Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 December 2009
As Mueed said in his review, don't be put off by others. We all listen to the music we like for ourselves, not to please someone else.

Music purists can be as bad as wine snobs (you must drink this posh plonk even if it tastes like vinegar because I say so).

Surely the definition of music is that it's pleasing to the listener. YOU are the listener - YOU decide.

What really matters is that respect for the roots of any traditional music and the people who created it is upheld and the pure form is remembered for posterity. Thankfully there will always be people who will do that. Many of them will be musicians who can also appreciate different arrangements.

As far is I'm concerned there's no disrespect here. Far from it. I will also note other more traditional CDs recommended here and probably invest there too.

This is NOT equivalent to contemptible advertising rip-offs of classic or classical music to avoid paying royalties to deceased composers or performers.

And talking of rip-offs, I wonder why this CD is so expensive. OK it's an import, but Sacred Spirit 1 isn't so I'll look elsewhere first before buying it from Amazon.

I've loved Sacred Spirit 1 for 15 years and never tired of it. I think it's about time I bought Sacred Spirit 2 now. My ears - my decision.
on 31 July 2002
This is one great chillout album. If you love atmospheric and sublime you will love this.
I first heard Looking Far North in a Navajo gift shop in Monument Valley in Utah. It was one of those great songs that made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up and gives you chill sensations down your spine. I asked what the CD was called and bought it on the strength of that one track.
My freinds laughed when they saw what i had bought - within a minute of putting it on they realised what a great CD this is.
I've listened to it many times now but i still love it.
Other great songs are Yane - Heja - Hee (uplifting and happy)
Land of Promise (just excellent) and That Noble Dream.
In short - buy this album, sit back, chill out and just enjoy - you won't be disappointed.
on 16 December 2003
Well I knew Id like it but again wow.The blend of soulful music and the incredible chants just pick you up and defy you not to drift back in time and see a great people living life as it should be.You can almost feel the sadness and lament at their passing.
Wishes of Happiness is the real thing with Counterclockwise and Winter Ceremony not far behind.
In fact no track disappoints.No matter what your tastes in music this is a must buy cd.Just sit back at the end of a long day and drift with it.You can't lose.Quite brilliant.
on 11 November 2004
I loved the first album but this is brilliant and I can't stop listening to it. I can't wait for Volume 3 to come out. As money raised from the sale helps our brothers and sisters in America it is a good cause. I can't fault this one at all. Strong instrumentals and haunting voices. This has it all.
on 27 November 2008
this is sooooooooo cool! i love this album, am about to buy the 2nd one, some tracks were more like native club music! not a chill out albumn but very uplifting for the soul! i have listened to it alot and is my fave new age albumn out of about 20, i know the lyrics but dunno wot it means ha,i want more of this please, cya
on 24 April 2008
As someone who is proud to have Red blood (!) I find this actually not too bad. This is NOT Native American-recorded, however, "Brave" makes no secret of the fact he is Austrian, and the music is not offensive.
In fact, it is a slightly New Agey mix of Native chanting and singing, with flute, sampling of birds occasionally, all against a backing track which is thoughtfully and at times very skillfully put together.

Suitable for everything from headphones while you read, quiet music as you have a nap, calming music to relax boisterous small children, to background music for gift/book shops and Alternative Therapists.

However, volume 2 is better!
on 29 July 2006
Right, first let's make one thing clear - ignore the Amazon review, it's psycho babble. Here's an example. '"Elsewhere, synthetic elements are overwhelming, detracting from a song's essence, as with the spongy nervosity of "Elevation".' Spongy nervosity? What does that mean? What does it tell you about the music?

There isn't a bad track on this CD, and who cares if traditional native american music has been watered down by the addition of contemporary instruments and arrangements -it works, leave it at that. The tracks are all credited to "The Fearsome Brave", but no further information is given, so one must assume that this work is by a native american producer who wants to make his (or her) traditional music more accessible to "western" ears. A fine job he (or she) has done with it. The modern arrangements complement the often haunting vocals, and in my view, each one does a great job at setting the mood of the particular song or chant it's been mixed with. Straight away it becomes apparent whether this track is "sad" or that track is "uplifting" (another psycho babble word - what's wrong with happy?)

I heard Wishes of Happiness and Prosperity (Yeha-Noha) on British prime time radio in the late 90's, bought the album on the strength of that alone, and I'm happy to report it was money well spent. It matters not whether you perceive yourself to be a fan of New Age music, Native American music, World music or Tribal music, ignore the reviewers, do your ears a favour, give any of the tracks a listen (and Amazon have even been kind enought to let you preview them on the site) then buy the album. You won't regret it.
on 22 June 2009
I would not get hung up about others suggesting this album isn't REAL American Indian music. This is a fusion album - and it excels at this. Most importantly, the album maintains sufficient purity of it's source material so you don't get lost in to a medley. We should realise that this is a cosmopolitan world of numerous cultures so the meeting of two through music should not be criticised - unless done badly!!
on 1 October 2015
Not sure how I missed this in 1994. I vaguely remember billboard posters using the same cover art as the CD, i.e. the photo of the 'American Indian' staring out around that time (scarily 21 years ago).
It takes a few 'listens' before this then really gets under your skin. It's fantastic music to drive to, while pondering what the chanting means ; the tragic destruction of peoples of an ancient civilisation, I believe is the theme.

A note about Track 5 : for me the stand out track, it is stunning and beautiful, but there is not a single track that is not of a high quality.

Quite a few tracks are underlined by some deeply moving Cello (I think it's Cello).

This music could be categorised as New Age. Some of it is reminiscent of Enigma's sounds, though I have to say, even though I quite like Enigma, there is something to this composition by Claus Zundel that has more depth, quality, emotion and meaning - can't easily put this into words.

I don't give out 5 stars like so much confetti, but this I feel deserves the full set. Can't wait to listen to this on a proper hi-fi system.

It's inspired me to look into the undoubtedly tragic story that lead to modern day North America - Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee at the top of my reading list.
on 1 August 2003
The music is a magnificent combination of American Indian chanting and modern music which only serves to enhance and not change the music. The beat is brilliant and leaves you feeling uplifted, happy and relaxed all at once. This is something I have waited a looong time for without even realising it!
ENJOY!!!!!