I very nearly didn't buy this book due to the negative comments on here. I am quite fussy about cookbooks and like a certain format of 1 recipe per page accompanied with a photo. When I saw all the comments about the expensive and unusual ingredients, I had images of pigs cheeks, fois gras, sea urchin etc etc.

I have now read every recipe through and I would say that for the average cook, the BBC Good Food readers, or Delia/Jamie fans amongst us, this book has nothing unusual in it. In fact, the first recipe I made, the Teriyaki Chicken was delicious and found a use for the bottle of Mirin I had unused in my cupboard. I didn't have any Sake though, so I improvised with Grappa....I guess vodka would do the trick too.....it was delicious, super simple and the kids loved it.

I can't wait to try some of the other dishes, as I read them through I was thinking 'yum yum' to most of them.

Some of the ingredients you might have to buy specially (such as mirin) but once it is in your cupboard you could use it again, and it certainly wasn't expensive!

So do give it a try, it has inspired me to try the 5:2 diet again because when I had a brief dabble with it before I relied on eggs and yoghurt!
11 comment217 of 222 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 July 2013
An easy to follow, delicious healthy recipes. Although I feel hungry at lunchtime, the suppers are filling, and the diet works
0Comment33 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 June 2013
The best book I have ever bought. Bought it four months ago and have already lost two stone. Anyone who struggles with losing weight should try it.
0Comment63 of 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Both my wife and myself are doing this diet and after three weeks we have both lost 9 pounds. The book has some great recipes and good information about the diet. I must admit though that I did see it cheaper in my local supermarket.
0Comment23 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 October 2013
Good clear instructions with plenty of meal suggestions. I've lost 11 Kg already. My wife & I use our 500 & 600 cals allowance at breakfast & evening meal only, skipping lunch -- this seems to work better.
0Comment48 of 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 April 2013
The only cookery book I now need! Lovely pictures too. Will make fast days - and normal days - so much easier now.
0Comment37 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 May 2013
Lovely book to help me with my fast days and non fast days. Beautiful pictures and easy to follow instructions. Recipes I've made so far have been delicious, especially the lightweight cottage pie, never had tried celeriac before but what a surprise, even my husband liked it. I would recommend this book even if you haven't got the original fast day diet book as all the rules and guidelines of fasting are explained fully at the beginning of this book. Very useful index at back as recipes are in order of calorie count, great for when you've cheated a little and need a quick scan to find a meal within your remaining calorie quota. Very happy I bought this book and well worth the money.
0Comment155 of 177 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 November 2013
There are lots of recipes in this book and I am sure they are all delicious but there are a lot of ingredients I had never heard of and would find difficult to obtain in my local supermarket. Taking this into account I didn't find it all that helpful. Easy to obtain local ingredients would be much more helpful.
on 30 April 2013
Some very nice, simple and easy recipes which are helping me not just on my Fast Days! Have recommended to friends.
0Comment34 of 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 August 2015
Fantastic. This book is to normal diet recipe books, as the 5:2 diet is to normal diets - a complete and welcome change. Beautiful recipes which are so good that I will use them on non-fast days too. It's really well structured - the recipes go up from lowest to highest calorie count in each section. If like me, you do the 5:2 diet precisely because you love good food, this book reminds you that you can still really enjoy your meals on fast days. As you'd expect, there are lots of fish/ poached egg/ pulses recipes in here, but also low-fat meatballs, baked pork tenderloin with fennel, and simple things like 'spinach, sorrel and nutmeg' which could be enjoyed on their own or with a piece of fish on top.

You have to eat, and no diet that makes food feel like a sin is worth following. This book makes even fast days a real pleasure, and I recommend it heartily.