Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 May 2001
This album is the perfect introduction to Prince for anyone who's been considering buying one of his albums. From start to finish the album is breathtaking, and as varied in style as we would expect from this multi-talented artist. This was the first Prince album I ever bought, and now I'm hooked. However, even if you don't see yourself buying all of his albums (and there are too many!) this should still be sitting in your CD collection. A purchase of this and the "Purple Rain" soundtrack is the perfect introduction to this musical genius.
on 8 May 2005
If I was stuck on a desert island this is the CD I'd hope I'd packed. As a 10 year old someone gave me it and I looked at it with an upturned nose but from the glorious opening of When Doves Cry there's a song for every mood on this compilation. Prince is a musical genius - especially when it comes to writing. He takes an emotion you're feeling and verbalises it so you think "YEAH! EXACTLY!" Thus, if you're new to Prince you'll be surprised that he wrote the original Nothing Compares 2u - made famous by Sinead O'Connor - this version is completely different, a heart-wrenching soulful lament with closer than close Rosie Gaines, that will make you ache to be in love like that. Fans of the recent 80's revival will love Uptown, Let's Go Crazy, 1999 and Prince's version of Chaka Khans I Feel for You. There are sexy songs (Alphabet Street, Soft and Wet) and sultry love songs (Pink Cashmere, Diamonds and Pearls). This CD is a fantastic introduction to the great man and if you like this but you're still not sure about him definitely get The Hits 2, because his albums may be a little too much for everyone. I think this album clearly shows why so many singers today use Prince's lyrics (Beyonce in Jay-z's Bonnie and Clyde) and so many are copying his style (the recent Freestylers song: Push Up).
on 16 November 1999
WOW - What can I say, Prince is definitely one of the all time greatest Pop sensations. This album which is a compilation of some of his greatest hits (it's part of a three-disc box set) covers 18 titles, of which 12 of them are very well known favourites from Prince. A few of the hottest titles include ; "When doves cry", "Let's go crazy", "Nothing compares 2 U", "Alphabet Street", "Diamonds and pearls" and the presently popular "1999". There are absolutely no fillers on this album and it includes songs from the past 2 decades. It is a great party album and a must have for all music collections!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 April 2016
Containing a selection of the man's biggest hits and beginning with the song that started it all off for him in a big way, 'When Doves Cry', 'The Hits 1' is a fabulous compilation.

Most of the versions here are 7" edits but in a lot of ways that actually adds to the appeal as most long term fans will have all of the album & extended versions already. What I particularly like though about this album is the way that it has been compiled to sound like an album in its own right. There are funky moments along the way ('Alphabet Street' to name but one) and most of the songs here were singles but the inclusion of little known b sides like ,'Pink Cashmere' (Prince doing a decent Barry White impression!) from time to time adds to the spice and proves how prolific a writer of great songs Prince was.

All in all, 'The Hits 1' is well worth a purchase - especially if you are just a casual fan or have just discovered the artist (unlikely I know, but in the wake of his death its possible!).
on 24 February 2000
If you ask many people what they think of Prince, they dismiss him as some weirdo who renamed himself 'squiggle'. However they fail to acknowledge that out of the last twenty five years of pop culture he is arguably the most multi-talented artist of them all. He is relentless in the studio, plays every instrument under the sun, composes virtually all his music, is electrifying on tour and, on the whole, true to his fans. Many people who don't even like Prince own one of his singles or albums. If you've never listened to him, start here. It's PHAT.
on 28 February 2015
Back in the 1980s pop music writers, from silly glossies such as Smash Hits through to dour inkies like the NME, wrote purple prose on this pint-sized pop star. Though I have never completely shared their enthusiasm for his mix of sex and funk (and rock and roll), this 18 song CD - that covers the period between 1978 and 1993 - gives me some pause for thought, as it contains a fairly reasonable selection of his biggest hits from that era, including: 'When Doves Cry'; '1999'; 'Sign 'O' The Times', and 'Alphabet Street'.

Still, it isn't quite as good as its counterpart The Hits 2, as it doesn't live up to its title - a few tracks that weren't actually single releases are included here ('Adore' and 'I Feel For You'), and the new material - the ballad 'Pink Cashmere' and a live version of 'Nothing Compares 2 U' - seems like a flawed marketing ploy as they are unlikely to bolster his legacy. Their inclusion is all the more baffling when successful singles, such as 'Girls & Boys' and 'My Name Is Prince', didn't make the cut here.
on 7 September 2012
I got this album 7 years ago when I was 12 from a store and it made me a prince fan from the moment I'd listen to it and now that I use amazon I can get all of the prince collection. This is a great album of all prince greatest hits I highly recommend that you get this as its got all of the emotions and funky music. Its an amazing album, I got the one with all the greatest hits 1, 2 and 3 together when I have purchased it.
on 4 October 2013
One of the most prolific artists around. At first it seemed a little strange that prince would release 2 albums as his hits... I mean does he really have that many... and the answer is yes. Admittedly there were a fair few that I had hadn't head before but it was definitely worth buying both CD's to get a good comprehensice Prince collection.
on 19 November 2014
Prince has such a large back catalogue and such a huge variety of styles (could also be described as 'hit and miss') its impossible to like everything on here. Half of its good and half of Hits 2 is good.

At these prices I bought them both and just did my own compliation
on 29 October 2013
I bought thia for my dad as he loves prince he absolutly loves it as it has all of his favorote songs on it, i am very happy and surprised for the price :) HAPPY :)