Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 June 2003
My two children (3 and 5 years old)took an instant liking to the music on this compilation album. The upbeat rhythms and catchy tunes were instantly likeable and they were soon dancing around the room. An appealing aspect of the music is the simplicity of many of the lyrics. "Jambo Bwana" soon became my kids' favourite as it is easy to sing the simple lyrics, and with help from the CD booklet I was able to sing along and tell them the meaning of the words. "Mbube" is another favourite; the adults listening to it may recognise the tune as it became a popular song in English ("The Lion Sleeps Tonight"). The booklet which goes with it has some pictures of African children and instruments and child friendly information on the music. A great introduction to the music of the continent, for any child.
on 9 November 2009
This is a real treat for children and adults alike. If you want to feel soaked in the African exuberant spirit then this is the CD for you. We play it a lot and often play it in our van on the way to gymnastics on a saturday morning to get the kids in the mood and to do some warm ups, shaking their hands, heads, wiggling their toes etc... It never fails to properly wake us all up and put us in a cheerful mood.

It is enlivening and beautiful music for children without being patronising or dumbed down like some awful children's albums. Sheer magic. If you go on the Putumayo website, there are free downloads associated with the album, and info on the awards it has won. The most exiting and easy way into understanding a culture is to feel it's rhythms - far more fun and important than learning facts and figures and geography as taught in textbooks - this will do much more to get your kids interested in Africa - it will get under their skin and breathe new life into them!
on 22 September 2005
I bought this CD when my daughter was only 3 months old - she loved it then and still loves it now at 8 months. When we travel in the car and she starts to get bored and fractious, this CD always calms her down - without fail. I like the fact that I can put on a CD that my husband will enjoy too - he tolerates nursery rhyme CDs but wouldn't choose to put them on - this is music he likes!! We listen to a lot of world music anyway but it's good to have this CD for our baby as we can singalong and the tunes are great.
on 11 July 2009
I purchased this for use in a primary classroom, with children studying Kenya. They really enjoyed it and we used it for drama. When the project was completed I decided to take it home, instead of claiming the cost from petty cash, as the music is so enjoyable. I would highly recommend it for cheerful listening or school use.
on 3 December 2013
I bought this for my 2 year old daughter who loves it! It is quite funky and we dance to it a lot. We are white british born and don't speak any african languages but we know all the lyrics and sing along - they are such catchy tunes! Lots of fun and just charming. We like all the Putumayo series, but this one is our favourite from both the childrens and adults lists.
Highly recommended! Great value for money.
on 3 April 2013
Another fantasic one from this collection - I'd like to get all of them one day! Brilliant catchy songs and my 4 year old and all her friends of all ages loveit and have learnt some great Swahili from listening to it. totally recommend and they are brilliant for kids parties.
on 8 December 2013
Some of the tracks are a bit serious sounding. I would have omitted a few tracks and put in happier ones, like some South African accapella.

I hope they'll make a new one, which more cheerful tracks.
on 1 September 2012
I ordered this after already having purchased World Playground the year before. I had high expectations given the quality of that CD and I was not disappointed - this album is just as joyous and infectious!
on 25 October 2010
What an amazing CD. I have been teaching my Year 1's dance using Handa's Surprise as stimulus.The music really added to the dance and even the children thought it was amazing. Even the children commented on the music which for 5 and 6 year olds is something.
on 29 August 2012
This CD is fantastic for children. I've used it with both primary school children and in a nursery setting, and the children couldn't help but dance and sing along. It didn't take them long to pick up some of the words and start singing in Swahili! This CD is fun and gives a good introduction to African music. I would definately recommend to everyone.