Format: Audio CDChange

on 9 April 2007
3 of Alan Bennett`s short plays including 2 of his favourite leading ladies , Dame Thora and Patricia Routledge. I had read the first two before , the third , a dialogue between himself and Dame Judi Dench was a stranger to me . This collection is classic Bennett at it`s very best -- a joy to listen to . Hopefully more of his early works will find their way onto disc soon.
0Comment118 of 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 November 2009
Alan Bennett is the master of observation of the querkiness of people and situations. The 3 tales in the triple bill are wonderful examples of this, made even more enjoyable by the superb selection of the casts of these mini radio plays.
A joy to listen to.
on 28 September 2009
Three short stories written and adapted into mini plays by the author,Alan Bennett. Each play takes an unexpected turn of events which leave the listener thinking and amused by the outcome. I have listened to this disc several times and always enjoy.
This collection of three two-handers is as good as the two series of "Talking Heads", and stylistically in similar mould. As always, the plots have a twist in the tail, and the casting is perfect - all the actors are Bennett regulars, including Bennett himself. The first two stories, though with comic moments, have serious undertones of unfulfilled wishes and nostalgia (again typical Alan Bennett) whereas the last is pure black comedy.

Another gem from possibly the most literate and entertaining author in Britain today.
0Comment38 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 February 2009
A trilogy of very amusing, poignant stories, starring Patricia Routledge, Judi Dench, Hugh Lloyd, Imelda Staunton, Thora Hird, Brian Wilde, and even the author himself, Alan Bennett. Many 'laugh out loud' moments and a tonic after a hard day's work!
0Comment32 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 December 2011
I put it onto my Ipod and a flight never seemed so short. It not only gives you an excellent picture of the time but you also want to keep listening in order to find out what happens to all the characters. - And who could describe it better than Alan Bennet?
on 24 May 2011
A good bargain : three Bennett pieces for the one price.
He's such a talented writer : and these stories are no exception,
with his usual humour,humility and acutely observed situations that we can all relate to.

Thankfully, though I'd ordered the CD late, the package arived early, in time to give as a gift.
on 1 June 2011
Thanks again Alan.
I don't feel worthy to review your stuff. I just listened to it and really, really enjoyed it. Cheers.
on 16 December 2011
What can you say about Alan Bennett? He just observes human life and reproduces all our idiosyncracies to perfection. It's on my iPod and I have listened to it several times. There are some wonderful moments - especially from Thora Hird, God bless her. Alan Bennett can make you laugh out loud one minute and cry the next. Don't miss it.
on 30 January 2013
I thought it was going to be read like a story, but it was acted out like a play, we listened to it in the car and my husband who's Christmas present really enjoyed it