Format: Audio CDChange

David Sedaris: Live For Your Listening Pleasure consists of David Sedaris reading five of his essays. Cat and Baboon is one of his animal fables, a cat being groomed at the baboon's salon before a party; Author, Author details some of Sedaris's book tours, including a hilarious visit to CostCo; Innocence Abroad, a hysterical piece on people who pronounce foreign names "authentically"; Laugh, Kookaburra is an amusing description of his visit to Australia, his interaction with a kookaburra and the childhood reminiscences that ensued; and Diary Entries, random diary entries detailing some more of his interactions with book tour attendants, and observations on his travels. Sedaris manages to do hilarious and poignant at the same time. Reading Sedaris is unadulterated pleasure: listening to him read his work doubles the pleasure.
0Comment48 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 December 2010
What can I say? David Sedaris is a writer of comedy that is erudite, interwoven with the small tragedies and absurdities of life, an observer of people and nuance pas excellence. This CD, where the voice of the author makes the experience complete, is unmissable. Lovers of intelligently written observational comedy can buy with confidence.
0Comment87 of 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 December 2013
It took me a while to get around to this review as my partner and I hadn't played it until this Christmas period when we took it to play in the car as we travelled around the country visiting relatives. We are both big fans of this writer since we first heard him on Radio 4. His readings are great - plenty of expression and perfect timing but without the affectations that actors can often bring to the reading of talking books. Unfortunately I'd heard a few of these recordings on Radio 4 before but they easily withstand repeated listenings. In short, wonderful stories beautifully read.
on 28 November 2012
He might not be to everyone's taste but I just love David Sedaris and this CD of various live recordings is excellent and offers a good sample of what he does best. I first heard him on a radio broadcast recorded in front of a live audience and actually prefer these live performances to the studio narrations of some other of his audio CDs.
on 30 August 2011
A perfect cd for a car journey! These are amusing and touching stories beautifully read.It's a pleasure to have a spoken word cd you can listern to again and again.
on 27 January 2014
First heard of this author/comedian on Radio 4 Extra and he had me in absolute stitches. He is a gay american comic, quite quiet in his narrative but his "essays" quite often include his family but are so rich and down to earth that I found myself thinking many times "that's so true" or "I think like that", his one liners are a joy. Would I say this is dry american humour mmm... not sure but whatever you may call it he has loads of it and so well worth a listen.
on 22 February 2014
He has me in subtle stitches.super observations.all very different themes.I want more of this funny man.why is he not better known in U.k.Odd.
on 14 April 2013
Bought as a birthday gift which the recipient has greatly enjoyed. would strongly recommend to anyone who is a fan.
on 14 December 2013
David Sedaris is as amusing as ever. It is good to note that he looks nothing like the picture on the sleeve!
on 9 December 2011
I like David Sedaris' sense of humour and this is my second CD - he just amuses me on long car journies.