on 27 March 2009
I feel that it is a shame that the other reviewers had problems with this item so decided to write a few instructions. I have had this item (and another older model) for years. Mine came with one recipe on the back of the leaflet that sits on the top of the box when it arrives. I have followed this recipe and baked beautiful shortcake type biscuits. The knack when it comes to pressing them out is to use an UNGREASED non-stick tin. Yes, ungreased is the way to go otherwise it just won't work!

Sorry but this recipe is in american 'cups'

Cookie Recipe

1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
4 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

Preheat oven to 200 deg C. Thoroughly cream butter and sugar. Mix egg, milk, extracts together then add gradually to the butter/sugar mixture. Add the flour and baking powder gradually to make a smooth dough. Do not chill. Place dough into cookie press and press cookies onto UNGREASED non-stick baking sheet. Bake for 6 minutes. Remove cookies carefully with a pallet knife whilst still warm. Cool on rack.

I used my food mixer to beat the butter and sugar then put on my dough hook when i added the flour as it is a stiff (but slightly sticky) dough.

When using the press, press it against the baking tin, pull the handle once until it clicks then lift it away from the tin. The dough shape should stick to the tin. If you grease your tin the dough will not stick and you will have big problems.

Hope this helps!!!
1010 comments|201 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 May 2011
I made 90 cute biscuits in 20 minutes - from getting out the scales, to putting the final batch on the cooling rack. Perfect, elegant shortbread with no rolling and no mess. Gun easily comes apart for washing. AM VERY IMPRESSED. Can't wait to try another recipe - maybe something savoury this time.
review image review image
33 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 March 2010
This works fine. Thanks to the other reviewers describing their technique. I have only made one lot of biscuits with it so far. Nigel Slater pistacho and almond shortbread, I think you can find it in the guardian online if you want to try it. Very nice little biscuits. You do have to touch the thing to the baking parchment and make sure the dough has grabbed hold of it before you lift off, but once you have the technique it is pretty easy. To clean, held it up and under a running tap and the dough that got behind the pressing part washed away ok. I haven 't used it to ice with yet though.

November 2013 i have returned to edit this review. Took the press out today having used maybe four times altogether since buying as it is quite fiddly to do and one has to be in the mood for using it - ithe glue which connects the ratchet lever to the ram has now failed rendering it inusable. i can not recommend this product. There must be better quality biscuit presses out there.....
on 17 June 2011
So let's start with what is good...

1. Storage box - excellent.
2. Nozzle selection - you get 8 stainless steel nozzles - not bad as a starter kit.
3. Biscuit cutters - you get 13 which is probably more than you will need.
4. Assembly - easy and logical - it takes seconds to assemble and disassemble.
5. Cleaning - handwash only but still easy, make sure you release the ratchet (top button) to keep cleaning simple.
6. Usage - can be used one handed (something I struggle to do with icing bags).

So what is not so good...

1. Instruction leaflet - bigger print, bigger pictures of cutters and nozzles would be an improvement. Filling instructions would be great.
2. Filling - needs practice. As with any icing gun you have a limited opening so things can get messy if you try and load it either too quickly or with too big a spoon!
3. No recipe - A biscuit recipe (or two) would be very useful; I had to google "piped biscuit recipe" and then try out a couple to find the right consistency (240g butter, 90g icing sugar, 270g plain flour).
4. Biscuit production needs practice and some cutters work better than others. Some require two or more pumps of the trigger and you need to lift upwards carefully after pumping to ensure you don't smudge the shape. My advice is to have a trial session before you use them in earnest!
5. Robustness - like other reviewers a plastic part of my icing gun broke. It has only had a limited amount of use but sadly the break happened after the guarantee period elapsed. LUCKILY, the leaflet includes the manufacturers details and they are replacing the broken part for me free of charge.

If you are good with an icing bag you may not get on with this gun, but if like me you struggle with bags then I would recommend this set.

One last point, two other sets exist which may be worth a look, Judge Icing Gun and Cookie Kit and Dessert Decorator Pro - if my icing gun breaks a second time I think the latter may be my replacement!

Update - the manufacturer has replaced the broken part - their customer service has been excellent - polite, quick and very helpful!
on 19 February 2010
This is just great. The secret is to use a sticky baking sheet (not a non-stick one), so that the cookies stick to it. Then it's easy, and really great fun. My daughter and I really enjoyed making bags of cookies for her to give out as Christmas presents ... it will be excellent when baked donations are needed at school too. The recipe the other reviewer left works well. We have enjoyed making variations - sticking little chocolate buttons in the middle of some, or jelly tots, or blobs of apricot jam ... good fun.
on 28 November 2012
The wife saw this set on the high street for £33.00, so when I saw the same set on Amazon, I ordered it for Christmas.

Unfortunately, the wife saw it arrive and immediately wanted to play.

It comes in a neat little case with all the bits and pieces shrink wrapped inside. It's well made and the metal centre tube is none stick inside for easy cleaning. In fact it's really easy to clean, it all just twists apart.

Does it work, absolutly. The cookie/buscuit side of it works really well from the recipe posted by another user. In fact the wife is chuffed to bits and I'll weigh 20 stone if she keeps on turning out buscuits. The icing side is a little harder, but with practice, I'm sure it'll become easier. Nevertheless, it is well made, seems durable and I would highly recommend.
on 21 January 2014
I bought one of these because i needed to decorate 140 cupcakes i made for a birthday party, firstly the quality is top notch and it made icing the cakes using butter icing a doddle. it holds enough icing to generously ice 10 to 12 large cupcakes and although the supplied nozzles are a bit on the small size they still work well and produce some great results, i found filling it up quite easy using a desert spoon with not too much mess. cleaning it is easy as the top and nozzle holder just twist off leaving the stainless steel tube for easy cleaning, i have not used the cookie maker discs yet so i can`t comment on them but for icing cakes this is quicker and cleaner than the traditional icing kits that we normally use.
on 25 May 2009
I got this as a gift as I enjoy icing cakes etc. I have tried it for icing with good results. What I am really pleased with is the biscuit making feature - almost foolproof, especially if you follow the directions given by fee in his/her review. I have also found other recipes on the internet. Try searching for 'spritz cookie recipes' or cookie press recipes' as these are the same thing. A really fun gadget if you enjoy baking!
on 3 January 2010
I loved the idea of a cookie press - and this one seemed ideal. I used it the first time shortly after receiving delivery, and after I got into the swing of things found it ridiculously simple. The cookies are a perfect size for little treats or snacking, and look so cute!
I did find the first time that when I changed the shape on the press (I wanted to try a few different ones) I had to press the dough through a few times before it started to stick to the (baking paper-covered rather than greased) cookie sheet and held its shape. However, the second time I used it, with a different cookie dough recipe, it came out properly.
The only issue I have had with the cookie press is that through the info available tells you how to fill and use it, there were no cleaning instructions. The first time I used it I couldn't get it clean thoroughly inside - because I didn't know how to remove the plunger part to get to wash behind it. I discovered before I used the press the second time that if you use a thin knife between the tube of the cookie press and the plunger, you can really easily remove the plastic plunger and from that it is simple to clean!
Now that is sorted...just have to try to find my favourite press cookie recipe!
on 2 February 2014
This was terrible it was supposed to come with a case to keep it all in but it didn't so had to send it back, most disappointed.