Format: HardcoverChange

on 14 August 2014
This book is amazing!!! I really couldn't get my head around aperture, ISO, depth of field etc etc, all seemed to complicated!!!! But this book is so easy to understand and it is just like being in a lesson! Bite size chunks of info and easy to understand . Absolutely no negatives for me about this book! Well done to the author!
0Comment21 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 September 2014
Dorling Kindersley has earned a justifiably good reputation for producing excellent books, and this is no exception.

The text is well-written, breaking down possibly daunting topics into simple, easy-to-follow steps. Even better, there are lots of photographs to illustrate the topics under discussion. After all, photography is a visual art; much better to have pictures which show "if you do X then the result is Y" rather than relying on dry and impenetrable words.

The book is written with Canon and Nikon users in mind (the largest market segment), but the instructions are easily adaptable to other makes of camera.

I would unhesitatingly recommend this book to anyone looking to get into photography.
on 19 September 2013
A very intuitive guide for amateur photographers who wish to expand their knowledge and obtain a basic theoretical background in photography. I really enjoyed reading it and i believe it helped me not only take better pictures but also enjoy the process much more. Highly recommended book, probably the best of 4 similar books that I purchased together.
11 comment15 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 July 2013
A great book for beginners who know nothing about cameras. I now understand the difference between SLR and bridge cameras and some of the basics for taking good pictures.
11 comment18 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 December 2015
I bought this book (I can admit it) because I didnt really know what I was doing including what camera to buy. This book and youtube have become my personal idiots guide to photography. I have always liked taking photos but have always edited them with photoshop rather than gaining the adequate data. This book was helpful from start to end. It explains the details needed to understanding photography.
It starts with the different types of cameras and the differences. It tells you how to hold a camera which may seem easy but now makes more sense. It explains about lenses, filters lighting etc. I would recommend before you do anything that you buy this book.
on 14 February 2014
This is a clear, concise and easy to follow book which is really helping me get the most out of my DSLR camera.

Would recommend it highly.
on 23 October 2013
For beginners like myself it's an excellent choice. I really learnt a lot about the piece of equipment I have in my hands and how to correctly use it.
22 comments11 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 December 2013
A well presented, useful book. Explanations and exercises are laid out together. Illustrations are well thought out and useful. Bought as a present and described in the 'thank you note' (by a 13 year-old, mind you) as 'wonderful'.
on 8 February 2014
Although aimed more to DSLR, my teen son has found this useful as a beginners guide for his Pentax bridge type camera and has put the book content into use. It is clearly laid out and not too wordy.
on 23 March 2014
Love this is book! It explains photography in layman terms, and easy to understand, especially for beginners. I Highly recommend it!!