on 31 October 2001
What can I say, I'm so glad she's back and making us all laugh again.This video is a MUST for all Ellen fans! It's great the way she analyses things and makes them so funny. I find that this is not just a woman who makes people laugh in standup, but really makes you think about life and the maddiness in life, we have created. Our views on god and the thought of same sex marriges. At the end Ellen takes questions which end up with hystrical and moving consequences! This video made me laugh and cry, When taking questions a young girl thanked Ellen so much for her help in helping her 'come out', it was so unbelieably moving.
What made me laugh most? Erm, well thats a though question there were so many funny and hilarious moments it's hard to chose.I guess the abit about'The video taping sex,' was very amusing it had me crying with laughter, I guess thats why she is known as 'America's Funniest Woman!'
If you don't buy this you won't know what your missing, 'The greatest female comic of our generation!
on 1 October 2001
Ellen's first stand-up performance since coming out finds her at the Beacon Theatre in New York in front of a wildly (and justly) appreciative audience. As promised, she doesn't shy away from 'the gay thing' but her jokes on the subject are subtle, clever and - of course - hilarious. That aside, the rest of her material is new too (except for the obligatory references to the horrors of plane journeys), including fantastic routines about clothing department changing rooms, sex shops, attention disorders and doing lunch with God. There's also a surprisingly moving coda which sees Ellen answering the audience's questions. (And, if there is a gripe with this release, it's that this apparently great segment isn't presented in full.)
In all, a confident, fresh and wonderful return to stand-up from one of the people who does it best.
VINE VOICEon 8 November 2012
This isn't the funniest piece of her work that I've seen but for all that it is funny and very cleverly written. I think this must have been a very early, if not her first, appearance in public following a very public ostraciZing for "coming out" - hence the gentleness of it - almost like dipping a toe back in to stand up - thank heavens she stayed the course as the woman is a naturally funny person who can see something amusing in a lot of human frailties - which most of us have! One or two laugh out loud moments but mainly a sit on the sofa with a smile on your face hour and a bit.
on 14 July 2004
What can I say but seeing "Ellen-Live" made me laugh out loud for over an hour.
Her observations about everyday life are what made her famous and thankfully she hasn't changed her style.
She's right up there with Eddie Izzard for laughs.
Keep watching right until the end. While the credits are rolling there are some questions from the audience, especially a very touching interaction she has with a young woman at the very end.
on 22 October 2001
This is Ellen at her best, funny and witty. Her facial expressions make the show even more amusing. In my view the interperative dance and the sketch on imagination are the best parts of the performance. The more you watch Ellen, the funnier it becomes. This should not be missed.
VINE VOICEon 30 December 2001
In this video Ellen negotiates a way of addressing the inescapable fact that she's a huge symbol of out-ness and lesbian icon, while retaining the essential wry, sweet and slightly distracted humour that makes her such a talent and such a great personality.
Let's hope Ellen carries on giving us great comedy like the central standup routine here while she grapples with the responsibilities of being one of our best-known out performers.
on 7 June 2012
I love Ellen but really couldn't get into this DVD. She pauses way too much and I just didn't find her funny in this one! Also for some reason I was expecting it to last longer than an hour (my fault for not reading the details properly)
on 6 May 2011
Ellen Live was good if you are a De Generes fan,however be careful that you do not buy the same DVD twice. I bought Ellen DeGeneres The Beginning a few weeks ago and then bought Ellen DeGeneres LIVE not realising that they were the same DVD. I did not return the 2nd DVD because I was busy working and did not have the time.
on 29 March 2004
the thing that makes us laugh the most is honesty. it's when a comedian manages to hit a button inside of you that sets off this release that you were not expecting. ellen, in this particaular dvd hits that button again and again. she is honest, clever, witty beyond words and a fabulous entertainer. so let me give you some advise...
BUY THIS DVD.
on 29 July 2013
I love ellens style of humour, I go to bed and watch this in bed, as it is a good clean humour so I can relax to it and go to sleep with a smile on my face.