on 25 April 2014
I couldn't put this down thoroughly enjoying Amanda Owen"s descriptions of life and work on a remote hill farm. She tells how life really is with humour and panache. The book is also an unabashed advert for large families pulling together as they used to, happy without the trappings of the consumer society. Do read and enjoy this book.
on 4 May 2014
What an ideal lifestyle (though I am well aware it is not all rose tinted). This book portrays exactly how children should be allowed to develop. If only more of us could take an example from this book, far better child rearing advice than some more disciplinarian advisers! Please write more Amanda.
on 14 April 2014
I read this book in 2 days - loved reading about Alison and Clive and their growing family in the wolds of Ravenseat. Alison's story shows both the highs and lows of farming and living in such a remote location.
Having seen Alison and Clive both on the Coast to Coast programme with Julia Bradbury and ITV's The Dales series presented by Ade Edmondson I was interested to read more about their lives and adventures.

Definitely a book for fans of the Yorkshire Dales.
on 6 May 2014
Loved this book. Took me back to my childhood, of which the first 7 years were spent about 10 - 11 miles away from Ravenseat as the crow flies, north easterly. Wonderful descriptions of life as it is rarely lived now - but what way for children to learn! I read it on kindle, and follow Amanda on Twitter - such a pleasure!
on 24 April 2014
Utterly absorbing and engaging - beautifully written insight to the real Yorkshire dales and a lovely family. Couldn't put it down!
on 6 May 2014
This is a wonderful book, I could not put it down.

Amanda has written from the heart, telling the inspiring story of her life, marriage to Clive and the arrival of there fantasic family.

What an inspiration to us all. I cannot wait for the next book.
on 24 April 2014
Free range children indeed. What a wonderful childhood, not to mention education. The book kept me interested all the way through. Entertaining, informative & a lesson to the rest of us that there is an amazing world out there in our own countryside beyond the tv & internet.
on 6 May 2014
BRILLIANT BOOK great read .wonderful insight to the world of farming and bringing up a family. Hardworking and loyal to each other and to the animals and land.
on 26 April 2014
A funny, heartwarming and inspiring true story of life as a shepherdess in one of the most remote and beautiful spots in England.

Amanda Owen has been seen by millions on ITV's The Dales, living a life that has almost gone in today's modern world, a life ruled by the seasons and her animals. She is a farmer's wife and shepherdess, living alongside her husband Clive and seven children at Ravenseat, a 2000 acre sheep hill farm at the head of Swaledale in North Yorkshire. It's a challenging life but one she loves.

In The Yorkshire Shepherdess she describes how the rebellious girl from Huddersfield, who always wanted to be a shepherdess, achieved her dreams. Full of amusing anecdotes and unforgettable characters, the book takes us from fitting in with the locals to fitting in motherhood, from the demands of the livestock to the demands of raising a large family in such a rural backwater. Amanda also evokes the peace of winter, when they can be cut off by snow without electricity or running water, the happiness of spring and the lambing season, and the backbreaking tasks of summertime - haymaking and sheepshearing - inspiring us all to look at the countryside and those who work there with new appreciation.
on 19 June 2016
A well written insight of working and living on a farm in a remote place. Amanda is an incredible person who enjoys every aspect of her life both on the farm and with her husband and children. Once I started reading this book I felt compelled to read until the end and thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to reading the sequel. My utmost respect goes to Amanda I don't know how she finds time to help run their farm, look after her children, run her tea shop and all that brings PLUS write books. I take my hat off to her.