on 1 June 2010
A Christmas Carol is the classic story of how a bitter miser called Ebenezer Scrooge gets re-habilitated after being visited by three ghosts. The Ghosts' of Christmas Past, Present and Future show him visions of his life and of his influence on the lives of others. On seeing things as they truly are Scrooge changes his whole outlook on the world.
The first time I came across this book it was a bridged version meant for children and as I got older I read the full story. It was the first Dickens book I read and I'm glad to say it wasn't the last. I never get tired of this story. I read it every Christmas and even though it has been thirty years since I first read it, Christmas Eve wouldn't be the same without this little indulgence.
You may think that because you have seen one of the numerous adaptations of this story that it doesn't really matter if you read the original. Don't make that mistake I beg you; this is one treat you shouldn't miss.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 November 2009
If you wish to own only one version of this timeless tale, make it this one. I have a number of different editions and this is the most lavishly illustrated one I have ever seen. The gorgeous pictures, which look wonderfully Victorian, capture the very essence of each character as described by Dickens. This would make the perfect gift at Christmas.

I have a tradition of reading 'A Christmas Carol' every December, as it is my all-time favourite Dickens story.

With Dickens' words and the wonderfull illustrations, this is an edition to treasure for years to come.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Since its first publication in 1843, the popularity of Charles Dickens' ghostly novella about redemption at Christmas has remained constant.

This means that the potential purchaser of an audiobook of a Christmas Carol is spoilt for choice. Alternative versions by the likes of Martin Jarvis, Patrick Stewart, David Jason, Anton Lesser and Geoffrey Palmer are available, so why should anybody bother with this one?

In two words ... Tom Baker.

His rich, expressive and instantly familiar voice is perfectly suited to this material. As a long time admirer of the works of Dickens, Baker is more than able to wring every drop of humour and pathos from the finely crafted prose.

Unlike some other versions, this is unabridged, so you can enjoy the complete story. Highly recommended, this is sure to become a Christmas favourite in many households.
VINE VOICEon 6 December 2011
If you are interested in owning a facsimile version of this classic book, or perhaps you want to give it as a gift then I can't recommend this version enough.

I was unsure when I first ordered this version as the picture and description didn't give much away, other than it was printed as the original was on first publishing and it contained the iconinc John Leech designs. However I am over the moon with the presentation of this book. First of all it comes encased in a hard and durable slip case (with the picture you see in the description above printed on the cover). I was glad to see it was not a flimsy card slip case but something that looked nice and will protect the actual book.

Inside the slip case is a red hard back book (small in size, about fifteen-sixteen centimetres in length)with bevelled holly decorations around the outside and a gold embossed holly design in the middle with the title. The spine also features this gold embossed design. It looks absolutely wonderful. The pages have been gold leafed for that extra touch and inside the pages use the original typeface and designs from David Leach. There's a preface to the book which makes an intersting read including Charles Dickens handwritten preface and drafts. Perhaps best of all is the wonderful illustrations and wood cuttings throughout from John Leech, wonderfully printed here on quality paper.

The story is also as the original was (there have been many abridged and altered versions). We all know the story by now, but for the young who may not I can't think of a better gift to receive than this. It will be cherished for a long time by me and I'm sure many others who purchase it. For the price it's an absolute bargain.
review image review image
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2012
Absolutely beautiful book the cover is stunning as are the illustrations and the stories are of course wonderful. Would recommend this to anyone.
on 17 June 2007
If you have never read 'A Christmas Carol' by Charles Dickens, this would be an excellent introduction to a timeless story.

If you already own any copy of the book, add this one too. As it is probably one of the most sumptious copies around. Thick glossy pages and beautiful illustrations, make this a joy for years to come!

I collect different print versions of Dickens' books, and this without a doubt is one of the lovliest I have ever seen.
Get it and make it part of your holiday season.
on 24 November 2012
Format: Audio CDVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
To be frank, I would not describe Tom Baker as "Sonorous". Of those who have assayed the role of Dickens' grasping, covetous old sinner Ebenezer Scrooge I would say that Patrick Stewart was "Sonorous".
This tale of a miserly and yes, tragic man's redemption and conversion by supernatural means must be familiar to nearly everbody by now; it is my favourite story, especially when the evenings lengthen and the nights grow chill. I have seen many film versions; I have heard Bransby William's celebrated if abbreviated version across three 12" 78 rpm sides.... and now let me review Tom Baker's excellent reading of the full text of "A Christmas Carol"
This is not a dramatisation, but a full reading (even as Dickens might have done in public) of the text with the merest trifle of atmospheric music and effects to add a festive seasoning.
Listening to it I felt like a child again, being told a story by a favourite uncle; Tom Baker does provide a slight variation of his usual voice for dialogue from different principals (although Jacob Marley did recall Henry Crun to an extent) but the sensation of raptly sitting by firelight was palpable, and I was enthralled.
I know this story well, yet Dickens' words seemed new.....
Can this tale really be 175 years old, set in a world alien to most readers experience and still resonate in the human breast? Yes, yes and... yes.

An excellent tale told by an excellent raconteur. BRAVO!
VINE VOICEon 26 November 2007
A quick look for any Victorian novelist will quickly show that there are any number of versions of the classics available to suit any budget. As they all tell the same story in (mostly) the same words why wouldn't you just buy the cheapest? The answer is in editions like this one.

For a still very reasonable price you get a well made hardback that sits well when you read it and has great illustrations. As a way to get younger children engaged with a great author and a great story this is very effective (thought the Muppets get close as well!)

Highly recommended
on 1 December 2010
This book arrived in excellent condition and is a beatifully written book. The story is one that really grips young children, however, this book is not suitable, in my opinion for children under 10. The language is complex and a great many explanations would be required even for a 10 year old. With the best will in the world the magic in Dickens is in the writing and this can't really be watered down. I read reviews that stated this would be ok for 5 year olds, not so in my opinion. Great writing but wait until they're ready for it.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 May 2010
Having been put off Dickens by English Literature classes I was finally tempted to read this story and was very glad that I chose this copy.
If you've only ever seen the more popular film adaptations of this story then you'll be surprised at some of this story, as it has been altered a bit in the re-telling. This book has the original text and thankfully a glossary at the back explain some of the expressions used, as they have long since fallen out of use.
A slim book, but worth reading.