Format: Audio CD|Change

on 26 February 2007
I think the previous reviewer can't be that much of a music fan if they're surprised that a CD of Cajun music has some tracks in French! A cursory glance at the track listings ('Les Veuves De La Coulee' etc) might have given a bit of a hint.

I don't pretend to be any great authority on Cajun music but if you've heard one or two tracks and like the sound of it and want to find out more this CD is perfect as it includes a varied mix of different styles of tracks from slower waltzes to more up-tempo stomps, from such Cajun legends as the Balfa Brothers and Nathan Abshire.

To me it doesn't really matter whether you can understand the words - just sitback and let the warm, evocative sound of the Louisiana swamplands wash over you.
The collection of Cajun music from the Ace label lives up to its title "Cajun Classics" and there are many great tracks included here. Most of the tracks come from the sixties and seventies but there are also a couple from the fifties and the eighties. Cajun music originated with the French Arcadians (Cajuns) who moved from Canada to Louisiana bringing their music with them. Now part of Americana its French roots are obvious from the language and the accordion and fiddle based rhythms!

I was surprised when the current 118 118 advert used the music of Nolan Cormier and the LA Aces as its backing music, and that track - Hee-Haw Breakdown - is the final track on this collection. If you are looking for a good introduction to this style of music then this collection from Ace won't disappoint. An excellent mix of high-energy foot-tappers and ballads this will make you want to investigate this music further.
on 15 February 2013
Having never heard of cajun music before I am smitten, the tunes become so comfortable and easy to listen to, doesnt matter that they are in french, I just love this cd, BRILLIANT.
on 18 March 2013
Great feel good music. Who cares if the vocals are in French? You don't have to understand the words to get the sentiment. Buy it!
on 21 March 2013
At least Hee-Haw Breakdown by Nolan Cormier and The LA Aces, is not on Spotify last time I looked.
Every track is good.
on 15 November 2009
This is an excellent cd,if you want some happy and feel alive music this is a great cd,I like country music ,and other music that off shoots from country like bluegrass,does what it says ,cajun kings at their very best,money well spent,I would rate this at 7 STARS.
on 19 May 2011
I only recently have taken a real interest in Cajun music although I have heard cajun music at various times.
This record is an excellent introduction with classic cajun musicians and singers and demonstrates a good variety of cajun music. Well worth the money and it arrived promptly.
on 17 December 2015
I have been hankering for a Cajun Music Album for a while now, but was never sure which one to choose?
Thus, I girded my loins and took the plunge with this item - chiefly on the back of the other reviews - and I have been very pleased with the result.
I am no Cajun Music expert by a long chalk, but this album is very entertaining and really gives a good flavour of the music genre.
Recommended.
on 6 May 2015
Lovely world music from the swamp of america. Good mixture of cajun styles. Any body whose travelled in the southern states around new orleans and heard this music should buy this GOOD STUFF.
on 20 February 2013
A different genre of music to my normal listening material. This is very earthy and basic toe tapping music. recommended if you like something a little different.