Format: PaperbackChange

on 24 April 2014
I read My Mad Fat Diary and My Mad(der) Fat(ter) Diary after seeing Series 1 & 2 of My Mad Fat Diary on E4 and 4oD. It was fascinating to find out which of the code-named boys was the real Finn, who was the real Chop, and who Chloe really was, etc.

I don't want to put too many spoilers for the book here. Suffice to say that Tom Bidwell added some interesting stuff when he wrote his TV screenplay, but there are many things in the book which did get included in the TV series. When you read the diaries you get a deeper insight into why Rae sometimes teased boys she was secretly in love with; and why she often pretended she just saw them as friends. Her fears went beyond a simple loathing of herself or her body. Watch out for a huge revelation halfway through the second book.

Throughout both books there is Rae Earl's wonderful witty sense of humour. The way she describes music she hates never fails to be hilarious. There are also some very sad moments that can move you to tears.

What I love is that Rae Earl went through all of that roller-coaster of emotions and tribulations in her teens, and now candidly shares it all with us in two wonderful books. It's so amazing to think that while she was going through all of those experiences, she had no idea that she would one day be a famous, successful author - and lucky in love as well.

- Sara Russell aka @pinkyandrexa on twitter
on 9 September 2008
After the first few pages I had decided that I identified with fat, mad, Rae more than any person, real or fictional, in my entire life. The whole thing reads remarkably similar to my own teenage diary.

I would recommend this book to anyone who has ever been told they were the funny one and really, really hated it.
0Comment27 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 April 2014
I decided to read this book after the impressive TV series, which brilliantly portrayed the whole late Eighties life in Lincolnshire, and being a teenager, going to raves and being obsessed with guys. I also loved the fact that Rae's illness was very much highlighted in the series. Here, it was the biggest disappointment that the book did not really talk about Rae's mental issues, I would not even think how serious her condition was, but it almost made me cry, the way it was portrayed in the series. "My Fat, Mad Teenage Diary", the book, still made me laugh and I still enjoyed Rae's and her philosophising (and her poems!), but the book was just not enough... I understand that the diary is real extracts from Rae Earl's original diaries, but, perhaps, they were edited a bit too much, almost feeling a bit flimsy.

Earl's style is enjoyable and I found myself amused her humour (and, I repeat, her poems!). I wasn't bored reading this book, I just expected more from it. More on serious mental issues and growing up, less of salivating over boys. I kept reminding myself that I should take "My Fat, Mad Teenage Diary" at face value. There's no amazing plot line and and it's not a story with beginning and end. It's an actual diary of a 17-year old girl.

I think this will be a good book for all the teenage girls going through the uncomfortable stage of growing up. The books reminded me a lot about Georgia Nicolson and her adventures Georgia Nicolson Pack, 10 books, RRP £75.89 (including Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging; Are These My Basoomas?; Dancing In My Nuddy-Pants; It's OK I'm Wearing Really Big Knickers; Knocked Out By My Nunga-Nungas; and more). - those were hilarious.
on 19 January 2013
Rae's diary made me laugh and cry. Rae, you are a legend. I hope you follow this up with what happened after.
on 24 June 2013
I decided to read this book because I had watched and enjoyed the recent Channel 4 series. I quickly realised though that the book is quite different from the series and initially felt a little bit disappointed. The appeal of the series for me was mainly that it was set in the late 90's when I too was a teenager. It brought back so many memories. The book however is set in 1989, when I was only 4. As I read on though and dropped my expectations I started to really enjoy it. It's completely 100% cringeworthy at points but it's so realistic and close to some of the nonsence I myself put on paper as a teenager. The ability to be completely in love with a different boy every week - often on repeat/shuffle was something that brought back a lot of memories for me and made me grin a lot. The diary is real, and written deadly seriously but is absolutely hilerious! The self-centered attitude and the complete irony of some of the statements she comes out with is laugh out loud funny. Ugh - aren't be just awful creatures as teenagers! lol
on 3 March 2014
Read in less than three days, was strangely unable to put it down. Thought it was inspiring, honest and quite hilarious. Can't wait to read book 2:) strongly recommend to all teenage girls.
on 27 March 2013
Every so often a book comes along that really strikes a chord and makes you feel from the first page that you are part of the story. My Mad Fat Diary is one such book.

I felt such an affinity with Rae when reading her diary, so much so that at times I felt like I could have been reading my own teen diary from the 90s. It would appear that no matter what the decade, or the writer, some things in a teenager's life never change. And Rae for the most part is no different. She argues with her mum on a seemingly daily basis; never has any money; has inappropriate crushes on just about every male she knows; and is obsessed with music. The only difference is, as we start the book, Rae has just been released from a psychiatric ward after suffering from a 'total nervous breakdown' (her words, not mine). So it's clear that Rae has a few more problems than just keeping out of her mum's bad books and trying to bag herself a boyfriend.

Her other 'problem' is her weight. Stuck in a time when 5' 4", 14 stone girls were still unusual (especially in fairly sheltered Lincolnshire towns anyway), Rae is subjected to a daily onslaught of taunts from practically everyone including some of her friends. But what sounds like a depressing, morose book is actually the polar opposite. It's engaging, interesting and downright, laugh-out-loud funny at times. Although a little whiney and self righteous in places (but then what 17 year old isn't at times), Rae mainly just comes across as a loveable yet insecure young woman who makes up for what (she thinks) she lacks with humour and sarcasm. Her diary entries are by turn touching, annoying, funny and a bit gloomy but most importantly something EVERYONE can relate to. Just as Rae so often does in her diary, I can vividly remember rushing home to record the conversation I'd just had with my crush of the moment in my diary, desperate to capture every word and every look (real or imagined) on paper so I could go over it later and look for 'signs' that he really liked me!!

It is fair to say that the book is markedly different to the TV series, so anyone picking this up expecting to read a near identical 'story' will be disappointed. You can often see where the TV episodes would have been lifted from in the original, but the characters names, personalities and most of the events don't scan the same and don't happen in the same way. However, that doesn't make either one better than the other; they both stand up to scrutiny on their own merits. However, if I had to choose I would go for the book version hands down. It's nowhere near as polished, but that just adds to the charm and realism and gives you more opportunities to say out loud (or think in your head), 'I know how you're feeling' or 'that was me!!'

I have heard recent rumours that Rae Earl is considering releasing a prequel and sequel to My Mad Fat Diary and I sincerely hope it's true. 17 year old Rae is a joy to read and I would love nothing more than to get to know her even better...!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 March 2014
I have never felt more connected to someone, never felt so understood like I did understanding Rae's struggles and every day ups and downs. she's the most amazing person in the world, I want to loose myself in her diary again and again.

if you have ever felt half of the things Rae has you will more than understand her, you will relate to her in a way that looking back at your younger years is neither upsetting or making you angry anymore, it makes you realize other people go through the same s*** as you did, no matter where or when.
on 8 May 2013
I was excited about reading this 1989 diary by a teenager experiencing an eating disorder (compulsive eating) as it is so close to my own book (1989 diary by an unstable teenager experiencing bulimia).

Rae Earl is hilarious. I laughed out loud so many times (just follow her on Twitter too: @RaeEarl. She is stellar). Rae is seventeen, fat, recovering from a nervous breakdown, and aching to get laid. The lads can't see past the fat ... so she keeps eating.

That's it, in a nutshell. And it's wonderfully expressed, interwoven with thrilling period references (music, types of food, having to ring her friend from a phone box down the road) and episodes of "mutual antipathy" between Rae and her loopy mother.

This book is a good reminder about how much people often suffer psychologically and the pains they take to cover it from view.

I enjoyed reading Rae's diary too with the foresight I had gained from following her on Twitter and from having read a number of articles about her current life. I was soothed by the knowledge that she did turn her life around and pull off those teenage dreams of becoming a presenter and a writer and of ... *getting laid.* Good for her.

Natasha Holme
Author of 'Lesbian Crushes and Bulimia: A Diary on How I Acquired my Eating Disorder'
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 April 2014
Bought this book because I've LOVED watching the drama on E4. The show is very loosely based on the novel but it is sltill fabulous. The book follows a year of Rae Earl's life as a 17/18 year old. If you were her age in 1989 you'd probably love it even more as you could relate to stuff more ie the classic 80s music. However anyone should read this if they want to cry, laugh and sing out loud! Loved it