on 7 December 2011
Excellent sound quality, take it from someone who produces/dj's electronic music for a living.
Ambient sound isolation is superb and response is crisp and clear across all frequencies right down to a punchy and tight low end.
Volume is loud with only a hint of distortion at the top end. comparing with the much heavier but equally priced allen&heath xone xd:53, I would have to say these have the edge in sound and are certainly more comfortable to wear for long periods.
Only thing I would mention is that the basic edition only come with one set of ear cups and non-extendable (non-coiled) 1.5m cable. worth bearing in mind if you plan on using them to dj.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 August 2014
I have used these professionally for sound recording for about 15 years and whilst not without their issues (detailed below) they do suit me quite well. I have tried various other professional cans but I have to say that I keep coming back to these, for the price they can't be beaten.

Pros
First and foremost great audio quality, clinical sounding which can reveal faults in noisy headphone amp circuits.
Good fit, the slit headband, padded head band and earcups work well. The length of adjustment of each earcup is also impressive
Good seal, almost as good as Bose QC15s in acoustic noise reduction level but without the active element.
Very repairable. As they get older things get worn out, the headband pad, the earcup pads and once thet get very old the actual adjustment on the earcup sliders gets very loose. Sennheiser stock an amazing range of spares for these headpones.
Great cable, not curly and not too short, just right with a good right angle plug on the end.

Cons
Comfort, for me I find they press on the outer part of the ear a bit too much, after about 2 hours I have to take them off for a few minutes
Earcup connections. Often I need to re-seat the electrical connection on one or more earcups as the sound in one of them cuts out. Doing this usually cures it, it's not a dead driver just a dodgy connection.

Oh and a little tip, get the optional velour car cup pads, Sennheiser HD25 Earpads Velour much more comfortable than the included ones
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 13 September 2012
I was in need of a headphone upgrade. I'm so glad i chose these. There is a reason why the worlds best producers and DJs have these - It is because they're the best. The thing is with these headphones is, the sound quality is so good, you will be literally "wowing! during your first listens.

I bought these also because I am a massive dance music love. Trance and House are my main genres and thee headphones really bring out the best in these genres. The bass which will mean the kick drum is very much excelled at it really is as if you're in a club. The mids and lows are also crystal clear.

These headphones block out the sound and sit very comfortably on your head.

A must buy for anyone who wants the best. You wont be dissapointed!
on 15 May 2012
Just got these sennheiser hd25 1-11 after much research. I wanted a good portable set of headphones and I owned a set before but tried to better then. I couldn't!
They sound so clear and tried them against the new Amperior's but did not warrant the extra £110.
I am so pleased that I reviewed all possibility's but to me and my ears and needs you cannot get better than these.
What's more absolute music were amazing I ordered these and they arrived the next day without extra cost. The level of service these guys offer is amazing with their returns policy and their after care seems to be the best out there!
Will certainly recommend them to my friends and all that want a great service from the product they offer.
Thanks absolute music!!!!
on 26 October 2008
There are many brands of headphones out there that are designed for DJ use, and many of them are from well respected names in the DJ world such as Technics and Pioneer.

Ignore them all.

After starting off on the slightly cheaper HD-25 SP versions way back when (same sound and cup design, but different headband) i am now on my second pair of HD 25s and so far have never found any other pair that I would replace them with.

These are THE headphones that professional DJ's use. The sound quality is second to none, the isolation is good for inside noisy clubs and the cups are a little smaller than other brands which makes them much more comfortable to wear.

If you look at pictures of any of the "big name" DJs playing live, be it in Ibiza or London or New York, (and barring the few that have sponsorship deals and get paid for wearing/advertising certian brands) these will be the headphones that you will always see.
VINE VOICEon 31 August 2004
Sennheiser have a reputation for producing low power accurate and easy to wear headphones to cater for consumers and professionals. The HD 25 is the pinnacle of their art. It has good sound isolation and a comfortable headband. They way a fraction of rivals such as Beyerdynamic DT100s and are appreciably louder. Just about every component on them are user servicable (parts can be obtained from the likes of studiospares.com) which is makes is more favourable than the rare Sony MDR 7509 professional series.
They only come in uber fashionable black and are wired with a short single sided cable making them as at home in an iPod or a mixing desk. HiFi snobs would prefer electrostatics or obscure makes with a matched headphone amplifier but for those of us who live in the real world, HD 25s are as good as it gets.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 6 May 2014
At the price these should've come standard with an in-line volume control. That, along with the fact that I could not find a Sennheiser product to the job, is my only gripe. The sound is great, a really wide sound and excellent instrument separation. From reading other reviews my main concern was the apparent head-clamping discomfort - I found this to not be the case. The split headband seems to distribute the pressure, I generally use them for an hour at a time and experience no discomfort.

One of the main factors in choosing this set was the replaceable cable, it seems to be a massive design flaw in the other 99% of headsets that they don't have this option. Having ripped through 2 sets of Motorhead Bomber headphones (it seems catching a train to work in a bank is more rock n roll than they can withstand) I can say I've owned these for about 6 weeks and no problems.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought these fantastic cans primarily for DJ use after I was advised by another far more experienced DJ that my cheap open back Sennheisers would damage my hearing as I was having to crank them up far to much to hear what I was monitoring above the din of noisey bars and clubs. So in the summer of 1997 I bought my one and only pair of Sennheiser HD25s which to this day are my go-to cans and the ones that of which have never ever let me down. I used these solidly for ten years of DJing doing 2-3 gigs a week really pushing them to their limits where they withstood anything I could throw at them. Despite all parts being modular and replaceable all I have ever had to change was the ear pads which had split due to being pulled on and off constantly as well as being squashed into record boxes and having all manner of alcoholic beverages spilt over them. I occasionally now have to adjust the left cable but thats it. I cant think of an electrical product I have used(and in the HD25s case abused)that has lasted as long as these.
The sound is a little clinical but extremely detailed and precise with a thumping low end and impressive highs. Background noise is handled well meaning you can really shut yourself away with these and concentrate fully on what your monitoring. Construction is rugged and as you can tell by my story pretty much indestructable with a solid double headband and thick steel cable. Some users have complained that these are a little tight but I found this an advantage and although they are snug to your ears they will never shift or fall off no matter how jiggy you get.

You could say my HD25s have gone into retirement now compared to the first 10years of their life but I do use them daily to listen to CDs, DAB radio and movies through my AV reciever and they still sound fantastic and never miss a beat. Despite being 70ohms they are pretty east to drive meaning if you just want some commuter headphones then they should be fine with battery operated devices(avoid the 600ohm version for this type of use though). Yes they are expensive but in my opinion worth every penny and I dread to think how many cheaper less well made pairs I would have got through over the years. Also for the hard wearing design and incredibly durable cable(plus more power)these are a much better investment over the similar but cheaper HD25 SP model(I tried these and detested the swiveling ear cups which caused the cable to bunch up and tangle under your chin).

I cannot recommend these enough and over the years seem to have become the the industry standard monitor headphone. Just watch any live broadcast whether it be sports commentators or live music and your pretty much guaranteed to see a pair of HD25s glued to their heads. TV cameramen, sound recordists and pro DJs also swear by these so dont just take my word for it, take note of the professionals and treat yourself to possibly the best(in my opinion) sub £200 cans on the market. .
on 1 April 2009
I've been a DJ for longer than I care to mention, a professional Sound Recordist (the chap with the fluffy thing on the end of a stick. mostly for TV and corporate video) and now a director/editor. Theses things are literally head and shoulders above anything else on the market for accuracy, durability, comfort and design.

I've spent many a day with mine on my head for 12hrs and over without any fatigue, discomfort or problems of any kind.

Some of the best money I've ever spent. First pair lasted the best part of 8 years of constant (every day) use with only a slight adjustment to one of the connectors once. I've even stood in front of the main PA on the Pyramid stage at Glasto, Muse doing their stuff turned up to 11, and happily monitored with these babies.

Buy them now. You will not regret it!
on 27 July 2006
Wow. These only arrived today, and they've not been off my head.

I'm hearing things in my music collection that I'd never heard before. My CDs have layers of sound I'd not heard before, it's a whole new listening experience. Wish I'd had them sooner. The earpads are quite small, but they really do cut off the rest of the world. I can hear a small amount of exposure when they're on someone else's head and the volume is right up, but not enough to identify what is being played etc.

The one wire is a big plus, the only downside being the head band is a litle tight. Overall, tho', I can't recommend the quality of these enough.