One of the great things about Bill Bryson's books is his ability to grab your attention and draw you in to find out what odd fact he's going to come up with next. So I hadn't even got through the introduction when he came up with the gem about why all churches in Norfolk appear to have sunk into the churchyard (they haven't; it's the churchyard that has risen 3 ft or more because of the number of bodies buried there, which if you do the maths of how many people live in a parish, how many die each year, and how long the churchyards have been there is not so remarkable. And keep on reading to find out just how many bodies were buried in urban cemeteries in the Victorian era - quite astounding). He is also a great debunker of accepted truths - for instance, there's a lot of interesting comment about the widely accepted view that most food, especially bread, was adulterated with all sorts of disgusting and probably toxic substances. Bryson refers to somebody who tried baking bread with all these supposed adulterants, and showed that what was produced was actually inedible, with the exception of alum, which, he points out, if used in small quantities actually improves bread, and is also used nowadays as an additive to many products.

So once again I read this through with great enjoyment and picked up lots of little nuggets of the odd and the interesting. Having said that, however, I did find that I had a sense of deja vu about this book; many of the anecdotes it contains seem to have been recycled from some of his other books (I think that I can recognise quite a lot of them from "Made in America" for example, where they were hung about a framework of American language, rather than around the structure of his wanderings from room to room of his house in Norfolk). And there is rather a lot of anecdotage about very large houses in America which seemed to not have a great deal to do with history as seen through the lens of humble domesticity, which is what I thought the theme of the book was intended to be. Anyway, given the man's prodigious output (this is getting on for the same size a "A Short History of Everything") it wouldn't be surprising if he recycled some material.

But these are minor bits of carping, really, and if you are a more casual reader of Bryson probably won't affect you. It's an entertaining and informative book and well worth the reading.
on 8 April 2013
I've read all of his books, some like "Lost Continent" and "A Walk in the Woods" many times. This is the first one that I won't even keep. Nice concept - a history of the home and domestic life, based on his own rectory, but it's rambling and in large parts, I'm sorry to say, actually boring. Remember those school essays where you didn't know the topic, but had to write so many words anyway and every now and again you put in a bit to try and make it sound like it was about the title? This book is like that. A more accurate title would be 'Random Bits From British Social History With Bits About America So My Book Sells There Too'. Bryson's twin gifts of inducing laugh out loud laughter and getting to the real essence of something, are both completely missing in this book. It tries to be funny but isn't and neither is it "educational" in the way that "A Short History of Everything" was. Some of it is good of course, but far too little in a book this long. Tired, discredited "facts" are repeated and will be given a new lease of life. Anecdotes we've heard many times before, sometimes even in Bryson's other books, are recycled. Come on Bill, or Bill's editors perhaps, you can do better than this.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
In his phenomenally successful `A Short History of Nearly Everything', Bill Bryson presented a panorama of scientific and technological theories and discoveries, keeping rather closely to his brief. The title of the present book and the introduction suggests that he is going to repeat that exercise for the `home and private life', using the rooms in his own house, a Victorian rectory in rural Norfolk, as the pegs on which to hang the story. But a reader expecting to find a history of the evolution of the modern house and its contents will be disappointed, because the threads that link the rectory rooms, the names of which are the chapter headings, to the contents of the book are sometimes very tenuous indeed.

In the chapter headed `The Study', such a reader might reasonably have expected to find discussions of such things as the evolution of books in the home, or the history of cabinets of curiosities and other study furniture. Not a bit of it. In the Bryson rectory the room called the study is what most of us would call a junk room and for some reason is the only room where mouse traps do their job. This is the `excuse' for a review, that is the whole chapter, of rodents and creepy crawlies in the house, including a long discussion of the important role of bats in the ecosystem and brief history of man's attempts to eradicate them! This is an extreme example, but all the other chapters are full of digressions.

Does this mean that this book is therefore a failure? Not at all. As in `A Short History of Nearly Everything', the chapters are crammed full of interesting facts and amusing anecdotes written in Bryson's relaxed witty style that he has honed to perfection in his popular travel books. (The research has been vast - the selected bibliography is 28 pages long with a `full bibliography' available on the web.) They meander so far from their source that it is remarkable that somehow he manages to conclude each by returning to the rectory room that triggered the narrative. This is a light, but not lightweight, book, that can be read at one's leisure, because the chapters are essentially independent of each other. I greatly enjoyed it and if you accept that the book is not exactly what the title might imply, it would make an ideal summer holiday read.
on 15 March 2011
Bill Bryson is a big favourite in this house. Our bookcases are festooned with his works. I have learned much about my own country, about his country, about Shakespeare, and more.

I have laughed a lot, I have pondered a lot and I have admired this man a lot.

I have to be honest about this book. I did learn some fascinating facts, but the rambling, all-over-the-place nature of the book was tiring. I do not remember laughing, either.

The ultimate test is ..will I re-read? After all, I go back to his other stuff for a treat at intervals, even though have read it before.
Truthfully, I do not think I will get the urge to pick up this up again in the future.

Sorry. (But I WILL buy his next book.)
on 26 October 2010
First, the negatives. This book is billed as a "Short History of the Private Life". The premise is that Bryson takes you on a tour of his house (a Victorian rectory) room-by-room, chapter-by chapter and enlightens the reader with a history of the private life within the context of such room. Oddly Bryson fails to achieve this on two levels. Not only are the chapters barely reconcilable to the rooms they represent (e.g. a history of building materials for the Cellar; Victorian archaeologists for the attic)but also it seems lots of the material has very little to do with the 'private life' at all. Instead the reader is faced with a rambling history of anything that takes Bill's fancy. As such, I was left better educated on the history of Whaling, the science of ageing a tree by counting it's rings (dendrochronology), outbreaks of Cholera in London, and so on.

On the plus side, it was all very interesting and Bryson's writing is lively and entertaining. His digressions often left me wanting to read up more on a particular subject or individual. That being said, on finishing you are left with the feeling that you have been slightly conned into reading a completely different book to the one you were expecting.
on 25 May 2011
I should perhaps point out that I don't read non-fiction, however I always make an exception for Bill Bryson as I find his style of writing so enjoyable and easy to read. I was initially put off by the high Kindle price but decided to give it a go anyhow and I am very glad I did.

Once again Mr Bryson manages to make potentially dry subjects interesting and amusing. I thought it might be a book that I dipped in and out of while I read my usual fiction but the book proved so compelling that I read it straight through (although not in one sitting!).

The only criticism would be that I think my husband was ready to leave me because I was forever saying "listen to this...." or "wow - did you know....." and "I never knew that!"
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Is there anything Bill Bryson isn't interested in? He moves from one subject to the next with equal amounts of genuine enthusiasm. And we're not talking about just the really remarkable stuff - a lot of what gets Bryson going seems quite mundane. Mousetraps, for instance. Once he has you hooked, you too realize that even mousetraps are pretty fascinating after all.

There's no point looking for a theme to At Home, even though it's nominally a social history of the home, specifically Bryson's home, a former rectory in Norfolk, built in 1851. Going from room to room is just an excuse for Bryson to expound on whatever he finds interesting. It might be best to take the book as a series of loosely connected magazine articles or short essays. You can skip around without losing the thread, because there isn't one.

Most of the history is Victorian, but there are side trips to the prehistoric Britain, 19th century America, and the recent past. This is not an academic book, so there are no footnotes, which is a shame. Although Bryson usually credits sources within the text, now and then he makes an outrageous statement without attribution. One that had me scrambling for some supporting evidence was a claim that Elizabeth I admired, then scooped some silverware into her purse at dinner in a nobleman's house while on her annual royal progress. Even more remarkable was a statement that one third of all women in London aged 15-25 in 1851 were prostitutes. Really?! After browsing through the lengthy and excellent bibliography, I found the instruction to go to Bryson's website for notes and sources, but found only that they are "coming soon."

Chances are you won't be interested in everything that takes Bryson's fancy, but no worry. If you find your attention waning during a discussion of furniture varnishes, it isn't long before he's off to vitamins or Thomas Jefferson's wine collection or Ötzi the Ice Man.

I'll admit that I might have skipped this book if Bryson's name wasn't on the cover, and wondered if it could have been published at all without his name and popularity. His early works are still my favorites, more or less in the order they were written. The Lost Continent: Travels in Small Town America still makes me laugh, so does Neither Here Nor There: Travels in Europe, and Notes from a Small Island, and I'm a Stranger Here Myself (Notes from a Big Country). I expect I'll continue to read just about anything Bryson writes, but I have to agree with some other reviewers who look forward to his travel writing more than his excursions into weightier topics.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 28 May 2010
Having found his name attached to a number of diverse products this is Bryson's first "proper" book since the short history of nearly everything. Well he has made a fine attempt to fill in some of the gaps and has produced a fine, if eclectic, book. The premise of using fixtures and fittings around the home as a means of opening a discourse on a myriad topics is a novel one and one he pulls off as only he can. Sure there is a scattergun approach to this, how could there not be, but using the home as the focus of the many topics up for discussion here keeps the narrative on track and means that you are drawn from subject to subject without a jarring note.

This is not what one could call a "learned" tome, it would never be described as a deep read, but is all the better for it as it is such an absorbing read. It is such a simple idea I only wish I had thought of it first - or could write a hundredth as well as Mr Bryson.

Quite remarkable really.
on 4 October 2011
I feel a bit of a meanie giving this book three stars as it's really not a bad book. But with Bill Bryson's name on it, I was expecting something better.

The biggest problem with this book is that it doesn't seem to know what it is. By that, I mean that I'm not sure that Bill Bryson really knew what the core idea (as opposed to the structure) was, and the publishers seem unsure as how the book should be presented and marketed. What it certainly isn't is "a short history of private life", which is the cover strapline. Having just finished it, it seems to be more like a history of house and garden in the UK/US with the focus up to the mid 19th century, when Bryson's own home was built.

The book takes the form of a tour through Bill Bryson's country rectory, room by room, giving us a history of how that area came to be. Some of the connections are tight - the "garden" chapter is about gardens and the "nursery" chapter is about childhood, but others are rather tenuous. Within these chapters, peopled with fascinating and eccentric characters and their stories, for the most part entertainingly told, there is plenty of interest and I can't imagine anyone reading this through without having at least one or two "aha!" moments. I did find, however, that the latter chapters of the book - bedroom and bathroom especially, seemed to lapse into an adult version of "Horrible Histories" - as if Bill Bryson had raided the school library and spiced the nastiness up with a sprinkling of adult material.

The book is good at getting us from pre-history to the 19th century but it fizzles out there. I'd love to read Bryson's take on the developments in home life in the 20th century and up to the present day. But maybe this'll be the subject of his next book.
on 1 August 2012
I do find that only a minority of the contents of this book are related to the title, as he just completely goes off on tangents a lot of the time. It seems like he is just trying to show how much information he knows on any subject, then tenuously tries to link it back in to `At Home' However, this is my first Bill Bryson book, so maybe they are all the same....
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse