all, always taking off the telephone whenever I replace it. The music is fun and my son often has a little dance whilst playing it.

The downside of this is the wheels. They move far too easily and at the moment I can't let my little one push it himself even though he is capable of coasting furniture as it moves in front far too quickly. I also find that it would benefit from a lock on the wheels for when the child is playing with the front, I have to have it against the sofa to stop it from moving. I rarely detach the front as the main fun my son has is to use it to stand and it gives it a bit more stability.
on 27 June 2006
We bought this toy for my son's first b-day when he was just starting to walk. It really helped him to quickly develop the confidence to walk unaided. It folds up flat, so we took it away with us often when he was first walking. He's 19mths now and still plays with it -- from tearing around the house with it to playing with the piano/letter keys to dancing to the music. He also can say all the letters and words on the 'piano keys' -- undoubtedly from constant repetition! It also has withstood a great deal of wear & tear and still is in good condition. I highly recommend this toy.
0Comment85 of 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 October 2008
I have just received this product and it is truly amazing - and such good value! The activity centre has 2 settings - musical and educational - there are so many things to do on each setting that it will keep my son amused for ages. The fact that it is a walker as well is such a bonus. My son is only 4 months now but wants to stand already and gets frustrated - this has kept him happy!
on 22 January 2007
Bought this for my 11 month old daughter and she absolutely loves it. She was already cruising the furniture but this has helped her confidence in walking, which she is doing now just a few weeks later. The toy has a great range of sounds and music, and in an English accented voice rather than American like some of the other toys out there. Combines music, numbers and speech for a wide variety of interactive playtimes. Durable and bright, this will provide hours of entertainment for your child - my friend's 2 year old still enjoys playing with it. Highly recommended!
0Comment18 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse