Format: Audio CDChange

on 6 November 2003
Excellent - what a way to remember the decade and one of its strangest yet strangely influential artists.
HJ made Synth-type music slower...and it worked. Whats more, some of his lyrics (that I didn't pay much attention to originally) are actually very good.
Thoroughly enjoyed it. It's an occasional long drive play more than anything else, but its worth the blast from the past alone.
on 4 October 2010
I recently went to see HJ play a live set and he was outstanding. I loved his stuff in his mid-80s heyday but I was too broke back then to pay to see him perform. I was inspired after the gig to purchase this collection, and despite a few forgettable fillers towards the end of the album this is a superb collection. From his breakout 1983 hit the buoyant and irrepressible 'New Song', to the effervescent and mature 'Everlasting Love' which was his last noticeable singles hit in 1989, this CD has every song any HJ fan will ever need. Terrific.
on 2 December 1999
This album had my memories of the 80's flooding back. Howard Jones is *the* master on the keyboard, playing some of the catchious melodies known to man. How can anyone forget classics such as 'New Song', 'What Is Love?', 'Like To Get Know You Well' and 'Look Mama'! This album is worth every penny, go and buy it.
on 23 September 2013
Forget S.Cowell and all the other music killers, switch off X-Factor , switch off The Voice and listen to a real voice.
I put the cd on and almost everyone in the room knew every word to the tracks , no one says they didnt like it.
The room lit up with smiles , how often does that happen ?

This is a great collection of H.J.'s greatest hits with all the classics included.

I wonder what Jez is upto now he's no longer in chains
on 13 December 2015
Zoverstocks ARE NOT "VERY GOOD". READ ON...
Stated CD quality is dubious from the stated "Very Good". Six CD's ordered together late Saturday night/Sunday morning. Expected all six to e sent together. Got one after a few days, the other five arrived together in a pack that would have held six, go figure? Duran Duran CD a lot of minor scratches plays fine (not very good). Howard Jones CD some minor scratches plays fine (suitable for very good). Aerosmith CD is very good with the jewel case protected by it's card outer sleeve. Madness CD has quite few minor scratches but has one major one. So far it plays ok but I have not listened to all tracks fully. has cracked jewel case. Human league CD again some scratches and cracked jewel case. The last CD was Adam Ant, cracked jewel case again, but what the hell was on the CD. Imagine a teething child with food in one hand and this cd in the other. Give it half an hour and the child has eaten food, sucked cd, repeat process, child confused tries to eat cd, eats more food, repeats process a few times, parent finds child removes cd and places back in jewel case as is and zoverstocks send it to me. Cd was covered in food both sides with dried liquid/saliva. I could not tell condition of cd surface as I could not see it. I had to wash the cd to remove the deposits and it was left to air dry. After drying the cd has many surface scratches (or teeth marks if I am right) but no serious ones hence as far as I can tell it plays fine. Considering the enormous variation in quality, the "Very Good" statement should be taken with a pinch of salt. It should be replaced with pot luck or plays fine (baby food excluded of coarse). Had to post service review here on the items as it is too long for a seller review.
on 14 November 1999
This album will bring all those memories of the 80s flooding back to you in one easy swoop. A genius on the keyboard, Howard Jones' hits on this album just keep coming one after another. Favourite of the album is Like To Get To Know You Well as it gives a feeling of togetherness and tenderness. These songs tend to uplift you and will bring you out from a bad mood especially tracks such as Life In One Day and New Song. All Howard Jones fans should have this in their collection!
on 13 April 2012
I saw Howard live in concert, in Sheffield last night, he was brilliant. 2hrs on stage. I forgot how many great hits he had. Howard was one pop star, who defined 80's music,and made it great, with his catchy synth based pop. Memories flooded back, with each song, to a time when music was music, my ex girlfriends, the pubs and clubs of Sheffield, long gone, but always in my heart, The 80's.

This album compilation is excellent, and includes all the classic hits. If your into Synthesizers as I am, and love electronic pop music. Look no further. A must album for 80's music fans. Seeing him in concert, and so close to the stage, you got the feeling that if you had a chance to talk to him you would get on. He was a gentleman, who appreciates his fans very much, and loves to interact with the audience. So, buy the album, chill out and give your ears and soul a treat. You'll soon be dancing around the room, if you still can, Be careful we're getting on a bit, and relive all those, wonderful memories of a magical time, when things were really cool.
on 22 July 2013
Did not know a lot of the songs but as it was cheap I thought it was worth it rather than paying for each mp3 I liked. Other tracks were instantly forgettable for me. The Autorip version is annoying as I am not a massive fan and it is the live version of the album. Hopefully Amazon will sort that out one day.
on 9 October 2013
I was pleased with this Cd it replaces some lost tracks. The Cd was very good condition for a "used copy". As a collection I am pleased with this but It has firmed my resolve to replace my original vinyl albums.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 August 2015
A distinctively 1980s artist with a lot of charm, Howard Jones chalked up an impressive chain of pop hits throughout the decade. This successful 'Best Of' package contains a glorious helping of key singles and album cuts which Howard recorded on the Warner label from 1983 - 1992, making it a very comprehensive compilation.

Although the material here relies very heavily on the 1980s synth-pop sound, it's also soulful, melodic and warm. I find this rather refreshing, and it makes Howard stand out a little from some of his contemporises. He has a great voice, and not only does the music sound good, you should also take a real listen to this man's lyrics because he can certainly write a good song. My favourites are 'What Is Love?', which has words that I am certainly able to relate to, the bouncy and addictive 'Things Can Only Get Better', and the excellent 'Everlasting Love', which should have been a much bigger hit than it was in the UK.

In terms of a 'Best Of', this 18 track album is very good, and a fine introduction to the work of Howard Jones, one of the most appealing pop artists of the 1980s. Some of the tunes I do regard as filler, especially towards the end, but the great songs do out way the unmemorable.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse