Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 February 2014
This is great...me being a silver surfer finds computer jargon and new programs difficult so changing to Windows 8.1 was horrendous for me. This book and video has made life so much easier as the wording is easy to understand. I don't hesitate recommending this to everyone old or young...go for it!
on 30 January 2014
This edition of Windows, and being a pensioner, is so different to any other OS that this book is a lifeline.
Every aspect is explained in a one to one manner that I have had very few problems and I am working my way through and enjoying every moment.
If you are new to Windows 8 or 8.1, the book will answer most of your questions and give you LOTS of helpful advice. The author is open and fair in his criticisms of Windows 8/8.1 and tells you how to get round most of its shortcomings and design errors. Without this book, Windows 8 could easily drive you NUTS, as your years of Windows skills and experience don't seem to work any more. Andy Rathbone shows that this impression is not the whole truth.

First, I quickly learned how to avoid the tiled Start screen nearly all the time, and that's vital to know if you are using a desktop PC and mouse rather than a touchscreen device, and want to work from the Windows desktop. Then I learned where things are -- so many important parts of Windows 8 are hidden. They are not hard to do, just hard to find.

This is one of the best Dummies books, avoiding the lame humour (humor) and long-windedness that spoils many of the titles. Got a new computer with Windows 8? Then I think it's worth spending a few more pounds on this book. Of course, this is meant for intelligent computer users, not techies or IT support staff.
on 13 January 2014
Excellent and detailed content, as I moved from Windows XP Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro, I found this made the transition seamless and refer to it daily.
on 18 January 2014
Just bought a new laptop which came with Windows 8. After all the bad press I was rather worried about it, and all at sea after many years of using XP. This book has helped me to get to grips with the operating system and I now think it is not as bad as many reviewers make out. Very helpful guide.
on 27 June 2014
A great dip in and learn book that is not patronising. Written in a light hearted style that really is an essential guide to users who are new to Windows 8. I was happy with Windows and its incremental upgrades but Windows 8 offers much more than its predecessors and a useful guide, backed up by a highly watchable video guide, helps the user to maximise their ability to use the new functions and acquaint themselves with what Windows 8 has to offer.
on 28 December 2013
The difference between a professional and a talented amateur shows. This author;s book is a masterpiece, Get out there and buy one.
on 30 June 2014
Very useful to get the confidence to get started. However, once started found Windows 8.1 quite easy, and not as difficult as everyone said. But it is nice to have something to refer to should the going get tough at any point. Very clear and unambiguous
on 20 May 2014
Ordered this when I got my new computer, but really most of the information in the book can be learned by trial-and-error. It doesn't delve into the real guts of it. I suppose if you really are a "dummy" (not dumb, just not computer-literate) it has some use. I'm definitely not buying any more of these types of books. They're just too basic. Also be warned: all screen shots, photos, and illustrations are only in black-and-white. I suppose they do that as it's cheaper, but for software programs, you really need color.
on 10 June 2014
Windows 8.1 was so different to what I knew from windows XP. it was difficult to get my head round some of the new ideas. It is extremely confusing at first but once you understand what you are doing, it is fine.
It's then a question of remembering how it's done - don't leave too much time before you pick it up again.
There were parts towards the end of the book which I still can't manage so I am now using the DVD to try and fill in those gaps.