on 27 April 2014
This magazine is for adults to read rather than for a child to follow.

IF you want to work through things with your child (or your child to work themselves possible for a tween/teen) I would go for adventures in raspberry pi
on 21 November 2013
Aimed at parents/grandparents - I am in the latter group - considering buying a Pi for their kids. It tells you what it is, what you need to get it going and what it does/doesn't do, with detailed procedures, written in an easy style which leads you gently into the inevitable code you will have to write to get it to a usable state. I have worked with computers since the 1980's, am familiar with UNIX, C, Java, PHP etc. and still needed the instructions in this book to get my Pi up and running.
If you are thinking about buying a Pi, read this book first, then work out what extras you will need for your particular situation, for example, the Pi is designed to connect to a TV, not a monitor. If you decide to get one, you can then use the examples in this book to set it up, then give the book to the kids and let them take over.
Two languages are covered in detail - Scratch and Python. Scratch is aimed at younger children and teaches the fundamentals of programming by dragging and dropping jigsaw pieces into position, whereas Python is a proper programming tool for creating apps and has quite a steep learning curve. Both these languages, especially Python, are covered in detail with examples. I came across a couple of annoying typos, but apart from this they can be typed in and work ok.
11 comment47 of 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 October 2013
This is a clearly written and comprehensive guide to the Raspberry Pi. It covers everything from plugging the Pi in and installing an operating system on SD card to using it to run iPlayer on your tv and writing complex games. It's hard to see why it's particularly "for kids", apart from the fact that kids are famously better at understanding technology than their parents are. This is the first book I've read on the Pi and gives me the confidence to order one and get programing. It puts me in mind of the good old days of the BBC micro (so clearly I'm no kid)!
0Comment44 of 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 February 2014
I got this for my son. He struggled with the language. The first few chapters were OK, but didn't explain everything clearly. After that the chapters were disjointed - they were clearly taken directly from magazine articles for adults. I have since purchased "Adventures In Raspberry Pi" which is a lot clearer.
0Comment33 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 September 2014
The title of this book I very misleading. It is very definitely not for kids! The language used is not at all child friendly and as another reviewer has observed, an example of a tax calculating spreadsheet is hardly relevant to a child. There is also a massive tendency to use commands without explaining what they mean. This will simply encourage kids to treat computers as mysterious boxes with very little understanding of what is happening inside them. Surely not he objective of the RPi project.
on 2 November 2014
This book needs to be revised.

The raspberrypi.org downloads have all changed since this was published and I had to do a lot of reading on their forum to find out how to get NOOBS to work.

I got the media player working, but not iPlayer. The downloads for that have all been depracated and no longer work!

It is definitely not a book for kids. Teenagers maybe...

I have been working in IT for 30 years and know some unix and I struggled at times!
on 10 December 2013
This magazine is great - not just for kids, any novice to RaspberryPi. I bought it at Sainsbury's for £7.99, used it to set my Pi up as a NAS, and I'm now listening to music that I'm streaming from the Pi to my wi-fi speakers. Going to buy another and use it as a video streaming device for watching films. My laptop will be free from both of these tasks. All instructions to do this are in this magazine. I know you can find the info online, but this is simple, and saves time searching for entry-level instructions.
on 27 January 2014
I bought this to give to an 11 year old to get him up and running with a Pi we gave him for Christmas. The overall idea is good, but it is full of little niggly errors and typos. These don't matter too much in the text as you can guess what should have been written, but there are also errors in some of the code, for example the code to run Minecraft doesn't work as written in this guide, there is a missing ./ before one of the command lines. This led to some extreme disappointment from the aforementioned 11 year old, and we had to Google to find the correct code, which rather makes this pointless. With a little more attention to detail this would have done the job, as it stands its really really frustrating.
11 comment17 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 April 2014
This is an excellent guide to starting out with the Raspberry Pi; I just have no idea why it claims to be "for kids". Neither the content nor the presentation are particularly child-friendly. For example, one of the projects is creating a spreadsheet to calculate your tax - don't know about anyone else, but that's not remotely relevant to my 10-year-old.

I'm sure I'll use this book a fair bit, and then show the kids what I've learned. I'm just a bit disappointed that this isn't a book they'll want to use themselves.
on 9 January 2016
We bought this book for my son hoping it further his computing knowledge and we discovered that it wasn't for kids at all, it was for people with an infinite attention span who do not mid being bored to death while achieving basically nothing.
When My son finally persevered which the book he discovered that the code is outdated and useless. Basically none of the projects worked which is annoying as the whole point of this book is to make the pi do many things instead of the one that it actually does. The on thing it does do is say 'command not recognised'.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse