on 18 March 2013
It was fairly useful when I first used the iPad, but I found it difficult to follow, particularly as one has to jump from section to section. At one point I had to return the iPad to factory settings as I'd got into such a muddle - and I'm reasonably computer literate.
on 31 December 2013
"iPad For Seniors For Dummies" written by Nancy C. Muir is quite similar to "iPad For Dummies" by Bob LeVitus, another recently issued book in the ...For Dummies series.
Both books for their theme have iPad device, allowing the reader to learn in the shortest time how to use iPad Air, iPad with Retina Display, iPad 2 and earlier iPad models.

"iPad For Seniors For Dummies" puts special emphasis on the elderly, therefore in certain topics entering deeply into the detail, that is reasonable considering the audience it addresses, that are not used to gadgets and all technological revolution that has occurred in recent years.
Although I'm not part of the audience for whom this book is written, I especially like its beginning where the author in an intuitive and user-friendly way is explaining how to choose the model of the iPad and its accessories, together with all of their characteristics on which attention should be paid depending on the user's interests.

After such interesting start, the authors in second big chapter included information about most important options setting, about Internet browsing and e-mail communication, how to get social with your cool gadget, how to purchase things and what are the most useful applications that can be found in App Store.
In following chapter, audio / video media is discussed, how to use iPad as e-book reader, how to play music and browse photos, watch videos and play games.
The book last chapter is probably the most interesting because it provides information about managing your life using Apple device, helping things make on time, finding and managing friends, even talking to your device when there is no other friend around...

"iPad For Seniors For Dummies" is book intended and will be mostly enjoyed by those readers who know nothing or very little about iPad, due to its instructions and pictures that are of good quality and easy to follow for older users that are using iPad for the first time.
Therefore this book primarily can be recommended to these groups of readers, while advanced and more experienced users should be recommended to search their answers in some other edition.
0Comment26 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 June 2013
A very easy book to follow, One that I will dip into when I want to do something different on the iPad.
on 13 January 2014
Having had an iPad for Christmas and only been used to operating lap tops we needed a simple instruction manual and so far this version 6 has been invaluable which is easy to understand, so would highly reccommend to others like ourselves who are seniours who have learnt this technology in later life.
on 14 May 2013
I like the book because it's easy to refer to, set out simply and has clear pictures to explain the text. It does not tell me how to delete information, as much as I would like. It would help to have a glossary, as it's for beginners.
I would and have already recommended it to others.
on 28 January 2014
Excellent for my husband who hadn't used an iPad before. Very easy instructions to follow. I even learnt a few shortcuts
on 19 August 2013
We bought the book after buying an ipad, hoping it could help getting to know the less obvious features. Unfortunately it is very basic, if you have any knowledge about email and web browsing, you do not need this book. look elsewhere.
on 13 March 2013
I have used the Dummies book series for a number of computing and office applications and found them very informative and this book is no exception.
I would recommend it to anyone.
on 24 April 2014
I bought this for my wife, who although an experienced Windows PC user, was 'jumping ship' to AppleMac. We have ended up with three of these publications, as no single one has all the answers. The book is the usual 'dummies' format, which I have found useful in the past for Windows systems. None of them has answered all the basic questions, although there is ample information concerning all the multifarious things you can do with this equipment. Hence I give it three stars. The system is different from mainstream Apple ones, such as Maverick, which I find easy. This one though presents a challenge and maybe we are more 'dummy' than we thought - hence such books! As a footnote, due to our experiences, I have opted for a Chromebook, which is just dandy.
on 12 June 2013
Very. Useful book for those with little or no experience with iPad technology it is very helpful in a simply explained manner. A good reference book to find tips and tricks.