Style Name: Canon|Change

on 30 July 2007
I had been looking for an upgrade to the cheap and cheerful kit lens that came with my canon 30D so did some extensive research on the forums to which lens would suit my needs for under £300.00.

Many of the forums were praising the Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di and I must admit I am now one of the happy customers to add the list.

I've had this item for a couple of weeks now and have taken some 200 shots. I must say it has made a massive difference to the quality of my photos and the pleasure in taking and showing them from my Canon 30D. I have the 18-55 kit lens and also purchased the highly recommended budget priced Canon EF II 50mm f1.8 prime and to be honest, these two lenses have not been on my camera since the purchase.

My main shot subject is of my children and family so having the f2.8 across the range on this lens really helps in lower light conditions.

I've found the sharpness to be pinpoint, colours are rich and accurate, yes it sometimes hunts for focus a little in lower lighting, but not so much so that you'd really notice at all especially if this is your first more serious purchase of a lens.

My other options were the Canon 17-85 f/4.0-5.6 IS USM. Canons 17-85 has the wider range at both ends and Image Stabiliser but on the whole my theory is that for moving subjects like the kids IS won't make a whole lot of difference... it is the higher shutter speed that the constant f2.8 of this Tamron allows that makes the difference.

If you are considering a budget lens that wont blow the bank, I cannot praise this lens enough.
on 18 January 2011
I purchased this lens when I had a Alpha 500 to replace the 18-55mm SAM kit lens. It was a great improvement over that lens and when I upgraded to an Alpha 850 the lens is still able to perform to a high standard.

The Tamron is quite large and chunky which is good as you have plenty of lens to get your hands around. It is quite heavy even though it is a predominantly plastic lens and the zoom and focus rings are nice and solid with no play. With a 67mm diameter this lens is quite a good light gatherer, which means it can produce decent pictures in poor light coupled with the constant f2.8 maximum aperture. For well lit scenes it comes with a petal hood which effectively reduces internal reflections.

The image quality is very good for this price. At 28mm there is little barrel distortion or pincushion affect which is something that tends to happen quite a lot on kit lenses when they are at their lowest zoom level. There is a bit of vignetting at f2.8 on the full frame sensor, this clears away if you stop down to about f4 onwards. At 75mm this is not so obvious and doesn't cause a real problem even at f2.8.

I find in use that 28mm is just about wide angle enough to be useful for landscape work and the fact that you can have a f2.8 aperture at all focal lengths means that it is also a great performer for portraits, you can normally focus out any unsightly backgrounds behind your subject as you would with a good prime lens.

This is a great all round lens that will make an excellent replacement for your standard kit lens when you start to notice it's shortcomings, and at this price you probably won't find a better performer that has full frame compatibility.
on 6 March 2016
I bought what may be the last Pentax fitting one on here as the best value FF standard zoom for as and when I get a K-1. In the meantime t's getting plenty of use on a K-3II where it balances very nicely as a combo including the battery grip. Although that doesn't make it the lightest and smallest combination it all fits very nicely and performs just as well as a Pentax optic would. It doesn't however seem so happy on a KS-2 body, but then that's really the wrong camera for it anyway with the body being so small and light. I'll try and update this review once I have some ore meaningful use to report back on.
on 27 December 2009
I have had this lens on 2 Camera bodies, the first being the 450D and the current being the 50D. This lens is superb on the 450D, its sharp at 2.8 and superb at F4 upward to around F11. The only thing is, on my 50D it tends to rear focus by about 2" or so! But not every time so I am not able to use the 50D's focus adjustment! Its a real shame that this happens, it may just be my combi that doesnt get on? I use a Tamron 17-55mm F2.8 (non VC) and have no issues with that one. Because of this issue I have decided to sell this lens which is a big dissapointment to me as it is a superb lens overall with amazing IQ, for the price you will not beat it.
on 6 September 2007
The best 'Standard Lens for the money'. The way things are going it makes sense to buy a DSLR body only and choose your own better quality lenses rather than opt for a cheap brand standard lens.

I'm happy with my purchase, I use a Canon 300D but the Tamron can be used on 35mm as well, also one mag review tested this lens up against a Canon costing £900, hardly value for money, the Tamron wins.
on 25 March 2013
When I first got this lens I was very happy, in fact the sharpness/contrast/colour from f2.8 onwards was better than I expected. It has a flaw though IMO and IMO is a big one and not something I was prepared to put up with, in that focusing in lower light, not near darkness or anything but just indoors in the daytime light levels, was very slow. I mean it would take several seconds to lock on focus, literally, I counted 3-6 seconds most times when using indoors. For me this was very frustrating for a modern lens, and when for example shooting pictures of your children, this is a long time and your going to miss more shots than you nail. A shame, as that was the only real problem, but if you can't get good accurate speedy focus when shooting, what does it matter about I.Q ? If you were using this in bright light always, and willing to accept this flaw, I'm sure you could get some excellent quality shots, but for me a real deal breaker and I ended up returning and going for the - Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC HSM - which I kept and I'm very happy with my decision to do so.
on 24 December 2011
I have been after a fast lens for some time to use with my Canon DSLR. I always wanted the Canon 24-70 2.8 but never had the £1000 spare cash to buy it. I seen this little gem and I love it. The autofocus isn't quite as sharp as the Canon but its fast enough and the quality is brilliant. I have only been using it a few weeks andhave taken some excellent shots.
on 26 November 2011
I have a full frame camera and whilst Canon L lenses are usually first choice, they are hugely overpriced. Also, so many Tamron lenses match their results, so I am a huge fan of Tamron lenses and currently own several, which I prefer to my 'L' lenses.
This is no exception. It's a lightweight all purpose lens, great for unexpected moments, rather than set photoshoots. And is an excellent choice for event photography.
on 10 August 2013
I got this to use at my sister's Wedding and it worked very well. This gave me the flexibility of 28-75mm F2.8 and used with a Canon 50mm F1.8 prime to get a lovely range of shots. If I had the money I would have perhaps gone for a more expensive alternative but this gave me the results I wanted so I'm happy.
on 20 May 2014
I use it on my d800. You can get nice results with f2.8, although it does back focus or soft focus sometimes, especially if you shoot few frames in a row or in a low light conditions. Sometimes this lens also has a vignetting if shooting at 28mm full frame
But in general nice vibrant pictures with some minor autofocus issues!
If you are photographer on a budget, give it a go.
I you can afford, go for more expensive alternative! My next purchase might be 24-120 f4.
With f2.8 in general I have an impression, it can give you a nice bookeh, but subjects can come up soft sometimes. But it's only my opinion!