Format: PaperbackChange

on 20 July 2011
I only give 5 stars when a textbook serves you the A grade on the plate (or at least with all the means to reach it), this is one.
I can guarantee you that if you do every single question right you will not score below 90% in the exam. You may not get 100% even if you answer all the questions because you most likely dropped method marks, it happened to me and I scored 92%. Edexcel is known to be the easiest board to score an A in maths and this is also due to the excellent material they supply you with.
The book also contains a CD with questions walked through to the answers. On the other hand the textbook prepares you to each topic with "examples" on how to answer the new questions. Usually these examples use questions which are fairly easy to understand. The scope is for you to struggle when you get to the actual questions so that you keep stimulating your mind until you get it. Once you do understand it then you know that things look bright.
Past papers are not difficult at all once you have covered all the questions in the book.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 25 August 2010
I am a teacher of another subject who wanted to teach Maths and came to these as the standard text.

Some have criticised the graphical layout; I'm actually 48 and I find it really lovely and a REALLY BIG HELP in following the text. In my opinion, the use of colour and layout are imaginative, to the point and a complete positive.

It wouldn't be, if the content wasn't so good; this is light-years ahead of the irrelevant, stuffy books we had when I did my A Level #^* years ago - the authors focus very clearly on the syllabus - not surprising considering who they are. There is everything you need to teach yourself here.

Living in the real world as I do, I can say that there's more than enough to save you from a bad teacher which may be a CRITICAL difference to you.

The CD includes a Solution Bank - this shows 1) Every Question in the Book 2) A Hint for each queston to get you started in answering it 3) A Worked Example of how to do each question. All together, this is an invaluable resource.

You may find that it doesn't work on your browser - it was designed for an earlier version of Internet Explorer and doesn't work on later versions of any browser. If you want to use Solution Bank, install Firefox, visit 'Youtube' and type 'Solution Bank Firefox' into the search box. You'll get very easy instructions on how to get it to work (you have to change one number in one place - not hard).

This was the easiest way to get it to work that I found.

Absolutely recommended.
on 11 January 2012
I wanted to learn A Level Maths in my own time & own pace. This book explains every aspect with step by step instructions in a thoroughly brilliant manner. The layout is beautiful too.

I would suggest to my fellow Amazonians to use the books in this series to grasp the basic concept of A Level Maths.

The traditional older A Level books seem to be too brief in the their explanations and as such not sufficient for self study.

This book breaks the mould by explaining the subject in an extremely understandable way!
on 26 June 2012
I took A-level maths fifteen years ago and have now repeated the course as a mature student. This series proved an excellent resource to self-teach, leaving me able to answer all past paper questions and tackle the actual exams with total confidence. The accompanying CD's, which have worked through answers to all the questions, are an invaluable addition. There are the very occasional wrong answers printed in the textbook although these can be easily identified through the workings.

Whilst I did use other books for some modules, I found that they offered very little, if anything, over this series in terms of the A-level course. What this series does not do is stray from the A-level syllabus, and consequently the context of questions could prove somewhat limited for those seeking a more comprehensive understanding of pre-university maths. However, the absolute focus on the syllabus is ideal for those seeking no more than to pass A-level exams.

I found the high standard of the material to be consistent throughout the books for C1 to C4 plus M1 and M2.
on 16 June 2012
Top book well easy to read and straight forward examples and good questions it's simple and what you need for AsMaths. The Best thing is I should say the proffesional working out examples which really encourage you to do your best and never confuse you. From the image it looked like a fat book but no way near nice and handy for easy insert in bags etc. The Bonus is the ANSWERS are at the back honestly thats amazing most books require you going on A CD but not this one it's made by helpfull people plus it has a Live text CD which is usefull when using the computer and your fed up of the textbook my ratings - 10/10 top book buy asap
on 23 July 2013
Like: used to self teach myself A-level maths and had clear instructions on how to solve the problems in each section
the CD is VERY useful as it does give you walkthroughs of how to do each question on the CD

Dislike: the worked examples in the book are only on the easy-medium difficulty questions and none on the harder ones but this can be solved by using other resources such as a website called exam solutions

Overall I think it is definitely worth buying
on 13 October 2015
After taking ages to arrive I was horrified to find that after paying more than £17 for this book that the quality is abysmal .The text is blurry and in places totally illegible . The only reason I havent returned it is because my daughter has to have this book for college and it is very hard to find it anywhere else .With regard to the contents I believe that is sub standard too , but unfortunately is a course requirement .
on 29 October 2013
It's a great book that will be essential for your maths course, don't forget to also pickup the C2 book as well.
on 18 October 2015
It's an okay book that you have to buy for the Edexcel exam. Too expensive though, especially as there is one (slim) book per unit. And it's a bit out of date - some of the questions are based on the previous exam specification.
Has answers at the back but the worked solutions are only on the enclosed CD-ROM, which is very difficult to access fully because it needs XML.
on 26 December 2014
A-level maths consist of 4 core and 2 elect units. These edexcel books are all you need to go through the A-level in combination with online tutorial videos you can find on the internet (for free).

Practice makes perfect. But the bite size format makes the A-level mathematics course that much more approachable.

Best of luck to you all.