Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 1 July 2004
I grew up listening to older brothers' music, which consisted of Crosby, Stills etc, Neil Young, Lynyrd Skynyrd etc. Incessantly. This albums sounds like all these guys got together in someone's barn one weekend and had one humdinger of a jam, with it all recorded for posterity on a 4 track. More upbeat and rockier than previous MMJ, some great guitar work, real drums, well penned songs, great fun. In a way, comparing them to all these old bands doesnt do MMJ justice, there're more than a period tribute band. Dancefloors rocks, Golden has some good accoustic guitar work, the handover between Easy Morning Rebel and Run Thru sounds exciting, not something you can say that often nowadays. Probably wont grab you at first, there's a lot of music. If you like electric Americana with homespun feel then this should push buttons. Anyway they must be good - all good bands have daft names.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 17 August 2009
I am a recent convert to 'My Morning Jacket' and a very happy one too, I am in the process of getting all of thier recordings and this is the third I bought. It is twelve tracks long and it would be unfair to call any of them fillers, although their broad styles may be a bit too 'Catholic' for some tastes. That said they have retained thier alt country routes with much more being thrown in and with dramatically impressive results. The opening 'Mahgeetah' is just stunning and has a very typical trait of having a false ending then comes back with even more cracking guitar riffs. Compare that to 'Golden' and it would be easy to think they were from two completely different bands as it is more laid back guitar plucking and summer afternoon dreamy, and I mean that in a very good way.There is the heartbreakingly honest and soulful 'Just one thing' which just adds to the rich mix of styles and use of an almost wall of sound aural brilliance. I have also got thier live 'Okonokos' album where some of these tracks are played and they are even better. A wonderful band and a wonderful record.
on 15 June 2008
The Louisville, Kentucky band's third full-length is a whopping 75-minute set recorded in a grain silo and positively swimming in reverb. By eschewing modern recording techniques altogether they are taking a big risk on this, their first for a major label, but is with the swagger of a hard-touring band that they silence the doubters. For 'It Still Moves' is an epic take on classic Americana, an unashamed poem to the redemtive power of the guitar solo, sometimes affording some extraordinarily satisfying rocking out. But there are also the swooning ballads in Jim James' heartbreaking falsetto which recalls an alt-country Thom Yorke.

Be it rock and roll or 'twangcore', My Morning Jacket are not simply fetishising musical moods that probably pre-date the band members' birth, for in Jim James they have a songwriter with exceptional gifts. The likes of 'Golden', 'Just One Thing' and 'Steam Engine' could grace an classic American rock record, and deserve to be granted the same status. Shades of country, folk, rock - and on 'Mahgeeta', Brian Wilson's wide-eyed psychedelic pop - all bubble up in It Still Moves' sonic stew. The humid Kentucky air is almost palpable in the reverb-thick ambience on the record, untampered by post-production trickery in the way that marks their subsequent album 'Z' as a departure. The recording quality hampers the record at the times ('Dancefloor') the band try to embrace Stax soul where the honking brass sounds wrong in less polished recording conditions. On a couple of tracks like this it's as if we're listening to a concert as opposed to a studio album, and in a way we are.

It is the widescreen emotionalism of the 'I Will Sing You Songs' and 'One In The Same' that disarm the listener most, the plaintitive singing pitched somewhere between Neil Young, Wayne Coyne and the aforementioned Radiohead frontman. The former of these two songs does outstay its welcome somewhat, clocking in at over eight minutes and including a dubby, prog-rock finale that suggests a place for Pink Floyd somewhere in James's record collection. The excessive song lengths make 'It Still Moves' a bit heavy for one sitting, and a little editing might have taken this to another level. It's never a dull listen though, with the likes of 'Run Thru' providing all the guiltily pleasurable guitar solos you could ever want. Another near-classic from one of the great modern bands.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 September 2003
at first i was dissapointed as i was wanting 'at dawn pt2', but theres been development here, which after some time shows to be a good thing.
My morning jacket have made an album to which at least half of could be danced to. It rock basically, its bar room country rock and roll at times, but the vocals, reverb and space firmly stamp 'MMJ' all over it. Jim james has created an all rounder, which this time seems more consistant, varied and even has a wonderful horn section.
The sad slow songs are less frequent but still there, and are what jim james sounds like he is on this planet for.
on 13 April 2014
I bought this back when it was released, probably after reading a Q Magazine review, and didn't like it. I didn't like Jim's vocal reverb, or the way he seemed to be singing slightly sharp all the time, so I judged it too quickly and forgot it. I came across the CD out in my garage and played it again out of curiosity 2 or 3 years ago and have been hooked ever since. Seven years older and I heard it totally differently - I love country, rock, americana, and big expansive music and this is all of the above at its best. I now have 3 preschool children who like to see music on the TV so I've ordered the DVD of Okonokos for them. No X-Factor in our house.
VINE VOICEon 8 September 2003
This is by far one of the most intetersting recordings I've heard this year, forget The Thrills Parsons lite country do dad this is the real McCoy.
The influences are pretty clear cut and the resultant joyous sound is what you may have got if The Stones had struck up with Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young and the JB horn section and this is after just one listen.
Great stuff
VINE VOICEon 30 August 2008
Only recently discovered MMJ after seeing them at Hop Farm Festival.I was amazed how cool they were with that alternative country vibe coupled with great vocals. They like to jam it up too.
I've now bought the last 4 studio albums and I agree with Kingrizla and MJ Hulme that this one is the best.It may not have the best production but it has the attitude and some of their classic material.The slower stuff will go down well if you like the Fleet Foxes.Believe me if you are into My Morning Jacket your collection is lost without this album.Take me to Okonokos!!
on 18 April 2012
Dusted this album off recently,and rediscovered what a gem it is.I remember it took me a while to appreciate it at first,but i soon realized it was tons better than the more acclaimed `Z`,which i had before.Now i have detected the beautiful harmonies and vocals which remind me of the Fleet Foxes and they were surely influenced by MMJ and this album in particular.The Foxes have taken all the plaudits,while MMJ haved stayed basically undiscovered and got on quietly with their business.
on 10 April 2008
MMJ are in my opinion one of the greatest bands operating in the world today. This is there finest work to date. The sound alone is amazing. It's a rich, swampy, bluesy, country sound topped with gloriously pitchy vocals. The songwriting is brilliant too - exhilirating but by no means frivolous and the lyrics are interesting for a change too.

I played this to a fifty year old Led Zep fan and he was in no doubt that he had not heard anything this good in 30 odd years. I unreservedly recommend this to one and all with an ear for southern rock. It's a major grower though so if you're new to MMJ I urge perseverance (Mr. Kilpatrick) - you won't be disappointed.
on 10 September 2003
This album seems to have divided My Morning Jacket fans down the middle - some praise the improved guitar work while others have voiced concerns that the band appear to be going down the dreaded "jam band" route.
Well, for what it's worth, I think it's their best album yet. 'At Dawn' had moments of beauty and some wonderful songwriting, but it was let down by a weak production and a few tracks that drifted on and on without ever really going anywhere. This time round, you still get the typically generous 72 minutes of music spread across 12 tracks - yes, that's six minutes a track - but this time, they chop and change and go off to different places, keeping the sound fresh and the listener hooked. 'Dancefloors' and 'Masterplan' between them are worth the money alone - if Oasis had been from the Midwest and had been able to write long but interesting songs, they might have sounded this good. If the Flaming Lips wrote countrified rock and roll, they would sound like this.
Jim James still sounds like Neil Young when he sings, but the material they play gets more and more original with every new release. If you're new to the band, this is as good a place to start as any. If you're an existing fan, you won't be disappointed.