on 2 February 2005
This sweet little wooden box really captivated the babies who were playing with it. Their little fingers eagerly stuffed the brightly coloured cylindrical peg men back into their holes, they pressed them and chuckled as they popped back out. This charming toy enhances fine motor skills and encourages the child to sort the men into their colour co-ordinated holes, making associations whilst they witness the cause and effect actions of their own tiny hands. Inexpensive, lovely gift but needs adult supervision as the babies loved sucking the wooden guys.
11 comment73 of 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 December 2007
I'm on baby number 4 so have seen many Christmases and birthdays already. This toy has been on my lists in the past, but somehow always got overlooked until this year. I guess it was on the recommendation of a few friends that the toys was fantastic for babies that made me finally buy it (or, err, was that Santa who bought it???).

Anyway, the bottom line is that my 9-month-old truly loves this toy. He even started crawling (finally) so he could reach it. He picks up the pegs, he mouths them, gums them, bangs them together, makes a little hammering action against the pegs that are still in their holes. He picks up the main block and turns it over and over, looking at the holes and the coloured swatches on the side.

I presume, as he gets older, he'll start tucking the pegs into the holes and then, even later, learn to launch them from their spring-loaded bases.

The toy feels good to hold because it's wooden, and the pegs are such a good size and weight. The little happy faces drawn on them are something that my baby is already responding to, turning the pegs around until he sees them.

Best of all, it's made in Cheshire, England. And it's cheaper in England than in the US. (I can tell you that *that's* a surprise!).

Bottom line: buy the toy for your first baby. Buy it for your friends' babies. I'm just about to buy one for my nephew who's 6 months old, and wish I'd bought it for my own, older kids before now, so we could have had that much more enjoyment from it.

Oh, and the other thing I really like about it? No batteries required.

UPDATE: The 9-month old is now almost 4, and he still *loves* this toy! Now the little men talk to each other, and he is very specific about putting the right coloured man in the right coloured hole. He sometimes uses a toy hammer on it, though is quite careful not to hit his men too hard. I just can't believe how CLASSIC this toy really is.
33 comments151 of 154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 February 2013
Bought this for my one year old, he found it hilarious to bob the little heads up and down. After a few months he was pushing the heads all the way down and firing the pegs across the room! I really think this toy helped him with his hand-eye coordination, he spent a lot of time perfecting the art of peg-firing. Loved it.
on 30 December 2008
My son has played with this toy nearly every day since he got it for his first birthday. Its good fun, great for dexterity and the pegs are good to chew on, hide or throw about!
on 19 October 2008
The beauty is in the simplicity with this toy. My daughter was bought this when she turned one and was instantly captivated by it. SHe loved making the figures pop and it wasn't long before she was popping them, retrieving then, putting them back. It's pleasing on the eye too for adults. Beautifully crafted and no batteries required. It looks so simple but it keeps young children entertained again and again and again. My now 2.5 year old still gets pleasure in popping the figures and chooses whether to put them back in the right-coloured or the wrong-coloured hole. I buy this for all my friends when their babies turn one and every one comments on what a wonderful, durable toy it is.
on 26 October 2008
I bought this for my 11 month old nephew and think that it is a brilliant example of an old fashoined toy. This is the one toy which he comes back to time and time again, completely ignoring all the electronic toys. He quickly learned to put the pegs in the holes and not long after learnt to bounce them back out again.

I would highly recommend this to anyone, extremely enjoyable and also helps to develop fine motor skills.
on 10 March 2008
i was enthusiastic about this toy based on the reviews, however I was disappointed when I received it. The pegs sit on a metal base to make them bounce and some of the metal seems to come off onto the bottom of the peg. That means i'm unhappy leaving the toy with my baby unless i'm watching as i don't want him to put the pegs in his mouth. That means that this toy isn't used as much as i'd hoped.
0Comment29 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 November 2008
My twins played with this when they were little and had hours of fun with it and it came in handy as a teething aid as well as a fun toy. My third child who has special need found it easy to hold and the colours eye catching and even her physiotherapist thought it was excellent for stimulation. Overall I think this is a fantastic toy and have just bought a new one for my friends little girl who is one.
on 3 November 2010
My grandson absolutely loves this toy, chuckles endlessley as the men fly through the air.
on 11 October 2007
Bought this for my baby who was 6 months at the time, although I think the age range is for slightly older children. At the moment he can't put the 'men' back in their places but he loves taking them out and having a good chew on them. I expect this to be a really long lasting toy as he will eventually learn to put them back in the holes, then ping them out as they're spring loaded, plus it will teach colour sorting too! It's a really solidly made toy... definitely worth getting.

Edited by me to add that my son loved this and did indeed learn to ping the men. My new daughter loves it too - an absolute classic toy which lasts really well despite being chewed and mauled by 2 kids!
0Comment26 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse