on 8 January 2013
As a childminder I usually have about three or four of these. A couple of them were just about unusable as they get a lot of use and were not rubbing out very well any more so I bought one in December (from Argos - sorry amazon but can't seem to review it on their site) and it no longer has an automatic return on the screen wiper so I thought it might be broken already.

I found the telephone number for Tomy and when I called I was told that it wasn't broken, the automated ones were costing too much to make and therefore they had changed them. This is a rip off as the quality is not as good as the previous ones (the screen is not as tough as if they press a bit hard you can see the words they have written scratched on the plastic and they don't rub out as well as they used to) and they no longer have the automatic return and yet they have not got any cheaper - yes there are discounts about but they are around the same price as they have been for the last five years taking inflation into account and there is nothing on any of the product details to say they have changed them.

I will not be buying any more megasketchers, I will be trying other models instead - I have purchased about ten in the last three years and previously thought they were great.....

Hope this is helpful to anyone looking to buy one.
on 30 September 2001
Had this for over a year now and it's still a firm favourite with all 3 of my kids, ranging from 21 months to 7 years (the eldest plays hangman on it). Like the other reviewer said it's great for car trips. The pen being on a string means it doesn't get lost, but we have lost one of the four stamper shapes as they are not attached. This toy is very durable. It's been trodden on, thrown about and had drinks spilled on it, but still works fine. Easy to recommend.
on 2 June 2016
Fast delivery. Great board, funnily enough I didn't buy this for a child. I got it for my second year medic sister who prefers to use these to scribble her revision on furiously so that it helps her memorise - as opposed to wasting a few trees worth of paper every semester. It's been great for that, my little brother also enjoys playing with it when she doesn't use it, for what it's worth. It's a bit more expensive here than it was in store, but I needed it fast at the time which is why I bought it here.
VINE VOICEon 1 August 2007
This sort of toy is absolutely superb. We have had one of these for years and it is STILL used almost every day by my boys aged 7 and 9....there are not many toys that last like this !Obviously great for encouraging handwriting but also great for playing games - look no further for the perfect toy.
on 14 January 2013
Nice and big... but the only problem is that, aside from the cheap plastic, our one started leaking iron filings out of the front. Which is not particularly safe.
on 1 January 2004
This drawing board has provided hours of fun for our 7yr. old daughter who has downs syndrome. It is extremely durable and she takes it everywhere with her using it to communicate, to get people to draw on it for her& to amuse herself. Her dexterity has improved considerably and she just loves it. We now have it nine months and it is still going strong. Before we bought it we had other drawing boards which could not compete
11 comment| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 September 2001
This is a lot of fun at first, but after time can still be pulled out in an emergency (especially travel) to give them something to do. A particularly good thing about this one is that it comes with little stamps, too, as well as the standard pen.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 September 2011
This is a robust toy which requires no batteries or refills, it is suitable for boys or girls. The screen is a kind of grey colour and using either the attached pen or the stamps that come with it, you can create all sorts of pictures, though only in black (you can't draw in colour). You clear the screen by pulling down the blue slider at the side. As your child gets older it can also be used for practising writing or for games such as naughts and crosses or hangman - it is really versatile and great for use on car journeys. My 3 year old has had his megasketcher for about 2 years now and it's still used almost daily. The screen is almost as new with only a couple of small dents where it looks like he has pressed down too hard, it still works perfectly.

Edit: April 2012. Well I am sad to say our original megasketcher finally broke. When you clear the screen you pull down the blue slider which is attached to a strip of plastic underneath. The strip of plastic needs to move freely down and up, but children have a tendency to put a hand on the screen as they pull the slider which, in our case, resulted in the strip of plastic snapping off rendering the whole thing useless. Since it was a much loved toy, I bought another exactly the same and I am really glad I did as if anything it gets used even more than the first one.

My son has recently started learning to write a few words and the megasketcher has been fantastic. We have saved countless sheets of paper and my son gets to practice writing as much as he likes and there are no pens left lying around for his baby sister to find and cause havoc with!
on 30 September 2007
Solid, robust construction. Going well almost three years later. Educational toy - helping our daughter with her drawing and writing. No worries about drawing on walls with felt tips especially with a 2 year old brother.
They love it so much we had to buy another one for him.
Recommended for hours of fun and learning.
on 12 April 2013
Really surprised at the low quality of this toy - expected better from the brand. The lines of the swiper are visible under the screen; it takes several swipes back and forth to erase; it's flimsy and cheap-looking. It seems like something you'd buy from the pound shop, not something you'd pay over £10 for. Very disappointed. Wish we'd gone for another brand.