on 11 April 2014
Thought provoking and easy to read. Focuses back on traditional values of living a good and happy life, rather than getting burned out by the rat-race lifestyle many of us are getting tired of. Also a fair point that if we want to create a society where women play a role at top management level, we need to create a more sustainable business culture, where people are measured and promoted according to results and not facetime or 24/7 availability. This is the only way women will ever be able and willing to combine a high-responsibility management career with bringing up a family. We are dependent on both to ensure the economic wellbeing of future generations.
on 3 August 2014
I recommend reading this book every day to remind ourselves about how wonderful it is to be living. Even when times are tough, Huffington reminds us that giving will increase our wellbeing. The simple act of opening our eyes each morning is a miracle and our job is to share our talents with the world.
on 19 May 2015
Thrive is an inspirational mirror for all of us; I found myself many times questioning myself about the things emphasized in the book. The basic insight is "there is no absolute truth for manhood" but you need to continue reading, interacting, learning and most importantly questioning yourself and others to come as close as possible towards that "truth" and balance in life. In the book you are given many facts and evidence to motivate you for searching for more. Easy read and still quite insightful.
on 1 April 2014
Its a very down to earth book and written from the heart. Challenges the writers lifestyle and how to define life, its about well being, wisdom and wonder, the need for us all to change happiness from feeling good and doing good and reconnecting ourselves. Nowadays we all get wake up calls which usually we would act on, but sometimes a book is written by a writer who shows how her struggles and challenges eventually catch up on her and she transforms herself by using meditation, giving, laughter , mindfulness and sleep.
on 1 August 2014
The reason that Arianna has more time to relax and have more time to herself is because she can write a book this short and I paid good money to read it. For someone who is a writer and an accomplished woman, this should have been a fascinating and informative read. Sadly, it lacked in any real content and to call it thin is an understatement.
on 1 May 2015
I just could not Get into this at all. I read about a third of the book and I abandoned. I do agree with her that we are suffering from info overload and need to pull back from being online and get back to just being.
on 29 September 2014
Very useful book from an idol. It's very interesting at some points, but a bit too much of statistics through the book. I read it with intervals, but overall, gives another perspective about your work life and your alternatives.
on 20 March 2015
This was only OK. I was hoping for some original and clever insights but it was just more of the same I'm afraid. Arianna Huffington must have thousands of interesting stories but all we got was 'Get more sleep'. Hmmm.
on 24 March 2014
Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Life of Well-Being, Wisdom, and Wonder by Arianna Huffington is a truly inspiring and refreshing book everyone should read. The deluge of books for reviews almost prevented me from having a look. I am glad I managed to squeeze in time to discover what this book is all about.

In the book, Huffington spells out how one can live a great and healthy life. Her insightful advice coupled with her wonderful writing style makes the book really enjoyable. Her sage and sane advice about getting enough sleep, meditations and shifting one's core values beyond the control of money and power is truly life-changing and thought-provoking. This, in essence, is "the third metric." It is an attempt to redefine success and create a vibrant life full of wisdom and wonder.

One important aspect of the book is its advice to unplug from technology and social media. In a world hooked to the social media such advice may seem ill-conceived but from Huffington's perspective it is badly needed. Though the book has its own shortcomings, I honestly believe that many readers will take some of the advice to heart and be inspired to redefine success, create a life of well-being, wisdom and wonder the Arianna Huffington-way.
22 comments22 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The whole idea behind this book is that achieving power and wealth can only take you so far in life and no one at the end of their life wishes that they'd made more money or had more power. People need to appreciate that they cannot work 24/7 and that looking after their bodies and minds is just as important. Covering issues such as lack of sleep being seen as a badge of honour and taking a break from electronic communications, this is an interesting read though if you read self help books regularly you may have come across a lot of the material before.

The author provided plenty of references for the research and evidence she quotes and the book is written in an easy approachable style as though a good friend is telling you about her life and experiences. Like many busy women the author found herself burning the candle at both ends and eventually collapsed through exhaustion. This made her look critically at her life and she started to make more time for her family and for herself instead of feeling she had to be available to everyone round the clock.

Anyone interested in making sure that their life contains enough down time and spiritual refreshment could do worse than read this book. It encourages technology free periods, meditation, getting enough sleep and generally looking after yourself. There are comprehensive notes and details of all the references, some useful appendices and an index. For those wanting to buy the e-book version the footnotes work very well. I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley for review purposes.