Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 December 2005
This is an amazing album which is ideal for anyone who likes their music with a dash of theatre.
Every track is meticulously put together although I believe the album sounds better if track 1(Bat out of Hell) is placed after track 7. This is because to me that song is like the peak of the album and incorporates everything which has gone before.
Also listen to it from start to finish a few times through headphones.
Don’t worry if your friends ridicule you as this is an album worth listening to at any age( It also covers every emotion so is ideal for any moody teenagers).
Enjoy
R
on 31 March 2006
There seems to be a lot of people complaining about the lack of multichannel on this SACD. That is because it is a STEREO SACD, and does NOT have a centre channel even, despite what another review claims.
Stereo SACD's sound FAR superior to standard CD's.
If you are looking for the multichannel version, then head over to Amazon.de - the last time I looked they had some in stock. It's where I ordered mine from.
I did see a multichannel in MVC in the UK when they were still in business, however that was a one off. The Multichannel version is notoriously hard to find in this country.
I own both the stereo, and multichannel versions, as well as an audiophile grade half speed mastered vinyl, and I can safely say that the vinyl kicks them both into last week on a decent system, but for truly enveloping sound, the SACD-Multi is pretty damn spectacular. The stereo one is intended, like the vinyl, much more for purists.
I tend to listen to the multi more than my vinyl, purely because of the added durability an optical format offers.
Ollie
on 4 November 2007
I'll ask you a question. Why do people laugh when you say Meatloaf is your favourite performer? The music is great and listened to by as many people today as in the 70's. The song lyrics are perfect. The musicianship is top notch and Meat himself outshines almost any other performer I have seen or listened to. He acts as he sings as he feels and seems to me to be living each and every song as though that is all that ever mattered at that particular moment.
For me he has a voice that would grace any opera and performs the very best in driving music. Bat out of Hell itself is Meatloaf to the very core. I was about 8 when I first heard it and played the tape til' it melted. And it still sounded better than Brotherhood of Man. The words were telling me to explain things in descriptive detail and that emotions were to be worn on the sleeves of your black leather jacket. This album was where my own imagination was forged and where my relationship with non-rockers was destroyed.
I took the imagination to school where teachers were telling all the kids to use theirs in their writing and screaming at them when they day dreamed whilst looking out of the window - That's using imagination teachers. But because of Bat out of Hell I knew what my emotions were and and that one day I would tear past those pencil necks on a silver-black phantom bike and salute them all the way down the road.
If your kids are old enough to sing then throw out Bob the Builder music and buy them Bat out of Hell. Then stand back as their brains begin to dance.

Will Joseph.
on 10 April 2002
I'm only 16, but I've been raised on classic rock n roll. And Meatloaf has got to be amongst the best. Bat Out Of Hell is not only my favourite Meatloaf album, but my favourite album of all time. Bat Out Of Hell itself is an explosion of heavy guitarism and an awsome opening track, and the rest don't fail to disappoint. Big hits You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth & Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad are also on the album, and this is rock n roll at it's best. If this doesn't get you turning up the volume, nothing will.
Released way back in 1978, Meatloaf’s debut album is a timeless classic that will resonate down the ages.

I first came across this in 6th form in the early 90’s, and this was music that instantly spoke to my hormone raddled frustrated teen self. All revved up and no place to go indeed. This was music that I understood, made by someone who understood what life was about at that age. The bleak nihilism, the frustration, the crude humour, the sheer energy that needed some form of release.

Nearly 20 years later and my more mature self still appreciates this album. Apart from the nostalgia value there is so much here that is just so darned good. The title track is a classic that needs no introduction. From the opening piano riff to Meatloaf’s final desperate howl this is a song that just grabs you by the balls and keeps you gripped for its entire 10 minute run time. It’s a song I just love to scream along to in the car, it’s a great track for releasing any pent up energy and frustration. Not that I have as much now as I did back in 6th form.

The album then continues with a set of songs equally dark and frustrated, dealing with the main preoccupations of the teen mind, sex and death. The final two tracks are genius, with the epic, operatic, grandiose, bombastic ‘Paradise by the dashboard light’ seguing into the simple, plaintive ‘for crying out loud’ – it almost feels like the afterglow after the album has climaxed, slowly building to a second crescendo that almost outdoes the first.

A work of genius that will cry out for the rest of time. 5 stars.
on 20 May 2003
Is it cool to say your all time favourite album was introduced to you by your Mother? 1977 this came out when I was 7 and I still listen to it today. All revved up with no place to go... was the first song I ever picked up the air guitar to. This album is nothing short of a legend in the rock/metal business (in my opinion) and still sounds superb along side all modern offerings.
on 6 November 2006
Three lengthy rock opera epics (I actually think that 'For Crying Out Loud' is the best love song ever to come out of rock and roll), two five-minute pieces that transcend all age groups and music genres, and two shorter ones; one of which is a 'rocker' and the other, along with 'For Crying Out Loud' still sends shivers up my spine after all these years (I won't say how many!) This album is a masterpiece. Any youngsters out there who are enjoying 'Bat Out Of Hell III': you will love this.
on 6 February 2012
Thirty-five years on from the original release, there's nothing new to say about the music on "Bat out of Hell"; anyone looking to buy this on vinyl will either be trying to replace an older copy, or will just be catching-up with a record that has received so much air-play over the years that they never quite got around to actually buying it earlier.

So this review is specifically about the new 180g "Audiophile Vinyl" re-issue: in short, the pressing is one of the best I've ever come across - almost perfectly flat, clean and completely silent. The mastering seems 'just right': there's no apparent attempt at producing an over-blown demo-record sound, but there's a huge amount of detail in the recording. In fact the absence of surface noise and any 'clicks' or 'pops' is quite uncanny and puts to shame some much-more expensive 'audiophile' re-issues that I've bought over the last few years. The gatefold album cover is qood quality, and the inner sleeve seems to be quite an unusual 'soft' [almost a silicone-feel]anti-static liner. All around, this is how all vinyl records should be!

One [tiny] quibble - not about the product- but Amazon UK really could learn from some of the vinyl specialists when it comes to packing 12" discs for postage; the over-large 'equipment'-type boxes used to send the records really don't offer any real support to the discs, no matter how much paper is stuffed into the box! I'd suggest that someone at Amazon orders a vinyl album from [say] Audio Affair in Birmingham and looks very carefully at the secure and appropriate box in which it arrives...
on 5 March 2008
you all know this album inside out. Newly polished up and shiny - the songs get that extra oomph. The live tracks offer little new but are interesting. Dead Ringer is a fine song and is not out of place, as it completes Bat as a "best of". The DVD is definitely of its time and posesses none of the gloss and pizzazz of the later MTV epics. This combo is excellent value and should be in everyones collection.
on 22 December 2003
What can you say about Bat Out of Hell? It remains one of the greatest rock albums of all time, and may be responsible for more speeding tickets than any other album. It is worth making two points about the SACD, though. Firstly, it is not a hybrid disc and will not work in a normal CD player; buy the latest CD version with Dead Ringer for Love on it for the car. Secondly, there are two SACD versions around. One only has a stereo mix on it; the sound quality is phenomenal, but it is NOT multichannel as may be suggested by other reviews. I returned this one. I found another SACD version today, which has both the stereo and a new multichannel mix on it, which is probably what you are after if you are a SACD buff.

Edited 13/4/2007: Having changed systems and listened to a few of the other big SACD releases a lot more (Tommy, Dark Side, Toto IV, The Police compilation) I am afraid to say that I think this now lags behind the other big SACD releases in terms of quality. If I was getting it again today i'd give it 3 stars, whereas the other albums mentioned are still 5 star jobs IMHO.