Format: PaperbackChange

VINE VOICEon 1 September 2008
Stick Man is an inspired and engaging character (descended I am sure from the cave-stick-man my children and I loved in The Gruffalo's Child). A stick is universally popular with small children so a little living stick couldn't fail to appeal to them. Stick Man's adventures mirror the many things for which children use their sticks. Mistaken for an ordinary stick, Stick Man is thrown to a dog, used as a Pooh-stick, put on a sandcastle as a flag, amongst other things, each time travelling further and further from his family tree. How will he get home?
Although the first half of the book is in bright sunshine colours, the winter kicks in and we have a sad shivering Stick Man and snowy pages. Stick Man ends up in the grate (a brief scary moment for the child listener!) but luckily, Santa descends and there's a happy Christmas-time ending: it's a perfect Xmas present for preschoolers.
The story is told with Donaldson's trademark rollicking rhythm and rhyme, and catchy repetitive phrases children love to join in with. Scheffler's bold illustrations are bursting with approachable large-eyed characters and a wry humour (my children loved the Gruffalo-bauble of the Christmas tree) making this another fine and warm-hearted cracker from this magical duo.
33 comments168 of 172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 16 October 2008
Yet again, Julia Donaldson has written a wonderful tale about Stick Man and his adventures. I love the way her stories rhyme in a fast paced way which delights both me and my 7 year old son. Even my 10 year old son loved to have the story read to him.

The book is beautifully illustrated with attention to detail which always makes it a refreshing read for children.

The story has a Christmas theme twist at the end which is truly delightful.

I would recommend this book as a gift, it will be thoroughly enjoyed!
0Comment23 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 October 2013
Click Man lives in the family house
With his Click Daughter Jess and his Click Lady Spouse

One day he goes shopping but not in a shop
Just tapping and clicking upon a laptop.

He searches for Jessie a story for bed:
An ode that may help to lay down her sweet head.

She likes "Each Peach Pear Plum" and loves "Goodnight Moon"
But what else might spin up a verbal cocoon?

The Gruffalo stories were quite a success.
Could others of that ilk anaesthetise Jess?

Researching this author he comes across one
That features a Stick Man, a girl and a swan.

A click "add to basket", a click to checkout
A click on card payment confirms there's no doubt.

Then after a few days the chug of a van
A door slam then footsteps - it's Doug the Postman!

A rustle, a tussle, an opening sack
An up-swinging letterbox, clickety-clack
A shove and a push, a squeeze through the slat...
Then down falls an object - it lands on the mat.

Click Man arrives with a hop and a skip
He picks up the packet and tears down the strip
Then unfolds the cardboard with practiced technique
And flicks the book's pages to have a sneak peek.

The pictures are perfect, the rhymes are just right
The narrative flawless - a simple delight.

That evening the story's recited to Jess
She's entranced and transfixed - an untold success!

But who'd tap a sequel so more people knew?
I'm Click Man, I'm Click Man
I'M CLICK MAN, that's who!
And I'm clicking right here on a 5-star review.
55 comments38 of 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 October 2008
We've had this book for almost three weeks. I've read it to my two and a half year old son approximately 56 times. I've been woken up with the book on my head. I've found him sat outside the toilet with the book in wait. If anybody asks I am now Stick Man, Stick Man that's me!
Still, at least Tiddler can have a break from being late.
Story is as rich as all of Julia's and the artwork seems to have reached a new level. If Charlie Cook ever got hold of this he'd have a new favourite.
11 comment233 of 243 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 December 2008
I felt compelled to review this book because my 4 year old boy loves it so much. Since we discovered "Room on the Broom" 5 years ago with our daughter we have always read and loved JD/AS books in our house. "Snail and the Whale" being another favourite. I can't explain why he loves this book so much (other than the catchy repetitive text and typically beautiful and descriptive pictures)but he insists on having it read to him every night and then reads it himself (well- tries to) and brings it in our room first thing in the morning to be read again! DEEP JOY....
0Comment26 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 October 2008
My 4 yr old daughter BEGGED me for this after someone brought into her school. She cries and laughs every time and loves the details in the pictures. Can't think of a book that has ever captured her imagination so much. She is very worried when I prepare the fire....
on 20 November 2008
Stick Man is a fantastic book which my 2 girls who are 7 and 4 and I love. It flows really well (something I didn't find with Tiddler) and the story is just great. This probably now equals Snail and the Whale as one of my favourite kids books ever.
on 12 August 2009
I think I liked just as much as my daughter! The alliteration is as good as in the rest of the books, and it never gets boring! The illustrations are as excellent as ever, and the suspense in the story is also there. Keep them coming!
on 8 August 2009
This was given to my 4 year old last Christmas and he hasn't let me put it away with all the other Christmas books. We have to read it at least once a week so it's obviously a great hit with him.

Really nice story, great illustrations and use of colour. Well worth buying.
on 3 November 2010
A great book for youngsters to read during winter/X'mas time, STICK MAN from the artists of ROOM ON THE BOOM offers another unique story about the family tree dad who is content with his beautiful Stick Lady Love and stick children three, is one day chased away from home by a dog and hurls into worlds of danger. No one can see he is "a stick man" that is needed and loved by a family - the girl throws him into the river, the swan weaves him into nest, the man makes him a sandcastle flag, the children makes him into a pen, a bow and a boomerang. Poor stick man has suffered and loses his hope of returning home and as he finally gets picked up as a stick to be burned for the fireplace, only a miracle can save him. And miracle does happen on Christmas night! The Stick Man is in the right place to save the "Stuck Man"(the gift-delivering Santa stuck inside the chimney). Carrying home by a grateful Santa for his family reunion, this book ends with a heartwarming note that may teach children to use their imagination and extend their compassion and love to be gentle to all living things for even a twig may belong to a family. The readers will have fun looking at the stick family holding hands, carrying their baby for a picnic and enjoy quality playtime together just like all of us.