on 22 April 2013
My college didn't offer this version of the book and only the older versions. I have all the other most recent module books so I wanted to purchase the D1 version. I find this an essential textbook if you're taking the Decision 1 exam because it has worked examples of the different algorithms and it helped me understand certain topics that my teacher struggled to teach us! And for me I do work better with textbooks in colour which is one reason why I bought this version instead of using the old black and white edition. The only reason it doesn't get 5 stars is because this textbook and the other module versions have typos in certain parts, like in the answers or in questions. But I must admit it isn't as bad as the FP1 book for typos! Would recommend for anyone taking the Edexcel D1 exam.
on 30 May 2013
If you are self-teaching, defo buy this book.
I've just sat my D1 exam, and with the help of this book im pretty sure I will come out with an A.
There are a few typos in this book, but just do a simple 'google' with the question and there are answers online, mainly studentrooms.
on 6 January 2012
This series of books for the EDEXCEL course are, in general, very good. I have taught myself a lot of modules purely from these text books. How ever, some advice for anyone planning to do it with Decision 1:
1. This book has a LOT of waffle, you will waste so much time if you try and finish all of this book because it's not necessary at all. Skip most of the questions, move on when you're good with a topic.
2. There are a lot of mistakes in this book as another review mentioned - if your answer disagrees with the book then use the internet to double check it.
3. A lot of marks in Decision 1 come from the ability to correctly format your answers, make sure you pay attention to the sections of the book that show you how to do this correctly.

I like these text books a lot but in my opinion this one is the weak link, personally I would stick to Statistics / Mechanics after having tried them all. Good luck.
on 16 November 2012
We bought this book as a copy of my son's school text book so that he didn't have to lug it back and forth to school. It is clear, well laid out and seems to explain things well. Answers to problems are in the back.
on 16 February 2014
An Excellent Book That Covers D1 Topics comprehensively and is straight forward to follow. It's well worth the money and will guide you respectively right through to the D1 examination.
on 15 June 2014
Very good, with clear explanations, plenty of worked examples, problems that are tailored to the exam, and answers also included.
on 13 November 2010
I'm using this book for my A level maths course and have never before come across a textbook with so many mistakes. All through the examples, practice questions and answers there are basic mistakes, mainly arithmatical. How can a textbook endorsed by the exam board be so embarrasingly peppered with errors. The author should spend some time practising her arithmatic before venturing into A level territory and failing that perhaps employ a proof reader. Edexcel should be ashamed to put their name to this.
on 27 September 2011
I have to agree with both reviews. The book is good in a sense that it is clearly laid out with step by step example questions which is very useful. However, the down side is that there ARE lots of mistakes in the book aswell, especially with answers to questions which are found at the back.But don't let that put you off, as I'm using for my Alevels despite the mistakes.
on 15 November 2010
The person above does not have a clue. The book is absolutely fine. The are no mathematical mistakes what so ever. Do not hesitate to but the book, clearly he does not know how to understand algorithms. The book is great when it comes to examples, and the questions are harder than exam questions, so they make great preperation
on 22 April 2013
received the book very quickly and didn't cost too much. The CD is great and there are lots of very good examples. Recommend it for any Edexcel D1 course.